top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dread not required at my successful 341!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dread not required at my successful 341!

Okay, so here are my observations regarding my 341 today:

First off, we got there early. I mean early. I mean WAY early. The court wasn't even open yet. Our meeting was at 11:00, we got there at 8:30. Eventually the security guard showed up and opened the room at 9:00, and we waited an hour for the first cases to start at 10:00. For some reason I thought there were 9:00 o'clock cases. The good part was, we got to watch the first round of Chapter 7s. The trustee was an older gentleman, and was very nice. I only heard him sound a bit miffed a time or two. Many people were only asked the same basic questions, a few were questioned more in depth. Those questions mostly centered around tax refunds, property transferred between family members, and purchase dates and market value of homes or rentals.

The attorneys were a pretty mixed bag. Some seemed on the ball, but the trustee had to ask many attys for additional documentation (deeds of trust, tax returns, etc.). Maybe it is just me, but I was shocked at the dress code of the attorneys. Yes, about 50% wore suits, but the rest wore shirts and dress slacks, blazers and dress slacks, one female atty wore a long sweater over her slacks .. didn't even realize she was an atty. One atty wore a shirt that was wrinkled. I appreciated the fact that my attorney looked like he took my fee and bought his attire! He wore a nice blue suit, pink pin stripe shirt, and a pink paisley tie. Quite the Beau Brummell. Some attys looked quite young, one even looked a heck of a lot like a Kewpie Doll.

Now as to the demeanor of the attorneys. The atty chair was a swivel-tilt office chair. A few of the attorneys seemed a bit too relaxed, one even kicked back in the chair like he was watching a football game at home when it was his turn with his clients. One atty dropped (loudly) each of his three folders to the floor as he finished with each client. Most of the attys had to fumble with paperwork when a question was asked of the client. One atty responded with "I think so" to the questions asked, or "As far as I know". Several did not respond "Yes, sir", but simply "Yes", as did their clients. I thought we were supposed to show a modicum of respect for the court? And this IS the South, where "yes sir" is de rigueur.

The docket showed us our place in the schedule, which I didn't realize beforehand. Our group, the 11:00 o'clocks, didn't get started until 11:30, but we were done by noon. There was a couple with a baby, and he said he would take them first. While I am wondering where I can get a baby on short notice, the trustee realizes they are Pro Se, and says, "No you will have to wait." One woman is not there when she is called. She shows up 20 minutes into the meeting, and her atty says "my client is here", but the trustee put her off until the end, I guess, lol. The person who drove the trustee batty was a guy who had two parcels of land in CA. He did not know the street names of the addresses, and the trustee had to ask him several times to verify what properties he had and where they were. His atty was no help. Many attys were told, "I sent you an email yesterday about this". Many attys were asked to send in items after the fact. These items were all things we had supplied our atty with, and I wasn't sure if the other attys hadn't requested them from their clients beforehand. Our atty had no problems with any of his clients.

Our atty had six cases. He ushered us all out of the courtroom and into a small antechamber. There, he went over how the proceeding was going to go, from start to finish. He was the only atty to do this. He asked if we had questions, and said he would be available afterwards for questions. He said the trustee was the only trustee who was not an attorney. Nope, our trustee was a CPA. Not just a CPA, but a FORENSIC CPA. In other words, our trustee spent his non-trustee time digging into financial records to find problems. GULP! Oh, joy. But not to worry, our atty said, because the trustee was a personal friend of our atty for many years, in fact he was his CPA! He knew exactly what he would be looking for and that know of us should have any problems. And we didn't.

If I had to choose an atty again, and I went to this 341, I would have chosen my atty hands down, no question. I highly recommend posters attend a few 341s and get a feel for the attys. How does he handle himself in court, and how do the clients seem? My atty was not expensive, only $1600. But I felt like I was represented buy a $5000 atty! I was braced for a grilling about our rental properties, cars recently sold, money in bank account, schedule J ... let me at 'em, I'm ready. Nope, nothin', nada, zip. Just the standard questions. So happy it is over, and really happy with my atty choice. Which is good, since I have become friends with another poster on here in my area, and referred them to him, lol. Now I don't have to worry about that!

Thanks for a GREAT review. I'm glad it went so well for you.
    I'd love to go see the atty's we interviewed in action. We haven't been able to figure out where they will be and when. Can't seem to find that info for NJ courts.
    Forensic CPA--- interesting. Seems like a smart way to go, actually.
    Break out a strawberry martini and celebrate a job well done

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
      Thanks for a GREAT review. I'm glad it went so well for you.
      I'd love to go see the atty's we interviewed in action. We haven't been able to figure out where they will be and when. Can't seem to find that info for NJ courts.
      Forensic CPA--- interesting. Seems like a smart way to go, actually.
      Break out a strawberry martini and celebrate a job well done
      Well I would break out the martinis except it's about 5:30 am, and I am having surgery in a few hours ... don't think it's a good idea at this time! Oh, prolly needs to be virgin strawberry martinis cause I really don't enjoy the taste of alcohol. But I will hoist a Pepsi Max in your honor and you have one for me, keep!

