Anxiety and HERBS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anxiety and HERBS?

I have suffered from Social Anxiety and General Anxiety all my life, and I have tried about 19 medications and seen countless doctors. Nothing much ever helped, the only thing that helped a touch was Clonzepam, and thats only because it sedated me.

Anyhow I gave up on doctors and medications about 2 years ago, however I am still suffering from crippling anxiety to this day which pretty much makes daily life miserable.

I have been thinking about trying out some natural remedies, and was wondering if anyone on here has ever had much luck? Valerian Root is what I am going to try first.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions!
    Filed 10/20/08
    Discharged 1/27/09

Ummm... thought you were talking about something else. Actually I thought this was one of those rogue postings.

Is there a specific reason you gave up on the pharmaceutical remedies for anxiety? Or, you didn't like feeling like a zombie from taking them?

I'm no medical doctor... but if the traditional treatments aren't working, I hope you're able to find a non-traditional method. Have you tried meditation or some other relaxing thing like Yoga or something?

I'm probably not very helpful, but I hope you do better.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I was afraid the topic sounded... off... but it was innocent I swear!

I stopped taking medications because to be honest not one actually helped, not enough to make up for the side effects at least. And yes being a ZOMBIE was part of daily life, but I have much more horrible side effects then being out of it. EFEXXOR had to of been the worst, made me hear "machines" churning inside my head. Took me 2 months to get over the withdrawls also. Horrible medication!

I have heard some natural remedies work, Valerian root has some sedative properties that actually effect parts of the brain many anti depressents do. However as with anything "natural" there is much debate in the medical field if they really do anything at all!

I would think someone around here, being that we are all under financial stress has tried something along those lines. And I am curious if anything made a difference. I have thought about going back into treatment, but I have been waiting and hoping something new comes along on the market to try as I have exhausted all my options!
      Filed 10/20/08
      Discharged 1/27/09

Comment

Have had major stress all my life and controlled it with camomile and yoga. Worked extemely well. These days I would be hard pressed to find anything that gives me stress as long as everyone in the family stays in good health.

Have you ever tried to examine the root of the anxiety?

If your problem is so extreme that you have had to be on meds for years though, you might need to stay on them. Have you asked a doctor why they are not working?

Comment

I have had social Anxiety problems since I was a young child. I have seen doctors my entire life. They ruled that it was a biological problem with my brain, rather then a traumatic event.

I had therapy growing up trying to find the root of the problem. Nothing much ever came of it, and I also do not avoid going out in the world and hitting the situations head on. However it never improves.

The reason I stopped taking medications is for the reason I mentioned, nothing made much of an improvement. It was costing a fortune and the side effects out weighed any small benefit I got. The doctors were baffled, they tried different combonations over the years and kept assuring me we just had to find the right mix.

Anyhow I was just curious if anyone has tried anything, and to find out if it really works. I will seek out the Camomile and give that a try, thanks for the suggestion!
          Filed 10/20/08
          Discharged 1/27/09

Comment

Try Seredyn - it contains pure L-theanine, valerian and passion flower extract. The studies report excellant results (up to 85%) for people with chronic anxiety. go to seredyn.com
            Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
            341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
            Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

Thanks Relief I will check it out!
              Filed 10/20/08
              Discharged 1/27/09

Comment

i have it horribly, tried everything herbal under the sun....didnt work. went to a psychiatrist, tried everything under the sun except xanax, every doctor refuses to prescribe xanax but its the only thing that helps best, i finally got put on effexor and before i took it i was reading up online and scared to death to take it, but i said id try it for a month and so far it helps cure the anxiety better than anything i been prescribed, so im actually glad i tried it.
                retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
                10/30/10- WEDDING!!
                09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

Effexxor was by far the worst medication I have been on, and I have been on tons. I even have a list to try and keep track!

Effexor XR
                  Wellbutrin XL
                  Paxil CR
                  Gabitril
                  Zyprexa
                  Lexapro
                  Trazodone
                  Remeron
                  Buspirone
                  Lithium
                  Clonazepam
                  Lamictal
                  Wellburtrin XL
                  Abilify
                  Geodon

In any event I ended up on 375mg of Effexxor XR and started to have really bad side effects about 3 months in. And then it took me about 3 months to get over the withdraw symptoms! Not trying to scare you, hopefully you can get by ok with it!

I am going to go ahead and give Kava and Valerian each a shot, its cheap enough so why not! If it helps at all (I am a skeptic) I will report back!
                  Filed 10/20/08
                  Discharged 1/27/09

Comment

Originally posted by fltoo View Post
                    camomile
                    mmmm, I love camomile in my green tea. Every day I drink some.

Comment

Am I mistaken or was it you, Bandit, that said you have a garden?

You can grow camomile easily. After harvesting, just tie the stalks and hang upside down to dry out to use for tea. Cover it with a cloth or paper towels, anything not plastic to keep it dust free.

Comment

I read that if your allergic to ragweed not to drink Camomile? I have bad allergies expecially to ragweed. Maybe It was another herb, but just a fair warning for anyone looking to try it.
                        Filed 10/20/08
                        Discharged 1/27/09

Comment

Passion flower

Mark,

I also have anxiety and I have to agree with the poster about the passion flower. Valerian Root is good for sleeping but (at least to me) Passion flower acts like xanax or clonopin.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark80 View Post
                            I read that if your allergic to ragweed not to drink Camomile? I have bad allergies expecially to ragweed. Maybe It was another herb, but just a fair warning for anyone looking to try it.

I have severe hayfever and it never bothered me, but always check it out before you take anything. You never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark80 View Post
                              I have suffered from Social Anxiety and General Anxiety all my life, and I have tried about 19 medications and seen countless doctors. Nothing much ever helped, the only thing that helped a touch was Clonzepam, and thats only because it sedated me.

Anyhow I gave up on doctors and medications about 2 years ago, however I am still suffering from crippling anxiety to this day which pretty much makes daily life miserable.

I have been thinking about trying out some natural remedies, and was wondering if anyone on here has ever had much luck? Valerian Root is what I am going to try first.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions!

We always have linden flower tea at home, and drink it regularly when we feel stressed. My Spanish grandmother swore that it was excellent for anxiety and she used to make it every night and give everyone a cup just before bedtime, even the children. It became a tradition, I suppose. It tastes great too, with or without honey. Below is a link that talks more about linden flower tea.

Hope this helps!
                              BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X