Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applying for store credit after BK

Hi all,
    First let me assure you that I am not going to put myself through the debt like we were before. We have changed a lot.
    We were discharged a few months ago and we want to rebuild our credit.
    I really need to apply for a store credit from Home depot. Our home needs a repairs that we can do our selves if we can buy the supplies.
    How long after case is close you can apply. Is it ok to apply? I guess they are either have chase or citi credit. Not sure which, but I had both discharged. Can they tell me why are you applying? I am not worried if they deny it, I am worried if I get a nasty letter or something like that... can such a thing happen????

Thanks for advice.
    Cat 50

You can apply for anything at anytime but....
    They likely won't approve you. Home Depot is Citibank, and if you discharged them, they blacklist you.

They even closed accounts I had that had NOTHING to do with the BK. Zero balance, not in use for a while.

You need to put some distance between your discharge and applying for new credit.Every credit inquiry knocks your score lower.
    The best way to improve your credit: pay your existing bills on time, clean up your credit report and let time heal the wounds.
    Last edited by BK2008; 11-04-2008, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Hi Cat from another Cat:

You might want to try Lowe's. About four years ago when Home Depot came to our area, and when our credit scores were still in the 800s, we applied for store credit from Home Depot. We were turned DOWN!!!! We never did find out why.

When Lowe's opened up a few weeks later, we applied there. No Problem!!!

Having said all that, we have not tried to re-establish credit with them since discharging in August. We are having to do some major repairs to our home also. But we are buying a few supplies at a time as we can afford them. We are also doing the work ourselves. So far, our budget for material is keeping pace with our time and stamina for doing the work.

We may try to apply later on after a few more months have passed, but so far we are concentrating on being 'cash-only'.

Good luck!
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I can tell you that Lowes is a GE Money Bank card, at least the business card for Lowes is - I know this because they are in my matrix....
        Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
        Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Sears gave us 5200 approx. a year out of BK...they are citibank
          Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

No matter what card you apply for now, if you have bad credit or BK on your reports, it is just going to be much more difficult to get credit with anyone for a while so if you apply and are declined, it could be just your BK or the BK combined with the economy and lack of credit being extended to anyone. The longer you wait out of discharge and carry a stellar record during that time of payments on time for everything (mortgage, utuilities, etc.), the better your chances of obtaining approval.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Cat50 View Post
              Hi all,
              First let me assure you that I am not going to put myself through the debt like we were before. We have changed a lot.
              We were discharged a few months ago and we want to rebuild our credit.
              I really need to apply for a store credit from Home depot. Our home needs a repairs that we can do our selves if we can buy the supplies.
              How long after case is close you can apply. Is it ok to apply? I guess they are either have chase or citi credit. Not sure which, but I had both discharged. Can they tell me why are you applying? I am not worried if they deny it, I am worried if I get a nasty letter or something like that... can such a thing happen????

Thanks for advice.
              Cat 50
              If you can afford the payments on the credit card that you'll use at Lowes or wherever...why don't you just start saving the money or find a good handyman that will not charge you an arm and a leg...maybe work out some sort of trade for his labor.
              Filed CH13 November 2008
              341 with confirmation recommendation Jan 7/09 100% payback to secured and 10% to unsecured.Plan completed and discharge 02/20/13

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X