top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

barclayscard just lowered my available credit!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JackBondLove View Post
    My income for 2010 was $38K.
    Correct me if I am wrong since it has been some time since I've applied for a CC. Don't they ask you what your present income is and where you are employed? I thought you had said you weren't working right now and are living off of your IRA? I thought I read that somewhere.
    Maybe they just ask where your income is coming from?
    Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      AMEX wanted proof of income but only from the IRS!
      They are the worst out there. When I had a Business Gold Card with them, I even got a phone call one day, asking why my visitor-counter on my business-website was so low??!! The guy from AMEX DEMANDED access to ALL my business numbers and documents - not just proof of income. Basically, they even wanted to have the names of my business-partners and companies I was dealing with. I had to LOL into the phone and told him "You won't get that information. Who do you think you are? Take back your card. Good buy!"
      Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
      FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
      FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
        Correct me if I am wrong since it has been some time since I've applied for a CC. Don't they ask you what your present income is and where you are employed? I thought you had said you weren't working right now and are living off of your IRA? I thought I read that somewhere.
        Maybe they just ask where your income is coming from?
        The $38K was for a Roth conversion and traditional IRA distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
          I think others on here may feel/see the same and don't know exactly what to say because you appear to be in a bit of denial about the whole thing and will just indicate that you are not doing anything wrong.
          I know I've been struggling with what to say because I fear it will fall on deaf ears. But I'll say what I want to say anyway.

JackBondLove, I don't blame the credit card company for lowering your credit limit. They have broken no promises to you. The credit card agreement allows them to lower your limit. You were a risk when you applied because of your BK. After you got the card, they saw you had applied for a lot of other cards and received a couple. You now appear to be even a higher risk. They did the smart thing. I believe somebody predicted this would happen in your app-o-rama thread. The credit card company doesn't have the information we all have from reading your posts. If they did, they might cancel your account all together.

You are unemployed and are thinking ahead about how you are going to use your available credit. If you don't have any money to pay off the balance, you plan to use your IRA to pay it. From another post, this would be an early distribution from your IRA. That's a terrible financial decision. Considering the penalty you will pay, you will not be getting the benefit of a 0% rate.

You are mad because your credit limit will be too low to allow you to buy a transatlantic airline ticket. Guess what: You can't afford to travel overseas! Stay home until you can afford to pay cash for an airline ticket. Even without the decrease in your credit limit, charging that ticket would have used a large portion of your available credit. Not a good way to rebuild your credit rating and make you look attractive to a mortgage lender.

If you continue along your current path, you appear to be at high risk of once again winding up with more debt than you can pay. With any luck, creditors will continue to keep a short leash on your ability to borrow and help minimize the damage.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
            I know I've been struggling with what to say because I fear it will fall on deaf ears. But I'll say what I want to say anyway.

JackBondLove, I don't blame the credit card company for lowering your credit limit. They have broken no promises to you. The credit card agreement allows them to lower your limit. You were a risk when you applied because of your BK. After you got the card, they saw you had applied for a lot of other cards and received a couple. You now appear to be even a higher risk. They did the smart thing. I believe somebody predicted this would happen in your app-o-rama thread. The credit card company doesn't have the information we all have from reading your posts. If they did, they might cancel your account all together.

You are unemployed and are thinking ahead about how you are going to use your available credit. If you don't have any money to pay off the balance, you plan to use your IRA to pay it. From another post, this would be an early distribution from your IRA. That's a terrible financial decision. Considering the penalty you will pay, you will not be getting the benefit of a 0% rate.

You are mad because your credit limit will be too low to allow you to buy a transatlantic airline ticket. Guess what: You can't afford to travel overseas! Stay home until you can afford to pay cash for an airline ticket. Even without the decrease in your credit limit, charging that ticket would have used a large portion of your available credit. Not a good way to rebuild your credit rating and make you look attractive to a mortgage lender.

