Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the joys of post bk: replacing broken down stuff

There, I said it.
    We are enjoying our post bk freedom, but also are reminded of the fact we kept stuff going with bubble gum and duct tape.
    So now we have to replace stuff. Yesterday @Barbisis's desktop (formerly mine, of which the copmonents I hand picked and assembled in 2010) finally just drove her over the edge - nothing like a spinning hard drive, 100% usage in Task Manager, to push one over the cliff. It was a fairly high performance machine for 2010; nowadays an Apple Watch offers more TFLOPs than the desktop. But we have a habit of hanging on to what works - just let it go man... just let it go.... So, @Barbisis is now using my former laptop for daily computer tasking, and I have ordered a reasonably priced, suitable replacement laptop.
    Last edited by Zombie13; 09-29-2023, 08:43 PM.

LOL, I'm writing this on my 2013 laptop; at the time I deliberately over-spent on the machine by opting for the fastest processor then available, and now, ten and a half years later, all I've needed to do to keep it up to a more than adequate level of performance was to upgrade the memory to 16GB, upgrade the spinning hard drive with a 1TB SSD, and then upgrade the operating system to Windows 10 Pro.

Yeah, this machine is only about half the speed of my work laptop, but it is still speedy enough for some pretty heavy database work and of course web browsing. I figure I'll keep it until I need to upgrade to Windows 11 in a year or three.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X