One Year to the Day After Discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Year to the Day After Discharge

Well, actually since I believe our discharge transpired on 02/04/2022, then it is one day past a year, but still nearly correct.
    The changes these twelve months have wrought are nearly mind boggling - new state, new rental rambler, new job, new CCs with pretty high limits (considering the very real fact the BK13 is still visible on our credit reports!) and enough financial cushion to feel almost secure -as long as no tragedy like a crippling injury occurs, that is.
    Zombie13 posted about what seems like an astounding tax refund amount earlier today; I had expected a potentially hefty tax bill because of the 401K default. Instead, the penalty only reduces our refund, not cancels it.
    We almost feel like millionaires right now within limits of course - yesterday, I was shopping at a nearby mall and happened to go into Nordstrom Rack where I rarely go and happily found three better brands exercise bra tops for a total of $40+ (with tax). That is quite reasonable nowadays, but especially here where everything costs more, particularly restaurant food. We have learned to be more selective about the kind of food we are willing to pay more for, since coupons and discounts are few and far between here.
    I still instinctively look for sale and clearance bins and still don't feel comfortable paying full price for anything that usually gets marked down, like clothing, personal goods, and the like.
    My favorite grocery store, the Bargain Outlet Grocery offers some great gourmet and regular pantry/ frozen items at hard to beat prices anywhere. (I even found some name brand hoodies and long workout tops for only $8 each there last week!)
    I doubt anybody would categorize our one-year mark as typical of BK13 "survivors or dischargees", but hopefully our lightning-fast financial recovery will inspire others stuck in the rotten rut of bankruptcy to look ahead, hope, and most importantly, to plan for a better future!
    Last edited by Barbisi; 02-05-2023, 06:36 PM.

What a difference a year makes! I am glad everything has been so great even with the little ups and downs.

And it's funny how quick that year went past and how LONG the first year in BK was!
    I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Carmella, how right you - this year has raced by at an Olympic pace with stress levels to match. However, that first year was an inferno of snail steps that seemed endless and oh so excruciatingly slow.
      We may not like everything Washington has thrown and will continue to throw at us, but the days of Artic lows followed by a Mile High heat wave are behind us.

Comment

TYPO UPDATE : How right you are. (Just caught it too late to correct in the original.)

Comment

Carmella you are so right! yeah Barbisi and I are dealing with this rot-spawn Covid brain fog. suuuucks but we are coming out of it. I shall refrain from saying what I *really* think; <filter malfunction.... red alert... >
          Yeah bra tops; $13 apiece is pretty good, especially around here.
          Hard to believe, one year has already passed since our discharge but then again, we have been so busy we haven't had much time to reflect.
          So glad it is over with.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X