If you continue along your current path, you appear to be at high risk of once again winding up with more debt than you can pay. With any luck, creditors will continue to keep a short leash on your ability to borrow and help minimize the damage.
            Agreed 100%
            "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

You are mad because your credit limit will be too low to allow you to buy a transatlantic airline ticket. Guess what: You can't afford to travel overseas! Stay home until you can afford to pay cash for an airline ticket. Even without the decrease in your credit limit, charging that ticket would have used a large portion of your available credit.
              I actually garner an income (off the books - or should I say, completely eclipsed by official Per Diem deductions available to me) abroad by teaching English. I can't find work in my field (software development) because folks abroad will work for so much less. Ironically, I am teaching English to folks who are taking my job away.

Comment

Why not just use the IRA to buy your airline ticket?
                Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
                Discharged! June 28, 2012
                Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by JackBondLove View Post
                  I actually garner an income (off the books - or should I say, completely eclipsed by official Per Diem deductions available to me) abroad by teaching English.
                  Good. Then budget and save to pay for the things you need.
                  LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                  Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                  $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Good. Then budget and save to pay for the things you need.
                    Even better.
                    Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
                    Discharged! June 28, 2012
                    Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by lotsahats View Post
                      Why not just use the IRA to buy your airline ticket?
                      To do that, I would need to know exactly how much to take out. When buying a ticket, it's a case of "here's the price right this second, it could be gone in 10 minutes!" Getting money from being invested in a mutual fund in the IRA to having it available in the checking account for use via a debit card takes about a week. And then there is the situation of having the distribution take place in one tax year or the other - as well as cause total income to go up for that period of time, which could hamper getting various means tested benefits, like SNAP, which I get when in the USA.

Comment

I contacted Barclays and was told to reapply in 6 months, so I will just stop charging when I reach the limit, pay the minimums, and wait for my credit increase then.

Comment

To do that, I would need to know exactly how much to take out. When buying a ticket, it's a case of "here's the price right this second, it could be gone in 10 minutes!" Getting money from being invested in a mutual fund in the IRA to having it available in the checking account for use via a debit card takes about a week. And then there is the situation of having the distribution take place in one tax year or the other - as well as cause total income to go up for that period of time, which could hamper getting various means tested benefits, like SNAP, which I get when in the USA.
                          So how do you live day to day if every purchase requires notice so you can preplan a distribution from your IRA? Surely you keep some funds liquid in a checking account to buy groceries and pay living expenses?

Withdraw an extra $100 over the estimated ticket price from your IRA. If you don't end up needing it for the ticket, that's money you would have needed to take anyways for living expenses. Your situation is really that close that an extra $100 is going to make a serious impact on your tax/benefit situation?

I just don't get it. It makes no sense.

You're using the card and carrying a balance? You realize that causes issues with your 0%, right?

You want to "milk that 0%"... for what? The interest you could earn on 15 months of $1,900 deposited in the bank? The tax benefit of not taking a distribution? You are apparently near poverty level, so you'd be paying 10% if no qualified reason and likely no tax. Is playing these games with the card company really worth the savings?

I have $14,000 available credit on my Navy Federal card, and they're offering 0% for 12-months with no transfer fee. I haven't accessed it -- why? The pittance of arbitrage I could earn on $14,000 is not worth the risk profile it telegraphs to my other creditors considering my recent bankruptcy. You're talking about a factor less in credit. You should have left it alone and used it for the occasional expense and paid in full. It's not worth it.

You and I are risky debtors. Even the nicest creditor is skittish in loaning us money, for good reason.

I can't believe you act shocked or surprised that they lowered your credit limit after a risky customer engaged in bust-out very-risky behavior. It's a shame, since myself and many others can prove that with a little patience and good management Barclay and others are very generous in extending credit to post-BK people.

Had you just been a little patient and reasonable, you'd probably have the limit you desire for your ticket purchase in plenty of time.

Comment

This thread has run its course and is being closed.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X