Rising Gas Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brokemommy
    We accidently drove off Tuesday night, and forgot to pay, I realized the next day. The used car had a license applied sticker so they didn't get our plates. Feels kinda good getting something for nothing never had that happen before. But don't want to make it a bad habit!
    It's theft. No matter how you choose to look at it.

In addition to taking money out of everyone's pocket by the station charging more to cover theft losses, you may be taking money out of another person's pocket as well. Some convenience stores and gas stations deduct drive-offs from their employee's paycheck.

I worked a self-service gas station in college. My employer had a $$ limit for drive-offs and then they started deducting the amounts from our paychecks. The company called it "Employee Loss" and they were CYA'd against doing anything illegal that way.

I wrote a check for $10 over at the grocery. When I grabbed the cart and started to leave, I thought the clerk hadn't give me my $10. She couldn't remember giving me my change as well. So she gave me $10. When I got home, I realized I had a $10 bill in one pocket and 2-$5 bills in the other pocket of my jeans. The clerk had given me my $10 cash back AND an extra $10 as well. Immediately, I called the grocery, told them what had happened. Who the cashier was. I knew the cashier by her first name only. Then I drove back to the store and gave them back the $10.

I don't wanna have to face my maker and explain why I didn't return that $10. I couldn't very well tell my children not to steal and then steal myself.

You should think about the fine example you set for your children with actions like that.
    Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
    Discharged - 12/2006
    Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
    Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Originally posted by SinkingFast
      It's theft. No matter how you choose to look at it.

In addition to taking money out of everyone's pocket by the station charging more to cover theft losses, you may be taking money out of another person's pocket as well. Some convenience stores and gas stations deduct drive-offs from their employee's paycheck.

I worked a self-service gas station in college. My employer had a $$ limit for drive-offs and then they started deducting the amounts from our paychecks. The company called it "Employee Loss" and they were CYA'd against doing anything illegal that way.

I wrote a check for $10 over at the grocery. When I grabbed the cart and started to leave, I thought the clerk hadn't give me my $10. She couldn't remember giving me my change as well. So she gave me $10. When I got home, I realized I had a $10 bill in one pocket and 2-$5 bills in the other pocket of my jeans. The clerk had given me my $10 cash back AND an extra $10 as well. Immediately, I called the grocery, told them what had happened. Who the cashier was. I knew the cashier by her first name only. Then I drove back to the store and gave them back the $10.

I don't wanna have to face my maker and explain why I didn't return that $10. I couldn't very well tell my children not to steal and then steal myself.

You should think about the fine example you set for your children with actions like that.
      It's a sad state of affairs when these cashiers can't do math in their head--I can't tell you how many times I've turned a mistake into a math lesson for one!

Ever notice what happens if you give them a $10 and they accidentally key $100 into the register and can't figure out how to make the change correctly. I had someone giving me $50 in change for an $8 purchase--she got a little lecture from me and I got a big thank you considering it would have come out of her paycheck. Some of these cashiers (not the majority, just a few bad eggs) really need to start using some common sense--this happens too frequently. Especially if you give some 4.01 for something that is 3.76--they're totally lost because you wanted a quarter in change.

**Steps off soap box***
      *** THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE--ONLY A LAWYER CAN PROVIDE THAT. ***

My posts represent hours of research on and off the web, these forums, my experience, and my opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymuse
        It's a sad state of affairs when these cashiers can't do math in their head--I can't tell you how many times I've turned a mistake into a math lesson for one!

Ever notice what happens if you give them a $10 and they accidentally key $100 into the register and can't figure out how to make the change correctly. I had someone giving me $50 in change for an $8 purchase--she got a little lecture from me and I got a big thank you considering it would have come out of her paycheck. Some of these cashiers (not the majority, just a few bad eggs) really need to start using some common sense--this happens too frequently. Especially if you give some 4.01 for something that is 3.76--they're totally lost because you wanted a quarter in change.

**Steps off soap box***
        I won't even step up there with you, Anon.

Some of these cashiers today just drive me crazy!
        Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
        Discharged - 12/2006
        Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
        Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

What's worse is when they cop an attitude if I say something to them!

I could easily get on a soap box, too!
          Filed: 2/24/2006
          341 mtg: 4/4/2006:angel:
          Discharged: 9/25/08!!!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Federal gov't has turned gas drive offs into felonies

Comment

Originally posted by YRUSODUMB
              Federal gov't has turned gas drive offs into felonies
              Does that make it anymore acceptable? Yet, it's no different than shoplifting and in Colorado you lose your drivers license.

My posts represent hours of research on and off the web, these forums, my experience, and my opinions.

Comment

Go back and pay, they will eventually get you for it and it won't be pretty.

In texas it's a felony to steal gas and or oil.

You need to get a reciept that you paid ,If and when you do.
                I would go to the police and show them that you paid.
                Explain that you finally realized the mistake and you made it right.

Pay first and answer questions later.
                The consequences are far greater than if you can pay now.
                Hope this helps.
                Roc247

Comment

Just paid $3.23 a gallon

That is the highest I have ever paid. It was very close to the coast.

Comment

the price of gas is definately rediculous nowadays! depending on where you go...you can find gas as cheap as $2.96 pg....but the prices seem to pretty much be lingering around $3.04 pg most places that i go.
                    The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

711 has new contract...

..on gas with themselves instead of Citgo...they were 2.94 this morning...That's still way hard on my budget...the man at Publix, once again, reprimended me for my .17 banana; he said he would never be able to retire at the rate of my daily banana spending...well...the other $2 and change has to go to the gas tank!
                      Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
                      Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

$3.29 here and Colorado gets most of our gas from Wyoming!

Comment

In Maryland, it is $3.05 a gallon. Last Thursday, I did get gas for $2.97 a gallon. I got so excited because it was under $3.00.
                          sigpicPersevere: "To continue a course of action, in spite of difficulty, opposition or discouragement."

Chapter 13: Discharged 03/15/2010. Closed 05/19/2010::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

$2.98 here in west tennessee.

Comment

I was glad for one thing, the E350 got a high of 16.1 mpg on Vacation. Found Cumberland TN prices the same as here.
                              "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

$2.98 here~ OKlahoma
                                We have a major expense for gasoline.....my husband works 60 miles daily 4 days a week...then every other weekend about 40 miles but stays so it's only a round trip weekend.....we told the attorney that we spend 600.+ a month on gas~ she had no problem believing us...but told us to keep receipts anyway~ I showed her the CC for gasoline...she raised her eyebrows and said~ ok.............. that's on a Honda del sol.....mind you~
                                LOL~ we may qualify for Chap 7 now that I think about just what the gasoline expense will be if it keeps goin' up~ eeewwwwww~

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X