Diet questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diet questions

Has anyone tried Medifast? I think it's also called take shape for life. If you have how was the food? Cost?

I've heard the adds for it on the radio. It sounds like a scam to me.

There is no substitute for burning more calories than you eat, in the long run. You have to exercise more and eat less.

I try to go vegan at least 4 days a week, and the rest of the week I try to go vegetarian.

I only eat meat if I go out to eat with friends, or if I go over to a family member's home for dinner, and even then I try to eat mostly vegetables and fruits.
    The world's simplest C & D Letter:
    "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
    Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

i think the best diet is to run your butt off LOL!!! i USE to run 6 miles a day. (no more since my knee surgery last year).

it's free, and you can do it when ever you can. but i wouldn't listen to me on diet talk as about 10 minutes ago my "new" size 10 pants arrived at the door since i have gained 27 pounds since i have stopped running!!! oh well, can't be a 6-8 forever and i heard it's better to be fatter as you get older anyway for "health" reasons LOL!
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
        and i heard it's better to be fatter as you get older anyway for "health" reasons LOL!
        WOW i heard that same thing...
        take care my friend!!!
        filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
        "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

Not sure about Medifast, Nutrisystem used to be ok. I will say, as I get ready to turn 50 this year, that I have tried pretty much everything under the sun, then gained it all back plus some. I finally peaked at 280 in December, diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure. So I started doing more research on the diabetic angle, have pretty much tried to go no carbs, higher protein with veggies, and I eeat to my blood glucose meter which lets me know what affect the food I put in my mouth are having on my glucose levels. Not surprisingly, oatmeal just blew me through the top, bread was the next worse thing, rice another. So now I try really hard to have a simple steak and salad, eggs for breakfast and geneally I will use a high protein bread with ham or turkey with a slice of cheese for lunch. I have dropped 20lbs in the last couple months, but more important my blood sugars have dropped considerably. I have always been heavy as has my whole family, so if I can get back to the 200lb range I would be really happy, but it is a pretty boring food life I have now. I just don't think about it much, just like smokling, which I gave up after 35 years of the bad habit, last year after we were discharged it was just another expense that was not a smart choice, so I gave it up. Hopefully the food issue will work out the same way.

Best wishes on this road of weight loss, use whatever works best for you.
          Hired Attorney 8/28/10 Filed Chapter 7 11/08/10 341 12/14/2010 Report of NO DISTRIBUTION 12/15/2010 Waiting for February 14 2011, date objections due.
          DISCHARGED and CLOSED 2/15/2011

Comment

I'm not sure whether blood sugar levels are his issue, or whether he is just trying to lose weight.

I don't have diabetes or any trouble with my blood sugar levels, but my sister does. What she has found to be very effective at lowering blood sugar levels is to stay away from anything "white"-- breads, pastas, rice, potatoes, anything starchy or sugary. Dark green vegetables seem to lower her sugar levels the best. For example, broccoli, brussels sprouts, kale, spinach, swiss chard, collards, etc., all lower her blood sugar levels. I think her body is trying to tell her something. Dark green is good for you.

Comment

Oops, never meant to imply that DYLAN150 had the same issues as I do, was just explaining what I was doing trying to lose weight and the reasons behind it. I never had problems with any of these issues either until last year, and I wholeheartedly agree the dark greens are the best and I use all of them in my vegetable/salad choices everyday, but what made me realize the real meaning in choice for me was watching my sugars after everything I ate for a month and seeing what was really happening to them with what I was putting in my mouth. And the worst offender so far, which totally shockled me, was the oatmeal. For me anything with carbs will just shoot me through the roof, especially if I eat it all by itself.

As noted before, best wishes with whatever you choose DYLAN150, as I know none of it is easy.
              Hired Attorney 8/28/10 Filed Chapter 7 11/08/10 341 12/14/2010 Report of NO DISTRIBUTION 12/15/2010 Waiting for February 14 2011, date objections due.
              DISCHARGED and CLOSED 2/15/2011

Comment

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post
                There is no substitute for burning more calories than you eat, in the long run. You have to exercise more and eat less.
                Yep yep yep! The other "myth" out there is that "fat makes you fat"; Nope - excess carbs converting to sugar is what makes you gain weight. While too much fat isnt good for your cholesterol and trigs - it does not necessarily make you fat - which is why millions of people lose weight doing Atkins.

