Discharged!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discharged!!!!

It took a total of 5 years and 6 months from start to finish but I did it. It stared with a my wife of 17 years deciding she needed a fresh start (divorce) and dove tailed into oh we will have to declare bankruptcy too. Looking back I am not sure how in the world I kept my sanity but for my kids sake I held it together, talked to as many smart people as I could and prayed that I had made the right decisions. I fought to keep the house and succeeded. At the time I filed the chapter 13 the house was under water but with a lien strip and some time I gambled that in 5 years it would return to a good investment. I was right. I owe $230,000 but it appraises now at $320,000. I own my car though at 225,000 miles it is on its last leg.
    The best advice I can give you good folks that are still in their 13's?
    1. Budget and be frugal
    2. learn to cook,
    3. cut the cable cord (after you declare it on you BK schedule J),
    4. exercise!!!! you can do it for cheep but also can declare a gym membership on you schedule J as "Dr. recommended"
    5. stay connect to people on this forum for support or find a support group locally, it really does make a difference
    6. you don't have to have money to enjoy life (the best things are usually free)
    7. save save save (3 months prior to declaring i s

Congrats on winning your battle. Thanks for sharing your story. At least now you can focus on something else like car or family desires.
    11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

cont.....

The best advice I can give you good folks that are still in their 13's or just starting the process?

1. Budget and be frugal
      2. learn to cook, enjoy the benefits of your free local library
      3. cut the cable cord (after you declare it on you schedule J),
      4. exercise!!!! you can do it for cheap but also can declare a gym membership on you schedule J as "Dr. recommended"
      5. stay connected to people on this forum for support or find a support group locally, it really does make a difference
      6. you don't have to have money to enjoy life (the best things are usually free)
      7. save save save (3 months prior to declaring i stopped paying CC bills that were going to be included, i socked that CASH away, and saved every penny (literally) for a much needed rainy day fund, and thank God as it came in handy a few times over the years. - car repairs, air conditioning failed (twice), garage door stopped working - i actually opened my door by hand for two years until i saved enough to get a new one - maybe a first world problem but I really love and appreciate my garage door now
      8. learn to be grateful for what you have (your health - because you exercise, right?!?)
      9. Hunker down and stay the course - this maybe the hardest thing to do
      10. "This too shall pass" - nothing in life is permanent - all material conditions, positive or negative, are temporary.

i will do my best to keep coming back because as one "chapter" ends, another begins. Rebuild my credit!!

Sophieanne, LadyInRed and others on this forum, thank you for your support. It is much appreciated and I will do my best to pay it forward

BC216

Comment

bobcat216 Congratulations!!!!!!! The discharge has finally arrived!!! I am so happy for you (and I've been waiting to read this).
        You are right this room and the many wonderful people in it make a big difference because we all understand what each other is going through.

I love the list of advice you gave...it is so right on!!!! If people would just try what you've written they would find out that it's really not so bad. BK is a great
        opportunity for a fresh start, but it doesn't come free...you have to work at it to make things happen After our plan ended we power washed the house and painted the
        deck. People may say wow what a splurge (sarcastic), but to me it was a big deal. We had the money, we didn't have to put it on credit and best of all still
        have money in the bank. Whether it's the garage door opener or a clean house, you're right, it's the little things we take for granted that we really learn to appreciate.
        Your note came on a perfect day and again I'm so happy for you . Celebrate and enjoy your new freedom. Also congrats on the equity in your mortgage,
        you worked hard and you deserve it!!!!
        Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
        Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Congrats! GreAt list of advise!!
          Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

Yipee!

Comment

You are an inspiration and thank you. Congrats on your discharge. I am still in the process. Had my 341 meeting a few weeks ago and I hope my payment plan is approved so I am new at this but I believe I will be okay. God Bless!

Comment

Congratulations bobcat216 !

Those are great tips for getting through a Chap 13.

I also stripped my second mortgage and now have significant equity in my home. Feels good!
                LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I hated having to file but looking back it might have been the best thing financially.

Comment

Originally posted by bobcat216 View Post
                    I hated having to file but looking back it might have been the best thing financially.
                    I agree!

Comment

• spidge
                      spidge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree that I should have filed back in 1999 rather than 2010. If I would have filed in 1999 I would have likely been able to keep a house a realy liked in south Orange County rather than a fixer in the Hell of the Inland Empire.

4 1/2 years into a 100% 13 plan - there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for posting the excellent advice for others and congrats on completing your plan.
                    Stopped CC payments May 2010. Stopped mortgage payments Oct 2011. Filed 13 Oct 2011, Plan confirmed July 2012. Trustee required surrender of second home. Foreclosure sale completed May 2013. Now almost 2 yrs into the 5 yr plan payments

Comment

LOL ... my story is almost exactly like yours! Hubby of 20 years decided to "move on". I got the house (and the kids) but then real estate bubble burst and all my equity was gone, the interest rate reset and I couldn't refinance because my credit was ruined from the divorce ...and we had a HELOC too so giving up the house would have left me still in debt. Woke up one day thinking "be brave, and great forces will come to your aid." Filed chapter 13 on Valentine's Day ... haha, my gift to me! Almost 6 years later, my truck has 250K miles on it. But the HELOC lien was stripped, equity is returning, and I'm just waiting for the judge's signature on the discharge. Almost time to Celebrate! Nice when a plan comes together. Here's to a new life in mid-life. Yay!

Comment

Case Closed!!!!

Just to update -
                        1. I checked to today and my case is officially closed 10/24/16 - that took 30 days from my official discharge
                        2. I have not budged on getting a CC yet as I was hoping that getting the case officially closed would assist (looking at a Cap One card to start credit rebuild)
                        3. I have USAA bank and insurance and since my BK started I have been persona non grata with USAA - I only have access to their mobile site, which is better than nothing. I tried to get them to lift my "ban" but was told it will take another 2 years. I really do not want to look for another bank but I just might have to.
                        4. I might try the local credit union for a pre paid card and see what banking options I have. I may start posting in the rebuild area as it is more pertinent to my current financial station.

PS I hope everyone is doing well (Sophie, DMC, Mark, Ella)

Comment

bobcat216 Congradulations again!! It feels great to know it's all done!!! I'm doing great. Have spent the last month cleaning up credit reports and that has turned out to be well worth the effort (errors have been corrected abd credut scores have actually gone up). Good luck with the bank search, why they are so difficult when everything is done and over is beyond me. I was very lucky, never had any access taken away. I'll be looking for your posts in the rebuild area (i'll probably write some too)..chapter 2..back to life!!!!! Good luck as we continue!
                          Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
                          Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

sophieanne can i bother you to ask what on your CR were incorrect? I look at mine all the time but not sure what to change as most say included in chapter 13 payment plan. Can that be changed to just "closed"?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X