Home Insurance Co requiring new roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Insurance Co requiring new roof

Just got a letter from my home insurance company saying they recently reviewed my property. I have no idea when or to what extent. It said:
    "Your home's roof has moss, shows areas aged shingles...Please replace your roof.
    Siding has peeling paint. Please paint the siding.
    Front steps are damaged. Please repair the front steps."

Husband is disabled. I have no idea how to pay for a new roof. They are giving me a year to do the roof, but without credit I don't see how to pay for it. I don't know what they mean about siding. The paint is faded, but I don't see any peeling. I guess they want me to paint the whole house? The front steps are concrete and the corner of one is not perfect, was like that when we bought the house. My house was built in 1941 and is consistent with the neighborhood. I guess I don't really have a question here, just wondering if this happened to anyone else?

This letter was unexpected and is something brand new to have hanging over my head.
    BK7 Filed 7/10/12 • 341 8/15/12 • Discharged 10/17/12 • Closed 5/6/13 Thanks to everyone here!

When we first bought our house, we got a notice from the insurance company a month or two after escrow closed. There was a leaning fence and retaining wall between our and our neighbor's back yards and they said we had to fix it or they would cancel our coverage. We also had a loose railing on the front porch, but that was pretty easy to fix. Fortunately, my mother had just given me and my siblings large cash gifts for Christmas and my neighbor easily agreed to split the cost of building a new retaining wall and fence. I fear that they'll inspect again and decide that the old fence on the alley is a hazard. Fortunately, I still have a $10k CD from a later gift from my mom that was exempt in my BK that I can use if necessary. Once my Chap 13 is done in two years, I hope to start building a cash savings to handle the major home repairs that are beginning to be needed. I also have a 401k I can borrow against if absolutely necessary.

Besides the insurance company, we have to worry about the city. Our neighbors around the corner had to fix the sidewalk in front of their house because it had become uneven. The inspector was there because of a complaint about un-permitted construction a couple of houses down. So, he wrote citations for all violations he could find on the street. Good thing he didn't walk around the corner because we have uneven sidewalk too. The neighbor who got cited was one of several neighbors who complained about the construction. Makes me wonder if the inspectors would rather not have to respond to complaints, so they give citations to neighbors to discourage complaints.

Stray, I know our city and county has programs that assist homeowners with needed repairs with both grants and low interest loans even if you don't qualify for other credit. Have you looked into programs in your area? ETA: Maybe you can find help at one of the links at http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?...ip/homerepairs I can't qualify for any of these programs, but it sounds like you might.
    Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 04-20-2013, 12:51 PM.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

our daughter had a similar situation dealing with a "shared" driveway, a roof and an few other expensive items.

the insurance company gave her 3 years to get the work completed and she also kindly approach the neighbors in the back and still if they would pitch i with the shared driveway expense. they did. the insurance company was cooperative. extremely!
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

My insurance company gave me a year to replace a window and install hand rails off the sliding glass door. I guess they thought someone could jump to their death from a whole 2 feet off the ground.

In anycase, it was a "repair or lose house insurance", we repaird.

A very good friend of mine is in the insurance business (different state than I), however she said it is common pratice to look at the properties they insurace to be sure they are being kept in good repair. I guess it makes sense, from a business side for the insurance companies to do that.
        8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
        11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I guess I've just been lucky with my other houses and have never had a problem.

We've been here almost 7 yrs now, and the neighborhood has changed. The original owners of many of these old homes have moved on, so now there are younger first home owner, hipsters, from other less laid back states moving in. They don't know that before they got here, we chased away drug dealers and an illegal waste dump on our street, that we spay/neutered/adopted out 10 feral cats. I would love to tell the snooty guy across the street that before he bought his house it was a rental filled with people in the same color shirts. I get that these people judge us, whatever. I didn't expect the judgement from the insurance company that I give money to. Silly me. Yes, nomore, you're right, they have to do it, thanks.

Lady, we have a leaning fence too. We border an industrial zoned property and according to code they are required to have a cement wall between R1 and industrial. When we first moved in, the business owner came to our door to see if we wanted to chip in on a new wood fence. After some research I found that he was supposed to take care of it. Nothing further was said and now it is really to fall. I guess I have to deal with that now too. Was kind of hoping they would just do it. They have expensive equipment in their yard.

I checked the link and the qualifications of the no-interest loan and there must be equity in the house equal to the loan. If they go by the city's current market value, then it will work, but if they go by reality, then it won't. But I will apply and see. Thanks so much!

It's just such a bad time, trying to recover, still waiting for close of BK, no credit or savings, illness in the family. Ugh. Thanks everyone, for letting me know I'm not alone on this thing and offering advice.
          BK7 Filed 7/10/12 • 341 8/15/12 • Discharged 10/17/12 • Closed 5/6/13 Thanks to everyone here!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X