Two year credit rebuilding journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two year credit rebuilding journey

So I just hit my two year mark and wanted to outline my credit rebuilding journey for those who are just going through what I had to.

I went through a Chapter 7 so I saw the opportunity to start over as a way to make sure I don't ever fall into the same situation again.

About one month after discharge I had scores in the low 500s and things did not look good at all. But I got some offers in the mail and accepted some of them. As a result within one month I had the following credit lines:

Orchard Bank - $300 limit
    First National Bank (Legacy Credit Card) - $350 limit
    Credit One - $1000 limit
    Bryant State Bank (Show Credit Card) - $1300 limit

I also found a newer vehicle and financed part of the purchase with Wells Fargo for around $25k.

My income at this time was around $100k with only a $1400 monthly mortgage.

Two years later my scores are in the mid 700s and although I still can't get a Capital One card (they send me offers then deny me because I did BK them) here is where I stand now:

Orchard Bank - $700 limit
    First National Bank (Legacy Credit Card) - $600 limit
    Credit One - $2500 limit
    Bryant State Bank (Show Credit Card) - $2300 limit
    GE Money Bank (Rooms to Go Card) - $4500 limit
    Wells Fargo Auto Loan - $25k original amount

Income now is at around $130k while mortgage remains the same.

So I'm still not in the perfect credit position I would like to be in terms of my limits but things are absolutely looking up. Hopefully in a short period of time I'll be eligible for larger limits and more "name brand" banks. But for now I just use these cards as I need to, pay more than minimum payments on a monthly basis, and keep a small balance on them to show I'm being responsible.

For those just starting out, look at this experience as the perfect launchpad for starting over!

Great job!

That is strange though with your CapOne-experience. I BK'd them as well (Auto-loan AND CC) but they instantly approved me for a partially secured CC even without a prior pre-qualification letter. I deposited $49 and got a $200 CL. Not much but I was surprised they approved that at all 2 weeks after discharge.
    Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
    FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
    FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

Originally posted by trying_to_fix View Post
      So I just hit my two year mark and wanted to outline my credit rebuilding journey for those who are just going through what I had to.

I went through a Chapter 7 so I saw the opportunity to start over as a way to make sure I don't ever fall into the same situation again.

About one month after discharge I had scores in the low 500s and things did not look good at all. But I got some offers in the mail and accepted some of them. As a result within one month I had the following credit lines:

Orchard Bank - $300 limit
      First National Bank (Legacy Credit Card) - $350 limit
      Credit One - $1000 limit
      Bryant State Bank (Show Credit Card) - $1300 limit

I also found a newer vehicle and financed part of the purchase with Wells Fargo for around $25k.

My income at this time was around $100k with only a $1400 monthly mortgage.
      Two years later my scores are in the mid 700s and although I still can't get a Capital One card (they send me offers then deny me because I did BK them) here is where I stand now:

Orchard Bank - $700 limit
      First National Bank (Legacy Credit Card) - $600 limit
      Credit One - $2500 limit
      Bryant State Bank (Show Credit Card) - $2300 limit
      GE Money Bank (Rooms to Go Card) - $4500 limit
      Wells Fargo Auto Loan - $25k original amount

Income now is at around $130k while mortgage remains the same.

So I'm still not in the perfect credit position I would like to be in terms of my limits but things are absolutely looking up. Hopefully in a short period of time I'll be eligible for larger limits and more "name brand" banks. But for now I just use these cards as I need to, pay more than minimum payments on a monthly basis, and keep a small balance on them to show I'm being responsible.

For those just starting out, look at this experience as the perfect launchpad for starting over!
      I'm a little confused. How did you do a Chapter 7 with a six figure income? I thought that if you made a certain amount you had to do a Chapter 13. Or did you get that job after bk?
      Filed BK 7 Pro Se: August 2010 341 Meeting: September 2010
      November 2010
      Closed: January 2011!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BankruptinNJ View Post
        I'm a little confused. How did you do a Chapter 7 with a six figure income? I thought that if you made a certain amount you had to do a Chapter 13. Or did you get that job after bk?
        Many people with six-figure incomes, such as myself as well, have received Chapter 7 discharges. While mine was a non-consumer case, I could have also done a consumer case.

Receiving a Chapter 7 discharge is about your allowed expenses versus your income. Many people believe that a Chapter 7 discharge is about being under-the-median. It is not about that. I have seen under-the-median cases get dismissed for abuse (high disposable monthly income). Usually, people with high income, also have high mortgages and other expenses, which offset the issue. Also where you live, is an important factor as costs for housing and even cars is different (all the way down to the County level).

While over-the-median income filers don't get Chapter 7 discharges at the rate of under-the-median income filers, it happens every single day. Both consumer and non-consumer cases alike.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
          Many people with six-figure incomes, such as myself as well, have received Chapter 7 discharges. While mine was a non-consumer case, I could have also done a consumer case.

