Post-Discharge; how soon to apply for Credit Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post-Discharge; how soon to apply for Credit Cards

Hello folks, I made my 61st payment (the one extra was to pay the Trustee most of a large tax refund) into my Chapter 13 earlier this month, and this week I received a letter from the Trustee to my lawyer, with me on copy, which said, "As you may know, your above-named client has completed his payment obligations under the Plan, and will be entitled to receive a discharge." Long story short, my bankruptcy journey is almost over and the journey to rebuild my credit is about to begin.

I have read guidance on some Chapter 13 related sites which recommend waiting 90 days after the discharge, run a credit report, check for any errors, and then apply for a credit card; other sites recommend applying right after the discharge. I'm thinking the collective here may well be more authoritative than some of the sites I've visited, so I would love to hear experiences of those who've gotten their first credit card after so many years of not having one.

All replies and comments will be appreciated.
    Latent car nut.

Hi shipo and congratulations for getting to the end of your plan. In my case, I completed a 13 and waited for the case to be totally closed and then applied for a credit card 90 days after. Capital One is very bk friendly (after the discharge and closing). Good luck going forward and enjoy your new freedom.
    Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
    Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Originally posted by sophieanne View Post
      Hi shipo and congratulations for getting to the end of your plan. In my case, I completed a 13 and waited for the case to be totally closed and then applied for a credit card 90 days after. Capital One is very bk friendly (after the discharge and closing). Good luck going forward and enjoy your new freedom.
      Thanks sophieanne, I'll keep y'all posted on any developments.
      Latent car nut.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X