This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just did an App-O-Rama!

(For a definition of an App-O-Rama, do a Wikipedia search.)

Just applied for about 25 CC's. So far only got accepted by Discover. Got denied outright by 2, and a bunch of "need further review" (which probably means denial.)

I'm only doing this for "brownie points" to have a number of accounts open and used so that I can get a HELOC in 2 years (when the drop in my credit score from this falls off.)

Are there any BK friendly CC's with no annual fee that I should try for while in my App-O-Rama phase? (I already have the Barclay's card.)

be careful!!! app-o-rama. i dunno what we are going to do with you! LOL!!
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

App-o-rama causes 40 points to be taken off your score. Okay, that was a guess, but frequent shopping for credit cards is not the same thing as shopping for a car or home loan. There are actually models that look for this behavior so once you get to some number -- let's just say 10 in a week -- a "flag" is created in the model for too many requests for credit within a short period of time. Again, the model is okay when this is auto or home loan "shopping" but not for revolving credit.

Interesting that Discover likes you. They are one of the tougher ones. It could also be which bureau each is hitting as well.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Well, I don't plan to be looking for credit for at least a year, and more likely 2 years. By then, the hard credit pulls will have fallen off.

Before BK, I used to be a passive stoozer (i.e., only apply for CC's when they were actively advertized to me), and most folks would do the app-o-rama to stooze. But since the CC's now impose harsh fees on balance transfers, stoozing is not really lucrative at all.

Comment

Wow - 25 - when all the replies come in I would love to hear what the approval ratio turns out to be.

And may I ask were any department/retail stores?
          Filed Pro Se: 11.12.2010 ~ 341: 1.12.2011 ~ Discharged: 3.9.2011 ~ Officially an Asset Case: 3.30.2011 ~ Last Day to File Asset Claim: 6.28.2011 ~ Trustee Final Report: 8.1.2011 ~ Asset Distribution: 8.31.2011 ~ Case Close: 11.15.2011

Comment

Originally posted by DesdemonaB View Post
            Wow - 25 - when all the replies come in I would love to hear what the approval ratio turns out to be.

And may I ask were any department/retail stores?
            I chose just about any merchant that I thought I might have a chance of buying something from.

Here's the list:

APPLIED, BUT HAVE NOT RECEIVED DECISION YET

Amazon

Shell

Exxon

Chevron & Texaco

Home Depot

Lowes

LL Bean

US Bank

Eddie Bauer

Goodyear

J Crew

Kohl's

Macy*s

National Ski Patrol

OfficeMax

Conoco

PNC

RadioShack

Sears

Staples

US Bank

STILL NEED TO APPLY VIA THE PHONE B/C OF TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES ON WEBSITE

JC Penney

Superfleet

NEED TO APPLY VIA MAIL:

Target

CREDIT CARDS APPROVED:

Discover

Firestone

CREDIT CARDS REJECTED:

Best Buy - HAD BEEN OFFERED A CARD WITH ANNUAL FEE, BUT TURNED IT DOWN

Paypal

DID NOT APPLY FOR B/C OF BK: (I.E., THERE WAS SOMETHING ON THE APPLICATION THAT ASKED IF I HAD FILED FOR BK, WHICH I PRESUMED MEANT A BIG NO!)

BP

Chase Freedom

Banana Republic

PNC
            Last edited by JackBondLove; 12-20-2011, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Why are you so fixated on a HELOC?
              And you're going about this the wrong way. Too late now.

Good luck.

Comment

And you were approved for Discover with a BK on your record? They are very anti BK.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan View Post
                  And you were approved for Discover with a BK on your record? They are very anti BK.
                  Yes, I was approved for Discover CC.

Comment

Gasp! You applied for 25 credit cards at one time???

Perhaps you were turned down for some/have to wait for some because they think it is fraudulent activity?

Once when I had good credit, I applied for 3 credit cards in one month, was approved by all three, and my score plummetted 70 points and never recovered.

By the way, I have never heard of a "National Ski Patrol" card
                    Filed BK 7 Pro Se: August 2010 341 Meeting: September 2010
                    November 2010
                    Closed: January 2011!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JackBondLove View Post
                      I chose just about any merchant that I thought I might have a chance of buying something from.

