No announcement yet.

Living Without A/C This Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a kid we used to wear damp t-shirts and sit in front of the fan. You have to thoroughly wring them out so they're not dripping or it's yucky. We also used to lie shirtless under a damp tea-towel.

A little spray water bottle can help cool you off too. We used to do that when we sunbaked ourselves on purpose. The body cools itself by sweating and this method is a cheat using that principle. Works best if you have a fan.
    There are two secrets for success in life:
    1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

Originally posted by debee View Post
      When I was a kid we used to wear damp t-shirts and sit in front of the fan. . .
      debee is on the right track with this suggestion (I have used it numerous times)

Get a block of ice. Put ice in a rubbermaid type tub. Point fan so the air hits ice and bounces up towards you. The air cools as it passes over the ice.

Des.

Comment

I could never give up A/C here, but I have raised the thermostat a bit....used to enjoy 78 degrees in the house but now we can get by with 82, plus I am on the "Balanced Payment Plan" from PG&E, they average my last 12 months bills and I pay a set amount every month, so even when its hot in the summer, my bill stays the same, makes it easier to budget for
        Chapter 7 Filed 12/7/11
        341 Hearing 1/12/12
        Discharged 3/23/12!

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post

Hey frogger..... ya wanna come tell your little buddies to keep it quiet at night in my pool? Dont mind having a pool party...but only with those I invite Damn frogs are noisy as hell!
          Can't help it. Me and the boys get to drinking and love having that pool party at your place.
          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
            Can't help it. Me and the boys get to drinking and love having that pool party at your place.
            LMAO! :P

Speaking of A/C - we're in the car the other day and our son is complaining "its hot.. I cant feel the air" (mind you..3 vents are blowing directly AT him and I can feel the path of airflow). I turned around and told him if he kept complaining that I would turn it off, roll down the windows and give him something to complain about! Then the entire "when we were young..." speech came rolling out LOL! No seat belts, no a/c (fan in the room like everyone else), no car A/C - and we were outside playing from sun up to sundown! Water bottles? HA HA HA HA! You got thirsty you drank from the garden hose!

He shut up pretty fast...

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
              LMAO! :P

Speaking of A/C - we're in the car the other day and our son is complaining "its hot.. I cant feel the air" (mind you..3 vents are blowing directly AT him and I can feel the path of airflow). I turned around and told him if he kept complaining that I would turn it off, roll down the windows and give him something to complain about! Then the entire "when we were young..." speech came rolling out LOL! No seat belts, no a/c (fan in the room like everyone else), no car A/C - and we were outside playing from sun up to sundown! Water bottles? HA HA HA HA! You got thirsty you drank from the garden hose!

He shut up pretty fast...
              Well, I see a lot of good suggestions, but many are to add a fan, ice, water, etc.. However, when you add these things, it defeats the idea of the no A/C. One idea I have that is what most old timers as children, got used to. That is; get used to the warmth. Open both the front and back doors, close windows and you can get a hearty breeze. Also, opening all windows at night then closing them in the day was a very good suggestion. We here on our place have a particular problem. In FL we have a mold problem as we live next to the river. The air dries with A/C and keeps our place free of this health problem. I will be pleased to find out how this experiment works for others. 'Hub
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Angelina, I think the only thing with that is many houses are simply not built today for that kind of ventiallation. Also, in FL you generally get air movement in many places.

Where I live in the summer (now really May through Oct) there is ZERO air movement - hot humid, polluted, nasty air. 1900 population=Eight THOUSAND. TOday - over 500,000.

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                Well, I see a lot of good suggestions, but many are to add a fan, ice, water, etc.. However, when you add these things, it defeats the idea of the no A/C. One idea I have that is what most old timers as children, got used to. That is; get used to the warmth. Open both the front and back doors, close windows and you can get a hearty breeze. Also, opening all windows at night then closing them in the day was a very good suggestion. We here on our place have a particular problem. In FL we have a mold problem as we live next to the river. The air dries with A/C and keeps our place free of this health problem. I will be pleased to fink out how this experiment works for others. 'Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy03 View Post
                  Well since I'm in FL - I would not be living without AC ever...LOL

I'd rather not eat...LOL

Good Luck to you!
                  today's suppose to 98!!!!!!!!!!! and here it's usually 5 degrees higher than the news reports since we are out in the farmlands. (and today the humidity is like DEATH), oh mine...nope can't do without a/c here. also our house is concrete and we keep in at an average temp and have it included with our budget.

i'd do without food before the a/c!! but i do think it depend were you do live.
                  8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                    Open both the front and back doors, close windows and you can get a hearty breeze.
                    Hey 'Hub,

I didn't know this. I've been opening ALL the windows and the door to try to get the house as cool as possible. Does leaving the doors open and the windows closed work better?

Aslo, re: closing the windows during the day and opening the house up at night... it is still light out here after 8pm. What time/level of darkness is it safe to open up the house without risking warming it after it's been closed up all day?

Comment

APL - normally - unless you have a late T-storm, etc., normally it's hottest during the late afternoon early evening, just before sundown - always also subtract 1 hour for daylight savings time to judge what time it REALLY is. If it's very cloudy, you'll get far less cooling at night then if it's clear.

Haze/water trap heat, hence Eastern Seabord of teh US with the massive humidity tends not too "cool" too much at night...

Originally posted by APL View Post
                      Hey 'Hub,

I didn't know this. I've been opening ALL the windows and the door to try to get the house as cool as possible. Does leaving the doors open and the windows closed work better?

Aslo, re: closing the windows during the day and opening the house up at night... it is still light out here after 8pm. What time/level of darkness is it safe to open up the house without risking warming it after it's been closed up all day?

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                        today's suppose to 98!!!!!!!!!!! and here it's usually 5 degrees higher than the news reports since we are out in the farmlands. (and today the humidity is like DEATH), oh mine...nope can't do without a/c here. also our house is concrete and we keep in at an average temp and have it included with our budget.

i'd do without food before the a/c!! but i do think it depend were you do live.
                        Tobee, I am going to quote your last remark to my hubby so he sees what a sacrifice I am making to do without a/c! Damn menopause, lol

Comment

Originally posted by StrawberrySu View Post
                          Tobee, I am going to quote your last remark to my hubby so he sees what a sacrifice I am making to do without a/c! Damn menopause, lol
                          :-) If you're moving to NC - unless you're going to be at the beach - you WILL need A/C!!!

Comment

ahhhhhhh....berry, just come on over this way, we are nice and cool...temp reading just now after we got home is 103.....terrible!!!

feel free to quote me anytime to him..LOL!!!! i'm on your side with this one!
                            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

IamOld, we don't have a/c in our house here in Ohio, but will definitely have central air when we rent in NC, no doubt about it! And Tobee .... 103 degrees? I am sorry I didn't know you lived in ... uh... h - e - double hockey sticks!

Comment

IamOld, we don't have a/c in our house here in Ohio, but will definitely have central air when we rent in NC, no doubt about it! And Tobee .... 103 degrees? I am sorry I didn't know you lived in ... uh... h - e - double hockey sticks!
                                in nj we didn't either....we just had room a/c 's for the bedroom at night, although it did get really hot there, at least the nights and a ton of trees that cooled everything down in the mountains where we lived.

not here tho!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X