Credit Card surviving Bankruptcy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrokeinMD View Post
    Awesome! I have a VS card I haven't used in a while. They still catalog me to death! My Fashion Bug survived, and even my corporate AMEX, which really surprised me. Fashion Bug was the very first card I ever got, so it's nice that I'm going to start over with it being in tact.
    I used to manage a Fashion Bug years back. I had a zero balance on the card when I filed so I wonder if it is still active.
    Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
    341 meeting on 5/28/2010
    Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

Hi Exployer....call the number to check the available credit. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised! Mine was 0 balance when I filed, too. I've had the card about 25 years. I don't use it much, but it's nice that an old card survived, even though it's not a big boy.
      Chapter 7 filed 10/8/10...341 Meeting 12/6/10....Discharged 2/16/2011....Case Closed! 3/1/2011

Comment

There is no guarantee any zero balance credit card surviving a BK filing will stay open and can be closed at any time during the coming months/years. I had a Dress Barn charge survive our Chapter 13 filing in 2/02. I used it now and then over the years for work clothing, paying it off immediately when the bill came in. I went to use the card in the fall of 2008 (two years after discharge) and was denied at the counter and advised to contact customer service as to why. Customer service advised me my account was closed due to "bankruptcy on my credit report." I was advised I could reapply after the BK came off my credit reports in April 2009 (note the denial took place just several months prior to the BK coming off credit reports). I never reapplied but get bombarded with discount coupons and freebie coupons to come back into the store. Our credit is stellar after the BK removal but I just don't need or want any credit cards for the sake of just having them.

There is no guarantee that any zero balance card will survive a BK filing; 99% of them get closed, if not within several weeks/months, even a few years down the road.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
          There is no guarantee any zero balance credit card surviving a BK filing will stay open and can be closed at any time during the coming months/years. I had a Dress Barn charge survive our Chapter 13 filing in 2/02. I used it now and then over the years for work clothing, paying it off immediately when the bill came in. I went to use the card in the fall of 2008 (two years after discharge) and was denied at the counter and advised to contact customer service as to why. Customer service advised me my account was closed due to "bankruptcy on my credit report." I was advised I could reapply after the BK came off my credit reports in April 2009 (note the denial took place just several months prior to the BK coming off credit reports). I never reapplied but get bombarded with discount coupons and freebie coupons to come back into the store. Our credit is stellar after the BK removal but I just don't need or want any credit cards for the sake of just having them.

There is no guarantee that any zero balance card will survive a BK filing; 99% of them get closed, if not within several weeks/months, even a few years down the road.
          I would bet the the financial crisis had something to do with your card being closed. I bet that if time was backed up a few years the card wouldn't have been cancelled.

We'll never know......

Logan

Comment

My Macy's made it through, but they cut my limit to 100 lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
              They certainly can be closed after a while - and that's why I already "planted" 3 new accounts right after discharge.
              Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
              FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
              FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

Fashion Bug dropped me from $1100 credit to $200.00, that's $100.00 more credit than I had when I first opened it. My fresh start is truly that, with my same first card. Wish I had the years back, too. LOL
                Chapter 7 filed 10/8/10...341 Meeting 12/6/10....Discharged 2/16/2011....Case Closed! 3/1/2011

Comment

This is my first post, and it's the question that brought me here in the 1st place. Hope I'm posting it in the correct thread.

I live in NC. I filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 04/2005, and was discharged in 07/2005. Only had credit cards/consumer loans, and my mortgage. My understanding was that my mortgage was not technically part of the BK since we still live here, and have been paying steadily before, during and since the BK until today. (Missed 30-days twice on 01/2008 and 05/2009 since the discharge in 07/2005).

Recently, I was perusing my credit report and found the following:

1. EXPERIAN lists it as BK, as "CLOSED," and says nothing whatsoever about payment history! (SCORE: 606)
                  2. TRANSUNION also lists it as BK, under "Adverse Accounts," but notes "paid or paying as agreed." (SCORE: 630)
                  3. EQUIFAX is the only one that lists this correctly as an active mortgage, with correct payment history and all. (SCORE: 680)

I disputed the EXPERIAN & TRANSUNION reports at their websites, and they both came back with essentially the same thing: verified correct.

