Transunion wants discharge papers & list of creditors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transunion wants discharge papers & list of creditors

I disputed a couple things on my Transunion credit report through the mail and they sent a letter asking me to send a copy of my list of creditors and my discharge papers in order to update my accounts.

I had heard previously that I shouldn't do this because if they get a hold of that information everything on my report will stick like glue. Should I send this or not? Any suggestions?

Oops, I think I posted this in wrong forum, if a mod reads please move it to the credit rebuilding forum Thanks and sorry!
    Last edited by helphelp; 04-18-2008, 08:25 AM. Reason: to notate that I posted in wrong forum.
    12/06/2008
    341 Meeting 01/14/2008
    Objections Due 03/14/2008
    Discharged and CLOSED 04/01/2008

I'm surprised they DON'T have that information! I would just send them the letter of discharge - and go from there. The filing of the BK will stick like glue for at least 10 years anyways and should only be applied to the creditors you filed on. When I pull up my credit report its like 20 good accounts and 20 (accounts dischaged in BK).

Good Luck, Catchmeifyoucan
    July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
    Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
    Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
    Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by helphelp View Post
      I disputed a couple things on my Transunion credit report through the mail and they sent a letter asking me to send a copy of my list of creditors and my discharge papers in order to update my accounts. I had heard previously that I shouldn't do this because if they get a hold of that information everything on my report will stick like glue. Should I send this or not? Any suggestions?
      What some have done is send a copy of the discharge papers plus the one sheet with the specific creditor listed with all the other creditors blacked out with permanent marker. That way the credit agency can verify the one debt in question was included but you aren't giving them any ammunition about any other creditors.

Oops, I think I posted this in wrong forum, if a mod reads please move it to the credit rebuilding forum Thanks and sorry!
      You're moved!
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

They did the same thing to me. I disputed an account as not being charged off before bk and they sent me a letter asking for my discharge papers and creditor matrix, which my paperwork would not show if it was in CO status or not. For now I am not sending them the paperwork and am going to dispute it with the OC.

Just know if you send in your paperwork with all the accounts blacked out except the ones in question, you will probably never be able to get those accounts deleted because you verified the info for them. You'll have to wait for them to fall off.
        chap 7 discharge 06/07

Comment

I did send in all my stuff to transunion and blacked out the stuff they didn't need to see. End result, updated credit report and many accounts deleted. It is up to you. I filed BK so wasn't planning to say I didn't. In the end for me, TU score went up and now my TU has no issues. Can't say the same for Experian and Equifax.

Comment

Good luck, disputing with the OC is usually a pointless endeavor.

If your goal is to clean up your credit report and insure that all accounts are reported "properly", there is no harm in sending in the discharge paperwork and creditor matrix.

However, if your goal is to "game" the system and try to get accounts removed by sending numerous, multiple disputes in the hopes one of the disputes will come back unverified, then you should NOT send in the paperwork. Realize, that this course of action yields uneven results and will actually take you longer to clean up your report.
            Last edited by HHM; 04-19-2008, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Been through it....take your BK information and make a copy of it. Take white correction tape and cover information that does not apply to them or informatoin you do not want them to see. Make a copy of that paper - do not send in the one with the white correctioni tape on it. Blacking out with Black Marker is also good but you can still see informatoin on there unless you go through the paper with the marker (can view information from the back of the paper). Or you can black it out and copy it and send the copy. Never send the original blacked out copy or copy with white correction tape.

It is horrible cleaning up your credit reports after discharge. We've been working on ours almost two years and find sometime the information reverts back after several months or strange, new information pops up. This time next year our BK information will start coming off. I am hoping that eliminates all of the other problems cause we have gone back and forth between creditors and CRA's for a long time.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Foolish me? I sent it to them when they asked for it. They have not done anything out of the ordinary with it. All 7 of my accounts that I disputed together on one letter have now been fixed and I've had no other issues. I didnt see the harm in sending it to them. All my creditors show on my report anyway.

I believe they are asking this because they need to see what creditors were included in your BK. The discharge alone does not show them who you filed BK on. The creditor matrix allows them to see who you BK'd on, and the discharge backs up your claim that the info the creditor is reporting is wrong.

Like I said, I had 7 accounts that were listing as charged off or delinquent with balances. All of them were fixed after I sent in the matrix and discharge.

Comment

Originally posted by bkdone View Post
                  Foolish me? I sent it to them when they asked for it. They have not done anything out of the ordinary with it. All 7 of my accounts that I disputed together on one letter have now been fixed and I've had no other issues. I didnt see the harm in sending it to them. All my creditors show on my report anyway.

I believe they are asking this because they need to see what creditors were included in your BK. The discharge alone does not show them who you filed BK on. The creditor matrix allows them to see who you BK'd on, and the discharge backs up your claim that the info the creditor is reporting is wrong.

Like I said, I had 7 accounts that were listing as charged off or delinquent with balances. All of them were fixed after I sent in the matrix and discharge.
                  Exactly, that is how it is supposed to work.

Comment

My take on it is that the reporting agencies know the scams.
                    Sending them the info with certain things blacked out will probably just get you a reputation as a scammer, they will make note of it somehow on your account and make things as difficulat as they can for you. (not sure of this, it's just my guess.)

I think my approach will be to admit I filed bankruptcy and work on rebuilding my credit by having an account or two and paying them off in the most efficient way to increase my credit score (i.e.; carry a balance of 1/3 my credit limit; pay more than the minimum each month, and never be late on a payment).

I think that in this manner and by erasing any truly illegitimate negatives on my credit report, my score will increase pretty well within a year or two. No?
                    <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
                    FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

Comment

I got a letter from them asking for the same thing because I disputed a collection account from the local electric provider that was included in the discharge, but all 3 reports show it still with a balance and reporting as a collection/bad debt/placed for skip, etc. Funny thing is I thought I'd sent a copy of my matrix to all 3 when I mailed all my disputes out 2 weeks ago. I guess I'll call them and ask if they have that info, if not I'll send it in. I just want everything to report correctly. I have probably 20+ accounts that are closed but were and are in good standing and then the 12 or so that were included in the BK, a couple of baddies that will fall off this year, and then the new accounts I've opened to start rebuilding.
                      Filed 12/20/07 [X] 341 meeting 1/15/08 [X] Trustee Declines to Dismiss 2/25/08 [X] DISCHARGED AND CLOSED 03/19/08 [ X ]

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X