top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Window Etching $299, Extended Warranty $1240, GAP Insurance $204.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window Etching $299, Extended Warranty $1240, GAP Insurance $204.....

What else have "lie-nance managers" at used auto dealers tried to slip into your contract? I was surprised because this dealer was very reputable and also rated A plus by their local BBB. What other common tactics does one need to be aware of when auto shopping?
    File Date Feb 1, 2010
    341 Mar 8, 2010
    Discharged and closed May 10, 2010
    Being very careful and wise with fresh start!......Living happily ever after since!

After you bargain the price for your new or used vehicle comes the part where the dealership makes the money - the add on's. Just learn to say no as those items are really not needed and are just added into your financing of the vehicle costing you more and putting more in their pockets. Extended warranties, paint sealant, seat protection, etc., etc., add-on's are hugely profitable to the dealershp.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

its all worthless garbage. Say NO and check your contract very carefully BEFORE YOU SIGN as they are known to slip them in on the sly...
      Stopped paying c. cards February 2009
      Retained attorney 11/5/09 - $100k in C.Card debt - $120000 per year income - Filed Feb 2010 - 341 Apr 2010 - No Asset Case/Report of No Dist Apr 2010 - Discharged June 2010
      Case went without a hitch!
      I HELD MY HEAD HIGH IN THAT COURTROOM AND NOW I AM MOVING ON!

Comment

Watch out for extended warranties, auto vin etching, overpriced GAP insurance (you can almost always get GAP coverage from your auto insurance company for much less money), lojacks, waxing and water proofing and other car "treatments".

The only item worth even considering is GAP insurance (if your trade in is not worth much and you are not putting much money down). If you are considering GAP insurance, you should check to see if you can get it with your auto insurer first, since it will be much less expensive.
        You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

I purchased a car through the factory. I ordered just what I wanted and got the price I liked. I had to sign the paperwork at a dealer I chose. I chose one who was close, did not sell me the car and was only a courtesy delivery. Once I signed the paper, I saw a pre-printed 95 dollar "clerical paperwork" charge. I was pizzed. In that we drove a long way to pick up the car, and that the guy said the office was closed, he could do nothing, I almost walked out. But I just thought, well, for a hundred bucks, I've gotten screwed I won't use them for service, and I told that jerk so. I should have told them to send the car down the road and I'll purchase next door. If and when, I shall do that. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I went on-line to find a Ford car back in 2006. We get X-Plan pricing at work, so we pay just a little more than Ford employees. We also get ALL incentives and offers and don't need to haggle on price. So I found the exact car I was looking for at two places. The first place just totally outright LIED to me -- on price -- and even when I brought it to the General Manager's attention, he did absolutely nothing even though the salesman stood there and didn't defend that he lied to me.

Then I went to the next place. I had both FMC (Ford) and a Blank Check from Capitol One. Since I found the car on-line, the Ford system TOLD me the exact price (X-Plan), the incentives, and the actual image of the "sticker" price. When I got there and was in the middle of the transaction, the salesman pulls out a separate sheet of paper with "Window Tint $299", "Sport Race-Stripe $199", and "Nitrogen Forever $99" (and there was VIN already etched but I don't remember the price). Yes, the car ALREADY had these things done to it at that Ford dealership. I saw that sheet and said "I am absolutely NOT paying for that stuff and it's not on the sticker and not on the website!" After talking to the GM, I didn't pay for ANY of it, got my X-Plan pricing and the current incentives (cash back and low percentage).

Don't let them full you. Know your stuff before you walk in! Oh, and he asked when I was coming back in to pick it up -- since they wanted to detail the car. I told him that HE was DELIVERING it to ME today! (At 6PM, the actual salesman drove it to my house and his wife picked him up there. )

P.S. Nitrogen Forever is cool!
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
              I went on-line to find a Ford car back in 2006. We get X-Plan pricing at work, so we pay just a little more than Ford employees. We also get ALL incentives and offers and don't need to haggle on price. So I found the exact car I was looking for at two places. The first place just totally outright LIED to me -- on price -- and even when I brought it to the General Manager's attention, he did absolutely nothing even though the salesman stood there and didn't defend that he lied to me.

Then I went to the next place. I had both FMC (Ford) and a Blank Check from Capitol One. Since I found the car on-line, the Ford system TOLD me the exact price (X-Plan), the incentives, and the actual image of the "sticker" price. When I got there and was in the middle of the transaction, the salesman pulls out a separate sheet of paper with "Window Tint $299", "Sport Race-Stripe $199", and "Nitrogen Forever $99" (and there was VIN already etched but I don't remember the price). Yes, the car ALREADY had these things done to it at that Ford dealership. I saw that sheet and said "I am absolutely NOT paying for that stuff and it's not on the sticker and not on the website!" After talking to the GM, I didn't pay for ANY of it, got my X-Plan pricing and the current incentives (cash back and low percentage).

