Chapter 7 discharged 1 year ago- trying to find loan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 7 discharged 1 year ago- trying to find loan

I'm trying to find financing for weight loss surgery. I eat a healthy diet and exercise- but, I can't keep the weight off. I have a couple metabolic issues which are causing my obesity but are also worsened by my obesity. I've meticulously followed a dieticians orders for the better part of a year for a whopping 10 lb weight loss. Basically- I need to lose weight to fix my metabolic issue to lose weight.. lol

This is hurting my earnings- I went back to school since bankruptcy and finished a degree in accounting. I'm now getting paid $13 an hour as an accountant. I'm the only part time accountant where I work and am paid the least by a landslide. I know a big part of it is that I don't have 'a professional appearance'. I feel like I could make back the $10,000 I need for weight loss surgery in a couple years- just because of the increase in earnings from actually having 'a professional appearance.' I'll have my masters completed in another 6 months or so. In other words- my earning potential is definitely there.

We own our home, we have a home mortgage through Chase and owe $72k on a home currently valued at $240k on Zillow. (We bought during the crash and did some repairs. We had a cash offer to purchase our home 'sight unseen' for $140k. So, we do have significant equity. Definitely enough to cover $10k. )

I would like to take advantage of this time where I'm stuck in a part time job and working on my graduate and knock out weight loss surgery at the same time so that I'm recovered in time to do a 'real' job.

My husband makes $50k, I'll earn about $12k this year. I have student loans of $6k. We have combined car loans of $700 a month- but we're not particularly upside down on either one. Our mortgage including tax and insurance is $600 per month. Both car loans are in my name- mortgage is in spouse's name.

Any ideas? Spouse has no credit card debt- I owe about a grand after I pay stuff off with my tax return. Unfortunately, I AM currently running a deficit every month. I went from a fulltime job making $13 an hour to a part time job making $13 an hour but with a further commute. But, I was desperate to get accounting experience- so took the job anyways just to break into the field.

You could likely get an FHA Streamline Refinance since you have a ton of equity. Be careful with credit cards such as Care Credit which specializes in medical financing. The interest rate is usually 24-29% for those cards and they will seem to pay forever.

Since you are running a deficit monthly, you should likely not take on new debt until your income stabilizes. I am just speaking from experience and having reached my discharge. I'm actually trying to minimize my housing expenses and have downsized in an effort to save a lot more than I currently save.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I’m with Justbroke on this one. Your running on a deficit, that is not the time to acquire new debt. That is the combination that gets us to a BK . You should be looking at your budget to cut expenses right now. I understand and am sensitive to what your saying about work and feeling good about yourself . Get a new hair cut and color , buy a few nice outfits, go have your makeup done , buy one sharp handbag with shoes . You can look beautiful no matter ones size and that’s a fact! Please don’t touch your home equity, that won’t come back.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X