top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Sears take you back if they were inc'l in BK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Sears take you back if they were inc'l in BK?

We had roughly a $3400 balance with Sears that was included in the Ch7 BK. In the future if we want to get our new (est) $500 tv (I promise to not get the plasma tv!) do you think they'll want to offer us a card? Or is that ridiculous as they will offer to about anyone? Years ago we qualified for the Sears platinum card with I think around 9.9% interest. Heck, maybe we'll build back up to that! ha!

Also, I had heard due to Sears getting into legal trouble with showing up to the ch7 proceedings and offering to make deals, that they were no longer allowed to show up anymore. (is this true?) I am embarrassed to say some old geezer in a suit from Sears showed up to my June 2000 ch7 bk proceeding. We shoo'd him away.

But Sears did not show up (nor anyone) at my husbands ch7 back in Dec. Go figure. What I was told must be true!

I believe Sears finance is done by Citicorp. I dont think they are one of the friendly post bk creditors.

Comment

I've tried to apply for a cc with one of my wayyy old debts and they decline me for the simple fact they know I filed BK with them (even 12 years ago!).

Ahhh well, don't need any more credit than what I have. I don't ever want to owe anyone money again!

Best of Luck, CMIYC
      July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
      Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
      Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
      Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

"(I promise to not get the plasma tv!)"
        Just got a 42" plasma from sears for 849! Hubby got approved for 5200 at 18 mo no interest. Turned down online, but aprroved in the store the same day!......but he did not have sears in BK..
        Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Sears is not Bk friendly

Five years prior to filing chapter 7 I opened a Sears Charge with an initial limit of $1500.00, my scores were low back then. Since then Sears credit was absorbed by Citibank.

And Citibank is not forgiving. I've tried for other cards through Citi and they have turned me down quicker than a pancake on a hot skillet.

Maybe one day try again. It depends on who's approving the credit applications or is they are relaxing the credit restrictions at that point and time.

Comment

We have some friends who filed BK way back in the early days of their marriage. The guy got out of the military and their adjustment to civilian life was not what they had hoped. All of their debts then were CC's.

As time went on, many years later, they were able to get LOC's with companies they previously BK'd against. They also got LOC's with CC's which are notoriously BK unfriendly. AMEX and Discover.

So maybe, after the BK drops off your credit report, there might be hope. But near term, I wouldn't count on it.
            Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
            Discharged - 12/2006
            Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
            Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Dont want to or mean to sound judgemental since i dont know your situation, but isn't buying something on credit the reason you got into trouble originally? Why would you want to possibly resort yourself through all that again? If you can't pay for it in cash why are you buying it? I believe televisions are still considered luxury items
              Filed Ch 7 9/28/09
              341 Meeting 10/22/09 (Went well)
              Discharged 12/22/2009!

Comment

Originally posted by moneytree View Post
                We had roughly a $3400 balance with Sears that was included in the Ch7 BK. In the future if we want to get our new (est) $500 tv (I promise to not get the plasma tv!) do you think they'll want to offer us a card? Or is that ridiculous as they will offer to about anyone? Years ago we qualified for the Sears platinum card with I think around 9.9% interest. Heck, maybe we'll build back up to that! ha!

Also, I had heard due to Sears getting into legal trouble with showing up to the ch7 proceedings and offering to make deals, that they were no longer allowed to show up anymore. (is this true?) I am embarrassed to say some old geezer in a suit from Sears showed up to my June 2000 ch7 bk proceeding. We shoo'd him away.

But Sears did not show up (nor anyone) at my husbands ch7 back in Dec. Go figure. What I was told must be true!
                If you included Sears in your filing, they are not the most BK friendly place around and more than likely you will be blacklisted by them beyond the 10 year time period your Chapter 7 will be listed on your credit reports. Creditors that you include in a BK filing have you on their records permanently; it does not drop off after 10 years as on your credit reports. So if you reapply to them, your chances of getting approved are pretty low. Since you want to obtain this TV "in the future," I would suggest saving money for it and pay cash for it before charging it. It appears you both have Chapter 7's on your records; one 8 years ago and one recent. That right there is an indicator something is wrong and since I know and understand the credit trap, you both could have yourself in a cycle of filing if you don't figure out what you are both doing wrong. I am not stating this to be smart, just to be factual about your situation.

To give you other information, Target appears to be BK friendly along with Walmart. Your husband may want to try for a card there since Sears probably will not approve him.

Best of luck to you both...

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X