Don't let them full you. Know your stuff before you walk in! Oh, and he asked when I was coming back in to pick it up -- since they wanted to detail the car. I told him that HE was DELIVERING it to ME today! (At 6PM, the actual salesman drove it to my house and his wife picked him up there. )

P.S. Nitrogen Forever is cool!
              What is Nitrogen Forever? I am curious and googled it after reading your post, but all the articles were too much car talk for me, and I glazed over. Can I have the "Nitrogen forever for dummies" version Justbroke?

Comment

When shopping for auto loans, it is very important to indulge in comparison shopping for loan rates, terms and the fine print.
                [active advertising link removed by moderator. Against forum rules.]

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                  What is Nitrogen Forever?
                  I'm allowed to get Nitrogen refills at the dealership, forever. Nitrogen "allegedly" gets slightly better gas mileage by maintaining tire pressure longer than "normal" air. Mixed opinions on it, but I like that I like saying "Nitrogen FOREVER".
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                    I'm allowed to get Nitrogen refills at the dealership, forever. Nitrogen "allegedly" gets slightly better gas mileage by maintaining tire pressure longer than "normal" air. Mixed opinions on it, but I like that I like saying "Nitrogen FOREVER".
                    Thanks for the explanation justbroke. I hope you are doing some cool hand gesture when you are saying "Nitrogen FOREVER". (similar to one you might use at a rock concert or a football game. )

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                      I hope you are doing some cool hand gesture when you are saying "Nitrogen FOREVER".
                      Thing is, I didn't read the fine prints and I'm sure "forever" is defined as "as long as these original tires are still on the car".

Or something else similar! It's like when I challenged Vonage on their "Unlimited" long distance. It's NOT unlimited. It's actually limited to about 5,500 minutes a month. They still couldn't point to that in any of the contract, except some words about acceptable use and then claiming that I must have a business since I use so many minutes. No, it was the teenage stepson talking to girls on the phone for up to 6 hours at a time! Yes, a boy on the phone for 6-10 hours a day!

Words to watch out for in advertising...

unlimited
                      FREE
                      Forever
                      Guaranteed or your Money Back
                      Lifetime Guarantee
                      Forever Guarantee
                      Made with REAL Chicken
                      Contains REAL Fruit Juice
                      Contents May Settle During Shipment
                      Act Now!
                      First 100 Callers Only!
                      Only ONE Previous Owner
                      Previous Owner was little old ___ who only ____
                      That's the final price, out the door!
                      I'm losing money on this deal... that's how good it is.

and Justbroke's #1 words not to trust coming from a salesman...

TRUST ME

Comment

I would also like to throw in: "You won't feel a thing!!" to the list and "It will only burn for a minute".
                        BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                        Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

Like Justbroke - we also did the X-Plan as well with Ford (Friends and Family) - we actually had no issues when we did it - the price was the price, no haggling at all (which was a godsend). One thing I didn't know was that when doing the X-Plan, you also get the extended warranty at cost so for the top of the line warranty for the full 5 years - it only cost us $600 vs. nearly $3K that they'd regularly charge.

Back in '07 when we were looking at 4X4 (towing pkg) 4 door F250's, we found one out of state (as there were none locally except for diesel which we didnt want) and did our entire truck purchase over the phone and internet basically. It didnt have limo tinted windows, spray in bed liner (rhino lining), or the tires that we wanted, but it had everything else and we already had financing so that wasnt an issue. The dealer, knowing we didnt need financing - threw in the tint (at a place of our choosing), lining, and changed the tires to what we wanted - all for free. I think in the end we saved about $12K using the Friends and Family X-plan and having the "freebies" thrown in.

If you're looking at a Ford and know anyone that works for them - they usually get 7 Friends and Family discounts a year, every year. It's well worth it - and we didnt get taken with any "extra's", which is rare as the processing fee of $295 was removed as well.

Maybe it just depends on where you go - but this was the only time we've never been billed for "extra's" as every other car we've purchased had that stupid "processing fee".

What the heck is "window etching" ??

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                            What the heck is "window etching" ??
                            I'm pretty sure that's when they etch the vehicle's VIN # to the the window in case of theft or whatever... 100% unnecessary.

Years ago, I remember doing the "game" with the car salesman. In the end, we finalized on the "out the door" price. When I got to finance, I looked at it closely. They had tagged back on $100 that I got them to come down lower on. Sneaky bastids. I got them to remove it again.

If anything fits the "stereotype", #1 spot would be the car salesman.
                            Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

Originally posted by CCsAreEvil View Post
                              I'm pretty sure that's when they etch the vehicle's VIN # to the the window in case of theft or whatever... 100% unnecessary.
                              They actually put it on your window? That makes no sense to me at all - windows break so the reasoning would be...??? Why on earth would they do that when the VIN is already in several places (door, engine, little metal plaque on the dashboard)? I know all 3 of my vehicles have it located in 3 separate locations already.

Very odd - guess anything to make a buck!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X