Receiving a Chapter 7 discharge is about your allowed expenses versus your income. Many people believe that a Chapter 7 discharge is about being under-the-median. It is not about that. I have seen under-the-median cases get dismissed for abuse (high disposable monthly income). Usually, people with high income, also have high mortgages and other expenses, which offset the issue. Also where you live, is an important factor as costs for housing and even cars is different (all the way down to the County level).

While over-the-median income filers don't get Chapter 7 discharges at the rate of under-the-median income filers, it happens every single day. Both consumer and non-consumer cases alike.
          Thanks for answering! When the post said that they had a six figure income and only a $1400 mortage (!) I was really surprised. Especially since it is so much cheaper to live in the South.
          Filed BK 7 Pro Se: August 2010 341 Meeting: September 2010
          November 2010
          Closed: January 2011!!!

Comment

I live in the South, but my mortgage is substantially higher that what most people think Southerner's pay for a large home. Generally speaking, the higher your income, the higher your expenses.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

To answer the question above, I was actually surprised as well that I had qualified for Chapter 7.

As mentioned above it was all about expenses. On top of the mortgage for the home there was also a rental home and numerous bills that unfortunately just got out of control after I went through a failed relationship. When I filled out the means test I just barely qualified but fortunately was able to start fresh again.

One thing that is for certain is that I'm doing everything in my power to never end up in this position again!

Originally posted by IBroke View Post
              Great job!

That is strange though with your CapOne-experience. I BK'd them as well (Auto-loan AND CC) but they instantly approved me for a partially secured CC even without a prior pre-qualification letter. I deposited $49 and got a $200 CL. Not much but I was surprised they approved that at all 2 weeks after discharge.

Thanks!

Yeah I'm not sure what CapOne's problem is. I just received yet another offer for a card but I've applied twice now and both times have received an automatic denial. So maybe in time but for now they're really upset with me. Strangely enough however I have a money market account with them with a decent amount in there so I thought that would count for something...But I guess not!

Comment

Originally posted by BankruptinNJ View Post
                We too had a six figure income. Our expenses were sky high. We passed without a hitch. The trustee didn't even blink an eyelid.

Helps we had an extremely competent and thorough attorney (he was not cheap but worth every cent). He laid it all out correctly and used the allowed exemptions.
                Stopped paying c. cards February 2009
                Retained attorney 11/5/09 - $100k in C.Card debt - $120000 per year income - Filed Feb 2010 - 341 Apr 2010 - No Asset Case/Report of No Dist Apr 2010 - Discharged June 2010
                Case went without a hitch!
                I HELD MY HEAD HIGH IN THAT COURTROOM AND NOW I AM MOVING ON!

Comment

To the OP - you have to remember that your Chapter 7 left you debt free and over the past two years since discharge you have a high income; so your scenario is nice for you but it won't be the launching pad you indicate for everyone. What you have received so far as to credit was based on you being debt free with a high income and the fact that you cannot file BK again for another 8 years. Your high income is a really big factor. Those with lower incomes may not fare as well as you. And as long as you have a BK on your credit report no matter how much you make or how good your score is, there will be creditors that will deny you credit just due to the BK. That is marvelous you are doing well and best of luck to you!

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Just like the 1st post, as I've stated in another thread, CapOne's modeling system may actually have a blacklist checkmark. I BK'd on them over a year ago now, and they still reject me. Maybe "we" need to just put them on the ignore list and stop trying to bother with them.

Again, it doesn't make sense, but we don't know how CapOne is making their decisions (why they accept some and not others).
                    Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

Originally posted by CCsAreEvil View Post
                      Just like the 1st post, as I've stated in another thread, CapOne's modeling system may actually have a blacklist checkmark. I BK'd on them over a year ago now, and they still reject me. Maybe "we" need to just put them on the ignore list and stop trying to bother with them.

Again, it doesn't make sense, but we don't know how CapOne is making their decisions (why they accept some and not others).
                      Since starting this thread I've received two more Cap One offers. But I'm not counting on them to accept me any time soon...

Fortunately they don't pull a real inquiry when you apply with them so it doesn't count against you. They just automatically blacklist and never pull your credit.

I almost feel like writing them and telling them they don't make any sense sending me offers yet denying me - but it's probably not worth my time and effort.

Comment

It's just CrapOne's way of playing with yah! They denied me too, and I did bk three cards on them, so they are on my don't even apply list no matter what they offer!
                        November 2, 2009: Filed Chapter 7, December 10, 2009: 341 Done! January 11, 2010 Last Day for Objections! February 9, 2010 Discharged!!! February 12, 2010 Case Closed, MyFico on 11/09: 550, Now: 715!

Comment

I also filed with a six figure income but you have to remember that its based on six month look back. I had been laid off from my job for over 8 months prior and was ineligible for unemployment. So, even though I got a new job about a month before I filed my look back was basically zero income.
                          BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                          Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X