top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I include my ss# on my creditor dispute letter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I include my ss# on my creditor dispute letter?

Should I include my social security number on my creditor dispute letter? If I dont how are they going to identify who I am?

I assume that my account # is enough?

Comment

Use your account number, file number, and/or full name and billing address. I never put my SSN on any letter.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
        Use your account number, file number, and/or full name and billing address. I never put my SSN on any letter.

I just got a letter back from experian....They said they could not process my request because i did not provide sufficient identification information for them to verigy my identity and i needed to provide my ss# .

I just wasted $50 in certified mail and return receipts..

Comment

Why not include just the last four numbers of your SSN? It helps identify you but yet doesn't breach your privacy.
          CH7 Filed 2/26/2009 (no asset)
          341 Meeting 4/7/2009
          Discharged 7/10/2009
          Closed 7/28/2009

Comment

Originally posted by NY1 View Post
            I just got a letter back from experian....They said they could not process my request because i did not provide sufficient identification information for them to verigy my identity and i needed to provide my ss# .

I just wasted $50 in certified mail and return receipts..
            Let me explain my ways. When I send a letter to anyone, I don't put my SSN number on it. When I deal with Experian or Equifax or Trans Union, I either talk to them on the phone or do my disputes on-line. Therefore, I don't need to deal with providing my SSN.

I don't think you wasted any $50 as Experian is the only one giving you trouble. I would have done the Experian thing over the phone or on-line to begin with. You don't need to re-do all the letters to the creditors.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Let me explain my ways. When I send a letter to anyone, I don't put my SSN number on it. When I deal with Experian or Equifax or Trans Union, I either talk to them on the phone or do my disputes on-line. Therefore, I don't need to deal with providing my SSN.

I don't think you wasted any $50 as Experian is the only one giving you trouble. I would have done the Experian thing over the phone or on-line to begin with. You don't need to re-do all the letters to the creditors.
              I disputed online twice and they said that everything is reporting correctly...and an over the phone dispute is all automated ...so i decided to send my disputed by mail...They said they want ID, copy of a bill with my name on it etc..

Comment

I just start sending my dispute via mail...and with every lettering send them copy of my DL,SSN and a recent bill showing my address....
                BK Filed 01/14/2010, Discharged on 04/14/2010. Start rebuilding 01/01/2011.
                Turn Down By: Conns Appliance Store, Orchard Bank (IIB HSBC), Firestone Credit-CFNA
                Approve By : Capital One ( $500 Unsecured)

Comment

Any credit forum that you look at will never recommend doing online disputes for reasons of automatically having the trade line "verified" and for not having a paper trail. Most BK disputes are coming back "verified" when disputed online...there have been some successes but majority will not result in the outcome we're looking for.

I highly recommend mailing all disputes to avoid getting the automated verification method of online disputing. Most online disputes will never even see a human. Its hard to recommend to someone what they should do with their personal information... but I myself would probably put my # on the letter or at least the last 4 digits.
                  BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                  Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X