With that being said - its best to avoid diet schemes like Nutrisystem, Medifast, slim fast, etc etc etc. Why? Because you're eating very little, not learning how to eat the right foods on your own, and the sodium levels are enough to choke a horse! If you're serious about losing, you must get the percentages right and use the glycemic index for foods. Never eat carbs without a protein and vice versa. GOOD CARBS (low glyc.) are the best for you, process the slowest and keep your blood sugar even. Your body needs carbs to function - so doing something like Atkins just sets you up for failure in the long run (and you get quite witchy LOL).

If you want to change your eating habits for life - then look at the Zone or Southbeach diets and do a mixture of the 2 for the first month until you get to the point where you recognize how to do it by yourself. They both allow good low glyc. carbs and you're eating every 2-3 hours (you wont be hungry most of the time, but you must still eat something) and LOTS of water. Good trick is to drink 8 oz. of water (w/or without lemon) 30 mins before any meal - it takes the brain 15 minutes to recognize you've eaten / drank something.

Good luck!

ETA: Oh - and if you still want to eat all the "gooey chocolately goodness of choc. cake and brownies" - then you can still have them. How? By subbing out the butter / oil with applesauce (non-sweetened) and using ground oatmeal in place of 1/2 the flour (get a coffee grinder and grind oatmeal in it, it comes out super fine); sugars can be subbed by using honey (natural) as well, or if you can tolerate it - you can use something like Stevia / Splenda to cook with. I'm from a natural perspective, so I dont use anything artificial (yes I still use real butter and sugar ).
                Last edited by Pandora; 05-04-2012, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Be CAREFUL all of you wondering about this and other 'quick diet' programs...

Be CAREFUL all of you wondering about this and other 'quick diet' programs...

We are home from BIL's place in Tennessee, because we got word that 'Hub's youngest daughter was in the hospital with kidney failure. She is 46 years old, and has always been careful about her health.

She has also been a very active advocate of natural 'herbal' cures, and other things from the Orient, including acupuncture, and the natural herbs that the acupuncturist provided. She had used same right before this attack...

We cut short our work in TN, and hurried home, thinking that one or the other of us would end up being kidney donors.

Thankfully, the daughter is improving and the doctors are happy that her kidney function is now up to 50%. It was near 10% a couple of days ago...

If she continues to improve, she may get to go home tomorrow or Monday...

To date, no one actually knows what caused this attack...

I just caution EVERYONE to be careful of what you pick up over the counter, or through the mail, when you are trying to self-diagnose, for health or diet.

Thanks!
                  "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Cat n 'Hub......my prayers are with Hubs daughter. hope she is ok and gets to go home on Mon.....
                    xxxxx xxxxx (thats ALL my fingers crossed).

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post

I just caution EVERYONE to be careful of what you pick up over the counter, or through the mail, when you are trying to self-diagnose, for health or diet.
                      And be especially certain of where any product is made/manufactured.

Taking anything made in China is potentially committing suicide
                      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Vitamins should come from your food-- fresh vegetables and fresh fruits. They are almost worthless when they come from vitamin pills, and as pointed out, they can even be harmful.

I like the water and lemon juice trick, as mentioned above, and another thing you can do is eat a fresh fruit about 30 minutes before your next meal to spoil your appetite. So, you end up eating less of the higher calorie food.

Comment

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post
                          and another thing you can do is eat a fresh fruit about 30 minutes before your next meal to spoil your appetite. So, you end up eating less of the higher calorie food.
                          wow GD...i do believe we were led astray by our parents when they told us not to eat anything before a meal as to not spoil our appetite. LOL
                          I guess i remember telling my kids that too. Live n learn.
                          We've come a long way baby!!

Comment

Good News!! DD was sent home today, and we will be seeing her tomorrow. We still do not know any details, but am sure we will learn more tomorrow.

Thanks Oregonpilot, and others, for your prayers!
                            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thank you my "Family". My daughter had many prayers for her. Remember prayers are ALWAYS answered. Yes, No, Wait.

She suddenly failed and was in relative good health. All the doctors still do not know what brought this on. However, a little story: Mrs. purchased a name brand cat food for our many felines. One young and in good health failed. Vet asked if we had anything like sweet anti freeze around since the cat had adrenal failure. The kidney will not recover from damage. We had to put him down as he was suffering.

This then was a start to many pets dying. Yes it was the guy in the factory in China who put plastic filler in cat and dog food. He is no more as he was tried and shot.

However, not a resolution to our fond pet. How many people eat this stuff too? Some of it smells dern good and many who are really down and out eat this stuff.

Thanks again for your concerns. 'Hub
                              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X