Capital One is forgiving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital One is forgiving?

I included capital one on my BK. I just got an offer for them for a credit card. QUESTION! If I were to get this card and be approved would that mean that they can make me responsible for the old bill that was included in my bk? I don't think they can but I know how companies have "tricks" up their sleeves. Thanks guys
    Filed 01/31/08
    341 03/10/08:
    Last day for Objections 05/09/2008
    DISCHARGED AND CLOSED 05/12/2008

My question is - are these offers for real? Or are they just junk mail that everyone including my dog would be pre-approved.
    Filed: 01/23/08
    341 Meeting: 02/29/08
    Discharged: 04/30/08
    Closed: 05/12/08

Comment

The offer may be legit, however they are usually based on a "soft pull" of your credit. The lender may not know much about your credit history, so even though you may have a pre-approval, doesn't mean you're approval is guaranteed. When the lender does a "hard pull" of your credit, and they see the BK and/or an account that you once had with them that was included in your BK, it's possible you'll be denied for either having a bankruptcy or a past account with them included in bankruptcy.

To the OP:
      It is usually not wise to apply for credit or loans with any creditor you included in your BK. It's been mentioned around here about "rolloing in" the charged off/discharged amount, but I have not heard of that actually happening. I usually advise anyone to not apply with past creditors that were included in BK because it's possible the lender "black listed" you and you'll most likely be denied so why waste the credit inquiry?
      Bankruptcy History:
      Chapter 7 filed - 10/12/2005 - Asset
      Discharged - 02/16/2006
      Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

Comment

Originally posted by cirnrab View Post
        I included capital one on my BK. I just got an offer for them for a credit card. QUESTION! If I were to get this card and be approved would that mean that they can make me responsible for the old bill that was included in my bk? I don't think they can but I know how companies have "tricks" up their sleeves. Thanks guys
        This could be anything from a legit offer to your name being obtained off of a mailing list somewhere and sent out with thousands of other applications to people on the same listing hoping they get some bites. Since you included Capital One in your filing, it probably falls into the latter. If you applied, the chances are 99% plus that you will be denied. As BassBoy states, "preapproved" does not mean a thing; they will still hard pull your credit history and when they see the big BK listed in there, that is usually the end of the road especially so close after discharge and the hard inquiry will sit on you credit repot for two more years..

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

We are not through with our bk but get a multitude of junk mail telling us that we are approved and time to start our new life. Once they see or thing you are bked, they want you right back in the pot as they know you cannot bk again for some years. I don’t even open the third class junk anymore. ‘Hub

P.S. Hi Flamingo
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

hubby discharged capone and then got a new card within 6 months.
            Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

My Hubs did their soft-pull pre-qualifier online, it said he was pre-approved for 4 different kinds of cards. When he actually applied, they declined him and said he was ineligible due to "previous delinquent accounts with Capital One". He did include a $10k personal line of credit in the BK from Capital One. I, however, got a $2000 limit with 8.65% and a $59 AF about 4 months post-discharge (though I had none IIB).

I've never heard of Capital One cross-collateralizing their credit cards... and I've done lots of research.
              File Date: 08/30/07 * 341 Meeting: 10/25/07 * Discharge: 01/18/08
              TransUnion: 645 * Experian: 584 * Equifax: 624

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X