Just getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just getting started

I live in central North Carolina and I'm for month into a chapter 13 and going to need some support to get through the next 54 months. I've seen some post of people who have completed the plan and feel a little encouraged that there is light at the end of the tunnel and its not attached to a train.

I just hit the 4 year un mark. There are times it crawls and times it flies! The best advice I can give is to stay busy doing free and really inexpensive things and dont watch the calendar! Good luck. You found a great resource here.
    Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

I'm almost one year in - it's not easy, but our financial life is considerably better than a year ago. We're learning to live on a budget and trying to save what we can (that's not easy in a 13, but decided that even a few dollars each pay is better then no dollars.) I wish you the best as you start out. This group has an amazing amount of knowledge & it's inspiring to see the "discharged" posts!

Comment

Encouragement from a fellow Tarheel. Filed in the middle district and had an excellent plan, not to mention a hands-off trustee that made for a relatively smooth 5 years. First year was the hardest, as I am sure it is for most. Not saying there weren't "bumps" in the road but when I hit one at least we were prepared. My suggestion is to save where you can. Developing good financial habits thru the term of the 13 will set you up for success at the end.

All the best.
        Filed 11/10/08

Discharged 2/18/14

Comment

I just got an email a few days ago from the NDC congratulating me on making through the first year of my Chapter 13. It kinda brightened my day a bit. Like everyone else has said it's not easy but we're learning to live on a budget and we're actually saving a little here and there. It's kinda nice to pay cash and not have to worry about 5 different credit card bills. Good Luck, just take it one day at a time and you'll get there.

Comment

Did anyone get a secured credit card while in the chapter 13? A $250 credit limit is what I was thinking about. Just to use to get a hotel room or rent a car in the future.

Comment

I must say that I did, but I don't believe that I was "allowed" to do so I suppose I justified it because it was secured by money and I really didn't have "credit" extended to me. The bankruptcy rules dictate that you are not allowed to obtain new credit without permission. I needed the card for work related travel.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I am so grateful for bankruptcy! We are almost 4 years into it. It has gone by fast. We have been able to save a little and I dig ourselves out of a hole. I was able to get a credit one visa/ mastercard and a Barclays card. We use them mostly for online purchases and to keep in case wee need to rent a hotel room or car. Didn't get permission, just applied for them.

Comment

Ending year three very soon with two more to go. So far so good.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X