10 years and its off. Now what ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 years and its off. Now what ?

Filed my own 10 years ago and have relied on my wifes credit since. Her fico is over 780 and my 3 reports have two old mortgages and nothing else. No negs at all. Dont know my fico.

We have a car lease to renew in Nov. but till then what direction should I take ? I plan on doing a joint appl. with my wife for the car but am wondering who might take me on a cc app. till then. All help greatly appreciated.

Equifax - no score
    TU - 669
    Experian - 744
    Last edited by idainc; 07-12-2007, 03:05 PM.

Congratulations on making to year 10 and your bankruptcy coming off your credit reports! Woo hoo!!

First thing you need to do is pull your one annual free credit report. You can find out how to do that here - http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...eereports.shtm

When you get the reports, go over them line by line and get any inaccuracies corrected by the appropriate credit bureaus. Be certain that your bankruptcy is completely erased off your reports by all your creditors. This can take several months, so be patient.

If you don't have a credit card of your own to use to rebuild your credit, with the bankruptcy off your credit records, you should be able to qualify for decent rates from a decent credit card company. Do you get mailers from the companies in your mail? Keep the ones you get and cross-compare the APRs and if there are fees. Pick the best one, go online, and apply. Typically you'll find out whether you've been approved pretty quickly. Then it's important to charge but pay off the full amount each month, especially if credit cards were a problem for you when you filed.

Members - anyone have suggestions about which credit cards are most debtor-friendly when there's no bankruptcy involved?
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

that is the website to use to get your first one free

congratulations !

btw: I had filed 12 years ago, as I was rebuilding my credit I was able to get unsecured credit cards and my own car between than and now. I had $10,000 limit lines of credit (on several credit cards over time), and eventually my first bankruptcy dropped off my reports in 7 years - but that was than this is now. I ended up in Bk again, cuz I'm a dummy. But its over, AGAIN. So really wish you the best of luck!

catchmeifyoucan
      Last edited by CATCHMEIFYOUCAN; 07-18-2007, 07:39 PM.
      July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
      Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
      Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
      Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Thank you both so much. Its been a long haul and am glad its over now. Adding to it all was starting a new business and putting our son through college and law school.

I got all three reports @ 9 years and 11 months and the BK was already off. Also went to each provider and got my scores:

Equifax - no score
        TU - 669
        Experian - 744

There is nothing neg. on any of them but then again there is very little also. I applied for a Citibank small business card with me as guarantor but realized they access Equifax ( no score ) with no score gave me a scare. Havent heard from them yet ( no online approval ). I am hoping they access the other two as those scores arent terrible.

I may have to go joint with my wife on the car and a card to get something on my reports. Her scores are around 780.

Update - declined for Citi small business account due to too few trade lines. And no recent personal lines / history.

I have an AMEX corporate card ( our family business ) with my wife as the applicant. They wouldnt accept me as an authorized user on a personal card of hers.
        Last edited by idainc; 07-20-2007, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Just an update - applied for and was approved on a joint car loan app. from Chase. Lease buyout hat was in my wifes name alone. Felt good actually. Real good.

Any thoughts about what's next ?

Comment

You really need to get a few credit cards in your name only. Check out Capital One, check out your bank, check with Chase. Use them wisely and pay off your balance each month. This will help you reestablish a positive credit history since you really don't have one now.

Comment

Congratulations!!!!!!! This is very exciting.
              BUSY running my own credit repair services! Sorry I don't stop in so often any more!

Comment

Happy to report I was just approved for a B of A Visa @ $4,000.

Comment

I would try Juniper...they use transunion.
                  Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X