top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you Could Save a Ton of Cash and Almost Live for Free Would you....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you Could Save a Ton of Cash and Almost Live for Free Would you....

put 4 generations under one roof. would one consider this a smart financial move if you were let say, in your mid 30's raising your kids, or too old or young to care for yourself, or to those that are the caregivers that are in mid life age?

it would allow the mid 30's to save almost every dime. it would help those in the mid life stage of life as caregivers since the burden the care giving wouldn't be totally left to them, it would help the elderly persons financially by not spending their entire life savings on care and they would be emotionally happier with their own family surrounding them, than being put in a home?

does it make good financial sense if one could pay with enough cash and get a big enough place to do this, so no house payments? would you do it? (gulp)
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 10-06-2013, 05:52 PM. Reason: correct the title spelling
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Sounds a lot like The Waltons! It worked for them.

Comment

LOL !!!! you have a point! i sure wished i had watched that show more
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Multi-generational family life is very common around the world... just not so much here in the U.S.
        Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
        Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

Yes! in fact, someday we would love a place with enough property and houses for all! Would save a ton of money and we are there for the grandpups.

Love it ... Too bad I'm stuck with the way the real estate market is...ugh

Comment

This used to be the norm up until about 100 years or so ago. Then the Great Depression and the Great Dust Bowl happened in the 1930s. The population started moving around in search of work.

Then after WW II and the soldiers came back home, it became common practice for two people to marry and move out into their own place. The sense of the extended family died out to a certain extant.

Then came Lyndon Baines Johnson, and the Great Society. Now all of a sudden there is/are subsidies to help this group, that group, and all, if everyone is single.

Except it subsidizes single mothers with children, and disenfranchises the fathers. So the fathers are left out in the cold and have learned to just sire children and go away. The mothers get more subsidies with each child she bears.

We taxpayers are PAYING for this, if you aren't aware of it.

Unfortunately, the mothers and fathers are illiterate teenagers that have no education or job skills, and the poor grandparents, who should be able to enjoy their Retirement years are having to raise their grandchildren.

I know this is a simplistic way of putting a huge problem, but, it is short and simple and to the point, IMHO.
            Last edited by AngelinaCat; 10-06-2013, 05:27 PM.
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

2 cents:

Yes the concept of whole family housing may have worked but I'm not sure. Lets say, two people, four parents, two children average is quite a mess for that family. I see infighting as well as power grabbing. Not too practical to me.

My Bible says something to the effect of "honor your father and mother" but it also says "cleave onto your spouse". (don't hold me to the exact words). Once weaned from the nest, an adult is on their own. Today, the "old folks" should have prepared for that latter life. Not always ideal but I would never impose upon my children's life. They have their own challenges and I would never want to be another one to them. 'Hub
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Now, to get on another part of this topic, we, 'Hub and I, DO have a piece of property that can support several different people.

It is part of a parcel that was purchased in 1860 by my Great-grandfather. Because we really have no heirs, and wanted to honor GGFather's wishes, as well as our own, we sold the property to a State entity and have retained a Life Estate. A Park is made out of the rest.

The Life Estate is on a 4 acre piece of property. We have to be very silent and quiet about any activity. However, we have invited three different 'guests' onto the property.

Most of the 'guests' are fine and cooperative, but the one set that I despise are 'city people'. They have no skills whatever that will add to the entire household. And he is a cretin and gigolo living off his 'wife's money.

Everyone else on the property helps in some way to keep everything working. That is the idea; that we will all work together for the good of all. But the cretins--especially the male--will not.
                Last edited by AngelinaCat; 10-06-2013, 07:46 PM.

Comment

It depends on what part of the country you are from. In Michigan we have heavy Latino, Hispanic and Arab populations who buy large houses and live and save large sums of money and then open businesses. Some families love and enjoy each others company unconditionally, I believe only you can answer that. Do you want your aging parents living in a retirement home, do you want to play a larger role in raising your grandkids while your children are building their careers. If you are a close loving family, most of the time at least one of the parents will end of living with you anyway and if you don't work(retired) the grandkids will be spending at least 8 hours a day in your home instead of being sent to a babysitter.
                  Last edited by magic13; 10-06-2013, 05:49 PM.

Comment

There are times (rare) that I don't agree with my wife. The farm is actually 22 acres, 3 of which we can build on and 202 that we now have a park upon with life rights.

We get rent so that is a contribution. As far as getting into the others business, that is not our business. So, it is not exactly what Tobee43 was getting at.

Now, as I understand, many years ago it took a large family to take care of all. The death rate was far higher and many children did not survive and were needed as farm hands. Parents only lived into late forties and fifties, and worked themselves to death. It was a necessity at that time.

Times are different and the amalgamating factors are this World again is changing due to economical reasons. Now, children again are going to parents homes and parents to children. This is not for the same reasons as a new paradigm. Also the same should be noted that due to some political threat, people are befriending their neighbors who may be like thinking as for protection.