Before I contact my mortgage company and my bk lawyer, can anybody shed some light on this for me? Any similar experiences? What do I say/not say when I call mortgage company or even when I talk to my lawyer?

Thanks for any help!
                  Last edited by SkilledOne; 04-04-2011, 10:51 PM.

Comment

SkilledOne,

When you filed for BK and were discharged, did you reaffirm your mortgage? If not, EQUIFAX and TRANSUNION are actually the ones reporting "wrong". Once a debt is discharged (yes, a mortgage IS part of a CH7 BK as well), the creditor is actually not allowed to continue reporting your history with balances because this could be seen as an "attempt to collect" which would be a violation of the permanent injunction after your discharge.

However, you could ask the lender to report again - maybe they will do so.
                    Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.

Comment

Thanks for your response, IBroke. Appreciate it.

I read somewhere that "re-affirming" (esp. as a means to improve credit score - which is my primary goal right now - is not such a great idea). My BK also closed before the "reaffirming" requirement/need came into effect in October 2005. I'd rather not entangle myself unnecessarily, wouldn't you say.

What I find curious is why the lender is willing to accept the payments (the law acknowledges this) but refuses to report them (to avoid supposed "legal" consequences). They shouldn't have it both ways. Hurt your credit with the negative bankruptcy reporting, while taking your mortgage payments every month. Double jeopardy, and reverse double-dipping of the worst kind. My thinking is that IF they aren't allowed to "legally" take your mortgage payment, then they shouldn't report the mortgage account as CH7 on your credit report at all. Fair is fair.

I have "disputed" the item again online, and they say they'll re-contact the lender. Is there a difference between asking them to "re-report" vs. "disputing?" I think it's time I called my lawyer, but thanks for your insights and I would post any pertinent info that I gather from my Prepaid Legal attorney. Thanks again!

Comment

Mortgage reporting on credit report post-CH7 discharge

I read somewhere that "re-affirming" (esp. as a means to improve credit score - which is my primary goal right now - is not such a great idea). My BK also closed before the "reaffirming" requirement/need came into effect in October 2005. I'd rather not entangle myself unnecessarily, wouldn't you say.

What I find curious is why the lender is willing to accept the payments (the law acknowledges this) but refuses to report them (to avoid supposed "legal" consequences). They shouldn't have it both ways. Hurt your credit with the negative bankruptcy reporting, while taking your mortgage payments every month. Double jeopardy, and reverse double-dipping of the worst kind. My thinking is that IF they aren't allowed to "legally" take your mortgage payment, then they shouldn't report the mortgage account as CH7 on your credit report at all. Fair is fair.

I have "disputed" the item again online, and they say they'll re-contact the lender. Is there a difference between asking them to "re-report" vs. "disputing?" I think it's time I called my lawyer, but thanks for your insights and I would post any pertinent info that I gather from my Prepaid Legal attorney. Thanks again!

Comment

NEW INFORMATION

I just spoke with a Prepaid Legal representative attorney and she proposes to write a letter to the 2 credit bureaus on my behalf to correctly report my mortgage payments. She sounded quite inexperienced, I'm afraid, and I didn't feel encouraged to ask deeper, probing questions. She needs the mailing addresses where to mail the letter (I'm about to contact Experian and Transunion for the correct address). This is a first step that is not costing me a dime (besides my regular $25/month PREPAID LEGAL membership) and, why not, I'll take the chance!

