Getting a card that you burned in BK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a card that you burned in BK?

Specifically, CareCredit (which was under Synchrony Bank at the time I filed). I had a 10K limit and close to zero balance when I filed - is there any chance of getting this card again? If so, what FICO should I have before applying?

I have since acquired a few credit cards, but with very small credit lines.

I am in no hurry to run up CC's, but I did take comfort in having it for veterinary emergencies. My pets are my world.

I can't say for sure, but that card is issued by Synchrony. Synchrony doesn't seem to have a blacklist and continues to issue cards to those that burned them in a bankruptcy. From what I understand, Synchrony "store" cards are issued with FICO scores even as low as 600 (and in some cases, lower but with toy credit limits).

Not that you asked, but the problem with these Synchrony issued Care Credit cards, is the interest rate. It is a horrible interest rate. I know that they have zero-interest promotional periods for certain charges, but if you don't pay in full, the interest comes back with a vengeance on the day that the promotional period ends.

From what I have seen with this card, from my ex-spouse, you can get $10K credit limits if you have a credit score above 720. Don't quote me, but she was able to get her requested $20K limit on her card with a 740+ score (and my income). (She only spent $2,000 and paid it off during the promotional period.) We also had a joint card which had a limit of $11K.

I didn't burn them as my balance was $0 when I filed. I used the prequalify tool and was prequalified, but my scores are all over 740. If I were to use this card again, I used it for the 6-24 month interest free period and then, hopefully, either pay it off or move it with a balance transfer card with a low APR. I have a VISA credit card from my bank that has an APR below 10%. I'd likely move the remaining balance to that.

(Edited to add... that Synchrony is notorious for decreasing credit lines -- known as a CLD -- or flat out closing an account. They are shy when there is a lot of unused credit available across all Synchrony Bank products which a customer may possess. If you want to use in case of emergencies, please keep that in mind.)
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I definitely burned CareCredit and Synchrony big time. I also had CarCredit and then some store cards.

It will be interesting if I ever reapply because it would be nice to be able to use it towards my advantage for pets or for dental work which I will continue to need for a few years. But if I got it I would stick to paying it off for sure--not going down the wrong path again.

My daughter has a CareCredit card, they wanted to upgrade it to a Mastercard and then you can use it for ANYTHING. It was an option so she stuck with CareCredit. She has one credit card and wants to stay away from having more temptation.
      I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

CareCredit (Synchrony) was good to me in all the years I had it. I hated to even include it in BK, but I know it would have been closed, anyways.

Most vets accept it, and they gave me the most generous credit line of any credit card I ever had.

Carmelia, I agree - I am not seeking to go down the wrong path again. It would be for emergency vet use only. I am a long way from a 720 FICO, though. So it may be awhile.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X