Not to go political, the economy is weaker than spoken of and our currency is going bad. See if I am in error when you go to the grocery store. Walmart best apple pie in the world, $3.98 last month, $4.98 this month. A 20% hike in costs. Likewise, a 15 oz shampoo was 0.99 last month and $1.27 on sale at CVS.

You be the Judge but we must all stand together as a Country for the need to do so is on the horizon. 'Hub
                    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by magic13 View Post
                      It depends on what part of the country you are from. In Michigan we have heavy Latino, Hispanic and Arab populations who buy large houses and live and save large sums of money and then open businesses. Some families love and enjoy each others company unconditionally, I believe only you can answer that. Do you want your aging parents living in a retirement home, do you want to play a larger role in raising your grandkids while your children are building their careers. If you are a close loving family, most of the time at least one of the parents will end of living with you anyway and if you don't work(retired) the grandkids will be spending at least 8 hours a day in your home instead of being sent to a babysitter.
                      I certainly do not disagree with you. Every family is different. I think Tobee was putting out the feelers as to our Society at large. He/she may correct me if I'm wrong. As stated in my previous post, time changes things and for different reasons. We again are amalgamating families but for totally different reasons. Necessity is the only thing that has not changed. In today's World, the insular family is different than it was. We are all spinning our own speed, as it were. Like excuse this expression, but "different strokes for different folks". 'Hub

Comment

Well a loving close family will always try to make life easier for other family members almost sometimes to a fault. I come from the belief that it is impossible to be happy even if you are living in a million dollar home with a jet in the personal hangar if your immediate family is struggling and unhappy. So if you have a plan to rectify it, why not be happy

Comment

Unfortunately, not everyone has a 'loving close' family to deal with. Most of the buzzards come out at Death.

Dearest God-Daughter's oldest adult child wants a DNA test conducted on all of her siblings so that she can eliminate them from any inheritance that their father may have had when he passed suddenly a couple of weeks ago. In other words, she has just called her mother a *****....

For the Record: Dearest G-Daughter made her own, satisfactory reply: "Don't worry about your sisters' DNA; you need to be concerned about your own."

At that point, P, shut up and left the premises. I am proud of her!
                          Last edited by AngelinaCat; 10-06-2013, 08:31 PM.

Comment

whoooooooo...hub: "cleave onto your spouse"!! you crack me up. magic, i was thinking hopefully more on the lines of your example. TOO funny angelinacat with respect to the DNA! thebajan, i think you are right on target here, i think i many other countries other than the US it is much more prevalent.
                            Df0427 hopefully time will change all that in your future

i believe if this is done successfully, it is the middle aged parent to the 30's who work hard and just spin their wheels, spending upwards of 2k monthly for childcare alone, whatever extra they get goes towards their medical co-pays for all the stuff the kids pick up at day care. also, a nursing home can wipe out the elder parents entire life savings after just a small period of time passes. after the nursing homes grab up every single dime the grandparents broke their backs earning to make everyone's life easier is now for everyone, it's gone in a blink.

hub you're correct, i wanted to know what people thought in general of this concept mainly because i just signed the papers on friday and the closing is in november. (gulp).

being the one's in the "middle" part of this situation everything falls on that age category, the little ones, which frankly as i have said before i don't mind carrying the things to full term, living 9 months of my life in over sized clothes that resemble something one would see at a whale fashion show, then having to deliver them, i just have issues once they are actually begin taking space in what use to be ones hobby room. interrupting a good movie. now factor in the financial contributions we are making to help not only our children make ends meet, but also those little things need clothes and shoes and on occasion food. the really only true feeling of satisfaction is experienced when one of then requests my assistance when their parents need disciplinarian action against them, personally i do rather have some fulfillment i hate to admit it as actual enjoyment! when one does request a time out for mommy for being naughty. that may be our favorite part of this situation

in the meantime no mortgage payment, divide bills by 3. just like only master for the elderly parents, on the 2nd two suites one the "owners" and then for the younger kids, one for us plus two more bedrooms. OR, the third floor an entire mother and daughter private entrances plus more close to 5k square

the offer has been excepted so now it's wait and see what happens. i'm scared, but i am more scare of the recent diagnoses we rec'd on my d/h. i just need help this time and that was the hardest thing i even had to face. i think being around family is not only healing, but it's good for the soul i said it before, and i'll say it again, we can do it!!!!
                            Last edited by tobee43; 10-07-2013, 12:34 PM.

Comment

oh boy - although I love my family dearly and would do anything for them - unless the world was ending or some other major issue was going on, I dont think i'd want everyone to live together at one time. Been there, done that - no thanks. Causes too much tension and you end up resenting one another.

Now.. if I had HUNDREDS of acres that they could be spread out over..then yeah.. maybe.

Of course, if push came to shove and my IMMEDIATE family had no where to go...then yes...I'd welcome them with open arms (and a severe case of TMJ and lots o' hooch).

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X