I almost concluded a call to my mortgage company, but I hung up while on hold for a "representative." I'd rather not talk to them yet, I don't want to commit myself or say something wrong. "This is an attempt to collect a debt, and any information obtained would be used for that purpose. If you filed bankruptcy and your mortgage was not re-affirmed, please disregard this message," sounded cautionary enough for me to hung up immediately! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by SkilledOne View Post

You mustn't forget that your mortgage is a SECURED loan with a LIEN. That's why they ARE allowed to take your payment. BTW, any creditor after BK is "allowed" to TAKE your payment - they are just not allowed to actively collect it - by sending you reminders or call you and say there is something "due". Many statements on mortgages after BK-discharge are going to say "for information only - not an attempt to collect". Your discharge and lack of reaffirmation is the reason for that. You are keeping your house in return for the monthly payments. Your personal liability was discharged in the BK but the lien is still there. That's what your payments are for. The personal liability for the DEBT of the mortgage is discharged - the lien is still there. Credit reports are all about DEBT and payments towards that - they are not about liens.

North Carolina is a non-recourse state but here in Florida, a lender could sue you for any deficiency after you walked away from your home. A non-reaffirmed mortgage would protect you from that.

I don't think there is a difference between "re-report" vs. "disputing". As I said, a dispute over the bureaus won't help you much. If it was not reaffirmed (which was a VERY wise decision), the correct reporting is "IIB" and $0 Balance. If you want them to report your payments, you need to contact your lender and ask them if they could.

Comment

Originally posted by SkilledOne View Post
                              NEW INFORMATION

I just spoke with a Prepaid Legal representative attorney and she proposes to write a letter to the 2 credit bureaus on my behalf to correctly report my mortgage payments. She sounded quite inexperienced, I'm afraid, and I didn't feel encouraged to ask deeper, probing questions. She needs the mailing addresses where to mail the letter (I'm about to contact Experian and Transunion for the correct address). This is a first step that is not costing me a dime (besides my regular $25/month PREPAID LEGAL membership) and, why not, I'll take the chance!

I almost concluded a call to my mortgage company, but I hung up while on hold for a "representative." I'd rather not talk to them yet, I don't want to commit myself or say something wrong. "This is an attempt to collect a debt, and any information obtained would be used for that purpose. If you filed bankruptcy and your mortgage was not re-affirmed, please disregard this message," sounded cautionary enough for me to hung up immediately! LOL!
                              The paralegal is simply wrong (see what I wrote before).

Again, simply write your lender a mail and ask them if they could report your payments in the future and that you would not consider that reporting to be a violation of the permanent injunction under the BK-code (meaning that you would not consider it to be an attempt to collect).

Comment

Well, that was fast, IBroke!

Clearly, you are VERY into this - my gain, and GREAT!

I hear you about the SECURED nature of the property and the LIEN. I can tell you, though, that my mortgage statements always include the following statement, verbatim: "WE MAY CONTACT YOU IF PAYMENT IS NOT RECEIVED BY SCHEDULED DUE DATE." And, true to their word, when I missed my payments those two times in 01/2008 and 05/2009, they did pursue me by phone! Per your explanation, they may have violated the "permanent injunction" code, then, right?

Thinking of it, I recall that when we first filed, the lawyer specifically told me that my mortgage was EXEMPT and was not included in the debt-listing when we filed. I could almost swear on this point. Is that the reason why the mortgage company was able to "actively" pursue me once I missed my payment those two months? Is it possible that the rule changes that came into effect in OCTOBER 2005 is what requires all debt, including an active and current (on payments) mortgage, be included in a bankruptcy filing? I really should speak with an experienced lawyer about this.

One quick question: once my 7-year penalty expires in 4/2012 and all the negative accts are removed from my report (except the fact of the bk, itself) how is my relationship to my mortgage company affected? Especially since I did not re-affirm? I guess the lien is the only trump card they wield still?

I may call the mortgage company with your suggestion about reporting my payments (I am happy to assure them there'd be no lawsuit) once I've had a chance to talk with an experienced lawyer. I still plan to send the lawyer the addresses to fire out the letter to EXPERIAN and TRANSUNION. Maybe once an experienced bk lawyer examines my case, they'd call me to set my mind at ease.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X