Here's the list:

Amazon

Shell

Exxon

Chevron & Texaco

Home Depot

Lowes

LL Bean

US Bank

Eddie Bauer

Goodyear

J Crew

Kohl's

Macy*s

National Ski Patrol

OfficeMax

Conoco

PNC

RadioShack

Sears

Staples

US Bank

JC Penney

Superfleet

NEED TO APPLY VIA MAIL:

Target

CREDIT CARDS APPROVED:

Discover

Firestone

CREDIT CARDS REJECTED:

Paypal

DID NOT APPLY FOR B/C OF BK: (I.E., THERE WAS SOMETHING ON THE APPLICATION THAT ASKED IF I HAD FILED FOR BK, WHICH I PRESUMED MEANT A BIG NO!)

BP

Chase Freedom

Banana Republic

PNC

Wow - I am speechless.. I am without speech...

28 applied.... 32 concerned. That is a lot of f'ing cards (excuse my typing)

Logan asked why? So do I...

Personal I believe you pick the worst "season" to shop and/or attempt - hello Christmas...

I wish you the best of luck, but IMHO this is not going to help you; don't be surprised that you are missing the seat of your pants when you need them the most.
                      Filed Pro Se: 11.12.2010 ~ 341: 1.12.2011 ~ Discharged: 3.9.2011 ~ Officially an Asset Case: 3.30.2011 ~ Last Day to File Asset Claim: 6.28.2011 ~ Trustee Final Report: 8.1.2011 ~ Asset Distribution: 8.31.2011 ~ Case Close: 11.15.2011

Comment

Hey Jack

As I re-read this... the soonest you can apply for HELOC is 2.1.2014.... that is in a "perfect" world where 28 inquires are removed.

I just don't understand your thinking... can you explain this to me (like I'm a 5-year old).

Comment

Originally posted by JackBondLove View Post

Here's the list:

Amazon Chase and GE Capital Retail Bank

Shell CITIBANK

Exxon GE MoneyBank

Chevron & Texaco GE Capital Retail Bank

Home Depot CITIBANK

Lowes GE Capital Retail Bank

LL Bean BARCLAYS

US Bank

Eddie Bauer World Financial Network National Bank

Goodyear CITIBANK

J Crew World Financial Network Bank

Kohl's Capital One

Macy*s Department Stores National Bank

National Ski Patrol Partners First

OfficeMax U.S. Bank National Association

Conoco CITIBANK

PNC

RadioShack CITIBANK

Sears CITIBANK or HBSC if it is a 'Sears Solution' Card

Staples CITIBANK

US Bank

JC Penney Monogram Credit Card Bank of Georgia

Superfleet Speedway SuperAmerica LLC

NEED TO APPLY VIA MAIL:

Target Target National Bank

CREDIT CARDS APPROVED:

Discover

Firestone

CREDIT CARDS REJECTED:

Paypal

BP

Chase Freedom

Banana Republic

PNC
                          Just an FYI that you have a lot of cards with duplicate issuing banks (noted in red - I had insomnia so I Googled - not 100% sure but did the best I could to make sure the info is accurate) so I am interested to see how this plays out. Good luck!
                          ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                          Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

why oh why oh why! I'm curious too why you are so hell bent on getting a HELOC. I know that you said before in a post that you want to purchase a new home and use it for the downpayment and then when you are in the new home sell but applying for and getting denied for probably most of these cards isn't going to look good. I can tell you right now Target will deny you. They cancelled my car not a week after I filed Chapter 7 and I had a zero balance at the time and paid in full for 5 years before that. Sears is also a very difficult card to get. Wouldn't it have been smarter to maybe post that list and get a bit of advice on who might outright deny you before you went on your app-a-rama spree? 5 years out of chapter 7 I even had a hard time getting a card from Tires Plus and I needed like $2,500 worth of work done on my car at the time too. I guess I'm not understanding why you would apply for so many at once and not space this out a bit while using the ones you got approved for each month. Am I missing something here?
                            Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Couple things to keep in mind, true the hard inquiries will fall off in a couple years. the approvals you do get, more than likely, will be because they know you cannot file BK again for X years. Now for the score hit, I would say, at a minimum, it will probably drop 25 points or so. Alot of these cards don 't pull from all three, but use just one or two so it will vary across all three.

just fyi

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X