Credit Card surviving Bankruptcy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card surviving Bankruptcy?

I was surprised to receive a card in the mail from Victoria's Secret asking why I hadn't purchased anything from them in awhile and giving me a offer for $10 any $50 purchase if I used my VS credit card.

I went back through my paperwork for my bankruptcy; I hadn't included their card since I didn't have a balance on it at the time nor had I received anything from them saying they were closing the account due to my filing.

Curious, I called the 800 number and spoke to a customer service rep who told me that my card is indeed valid and had survived the bankruptcy.

It was a nice little surprise that I wasn't expecting.
    Filed Chapter 7: 8/11/2010 341: 9/13/2010 Done!!
    9/14/2010 Trustee Report of No Distribution
    Discharged 11/15/2010 Closed 11/18/2010

It can happen, especially with those store based cards (as they are considered sub prime cards with relatively lax standards).

Should you count on a CC surviving BK, no. Does it sometimes happen, yes. Especially if the card had a zero balance at the time the case was filed.

They do know you filed BK, but, apparently, your credit profile notwithstanding the BK still allows you to qualify for that card.

Comment

My Kohls and Macys survived BK and I continue to use them. Exxon/Mobil was killed within 12 hours of filing, I included other Citibank accounts and suspect they have very quick electroic monitoring of filings, and cross-referencing.
      Chapter 7 Filed 8/11/2009, Discharged 11/23/2009

Comment

I kept a first premier card through my bk. Still works. It was a low limit cc that I didn't bk on. figured if they cancel me I can just pay it off. It came through just fine.

Comment

VS is exactly the one I've referenced before too. We are 8 days from discharge and it's still open. Does happen occasionally -- of course it hasn't been used in about 2 years.

@HHM - I had no idea store cards were considered sub-prime. wow

Comment

Well it's good to know you can file BK and still have decent underwear.
            Filed Ch. 7 11/8/10: Survived 341 Meeting 12/13/10 Report of No Distribution!! 12/14/10Received UST Presumption of Abuse!! 12/15/10 UST states Dismissal is Inappropriate! DISHARGED!! 2/22/11

Comment

Originally posted by clevelandmom View Post
              And buy it on credit......
              All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
              Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

pretty funny cleveland.....sure do like the new addition to your sig.

I had to buy wallpaper paste last week. Had a Sherwin Williams acct and never kept a balance. Was afraid to put the paste on the acct (I don't get my contractor discount if its not on acct)
                Was shakin in my shoes waiting for them to say the acct was closed. No problem. WHEY
                filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
                "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

Originally posted by clevelandmom View Post
                  Filed Chapter 7: 8/11/2010 341: 9/13/2010 Done!!
                  9/14/2010 Trustee Report of No Distribution
                  Discharged 11/15/2010 Closed 11/18/2010

Comment

LOLOL -- that was funny and Vicky Secret underwear no less! LOLOL

Comment

It really seems that my two CC-accounts (Plains Visa, unsecured and New Millennium, secured) have indeed survived my BK. I know for sure they knew about my BK (appeared as a soft pull after filing on my CR) but I was so "smart" to keep them at a $0 balance when I filed.

Since then, I'm using and paying them without any issues...
                      Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
                      FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
                      FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

My VS card has also survived, as have 2 other clothing store cards. Could care less about the cards but love those coupons!! I also didn't realize store cards are considered subprime... interesting!
                        A fresh start is a beautiful thing. And I'm not an attorney, just opinionated!

Comment

Awesome! I have a VS card I haven't used in a while. They still catalog me to death! My Fashion Bug survived, and even my corporate AMEX, which really surprised me. Fashion Bug was the very first card I ever got, so it's nice that I'm going to start over with it being in tact.
                          Chapter 7 filed 10/8/10...341 Meeting 12/6/10....Discharged 2/16/2011....Case Closed! 3/1/2011

Comment

They also do not count towards your FICO score as much as a major credit card does. Mostly they are good for rewards, positive trade lines and aiding to your utilization and average age of accounts metric.
                            BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                            Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

My Bloomingdales and Nordstrom both survived post discharge! I didn't use my Bloomies and Nordies, December 2009 as I was in the middle of my Ch 7, I had used the Nordies several times last year after my discharge, but not the Bloomies. In November I logged back into my on-line account at Bloomies and it showed active, but no credit limit, so I contacted customer service and was told yes, the card is open and my credit line was increased! So yes, credit cards do survive Bk... might see about a Nordstrom Visa, later in the year and get rid of the BestBuy MasterCard (no CL increase in the past year, unlike my Hooter's and CreditOne)!
                              November 2, 2009: Filed Chapter 7, December 10, 2009: 341 Done! January 11, 2010 Last Day for Objections! February 9, 2010 Discharged!!! February 12, 2010 Case Closed, MyFico on 11/09: 550, Now: 715!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X