I used the US Bankruptcy Court website for the Western District of North Carolina, which has the court calender listed. It shows your case as well as the trustee, and also where you are on the docket. I checked your US BK court website for NJ and couldn't find it either. Maybe your attorney (if you have hired one yet) knows where to find the info in your district? Or someone here?

Well, as you say, I will keep on smilin, keep on truckin, keep on keepin on!

Comment

That was an awesome review! Very detailed, in-depth and made me chuckle in a few spots! I think it would be a great idea if I could drag my husband to a 341 meeting before hand. Thanks so much for posting this and I feel very comforted by how well your attorney handled things and by how professional he was compared to the other attorneys who were present. I'll bet the really expensive attorney I originally felt I "had" to go with was the one kicked back in his chair with a wrinkled shirt on! lol Because he has a very confident, cavalier attitude kind of bored attitude about the whole thing after doing it for 30 years. Or it could have been his new associate I had been handed off to, the casual one that probably looked like she was supoosed to be attending a college class instead of 341.

So thanks again and Congratulations!

Comment

SS so sorry i missed this post!!!

first congrats on a job well done!!!!
          secondly, welcome to the 90 club!!!

and thirdly, it sure does pay to get a GREAT atty doesn't it. we had a very similar experience with the firm we used and we were very prepared.

LOL!!!!!!!! too funny...about the baby. i'm sure if you had known, you could have borrowed one

congrats again!!!
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Oh Su I missed it, too! CONGRATS!!! Yay I am so happy for you!!!
            ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
            Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Congrats!
              "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Thanks, Butterfly, Tobee, VY, and Freddie! Now I just hope all goes smoothly till discharge! And Tobee ... I was thinking of running out to the street and renting a kid! Butterfly, I am sure you picked a good attorney, and if not, I can recommend one, lol

Comment

Originally posted by StrawberrySu View Post
                  Thanks, Butterfly, Tobee, VY, and Freddie! Now I just hope all goes smoothly till discharge! And Tobee ... I was thinking of running out to the street and renting a kid! Butterfly, I am sure you picked a good attorney, and if not, I can recommend one, lol
                  LOL!!! a NEW business RENT A BABY for your 341!!!!! could be profitable!
                  8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Tooo funny. tobee
                    I missed this too ...strawberry. I hardly ever come down here to the 341 threads.
                    So glad it is over for you. It's been a long haul .
                    How are you doin???
                    filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
                    "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

Originally posted by oregonpilot View Post
                      Tooo funny. tobee
                      I missed this too ...strawberry. I hardly ever come down here to the 341 threads.
                      So glad it is over for you. It's been a long haul .
                      How are you doin???
                      OP (oregonpilot, not Other Poster, lol), thanks for coming down to the 341 thread! I figured everyone used the new post button like I do, no wonder I haven't had the comments I kind of expected! I thought it needed to be put in the 341 thread, now I am wishing I had put it in the Chapter 7 thread. I am doing great, I just have alot of people around me (family and friends) who are not doing so great, so I feel kinda guilty. It is pretty sad to think I am in bankruptcy and doing better (emotionally and financially) than many I know.

Comment

It is pretty sad to think I am in bankruptcy and doing better (emotionally and financially) than many I know.
                        How funny, Su - I just told my husband this same thing yesterday (except I got to use the past tense about our BK). You will be able to do that soon!! Yay!
                        ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                        Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

OP (oregonpilot, not Other Poster, lol), thanks for coming down to the 341 thread! I figured everyone used the new post button like I do, no wonder I haven't had the comments I kind of expected! I thought it needed to be put in the 341 thread, now I am wishing I had put it in the Chapter 7 thread. I am doing great, I just have alot of people around me (family and friends) who are not doing so great, so I feel kinda guilty. It is pretty sad to think I am in bankruptcy and doing better (emotionally and financially) than many I know.
                          There's a NEW post button????? I'm bad
                          Glad you are doin great.....Great is good!!!

Comment

Oregonpilot, the tab is right under the Forum tab (unless you were just being facetious ). I was always stressing out about missing something important when I first started here, and would go through so many threads that I had already read. Then I discovered the new posts tab, and even if I am away for a whole day or two, I can catch up!

Comment

Oregonpilot, the tab is right under the Forum tab (unless you were just being facetious ). I was always stressing out about missing something important when I first started here, and would go through so many threads that I had already read. Then I discovered the new posts tab, and even if I am away for a whole day or two, I can catch up!
                              OOOKKK i never even noticed it up there. Duhhhh almost 2 yrs on here. I am always doin the same thing rereading stuff i had already read. looking for highlighted threads that i hadn't opened yet.
                              That button must have been put on there just since i was on here last....5 minutes ago.!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X