Almost there but maybe not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost there but maybe not

I can't believe I just found this forum!

My husband and I are in our 53rd month of what is supposed to be a 59 month case. As you all can commiserate, it's been a long road. So in February when I logged into NDC and saw that our status had changed to "CASE ABOUT TO CLOSE", I got super excited, especially since I knew in March I would be receiving a (net) $12,000 bonus. After calculating all that was left to be paid (only have unsecured debt at this point). That bonus would cover it.

In March when I received the bonus, I immediately sent it to our trustee and contacted our attorney (Edit: I contacted our attorney before sending the bonus check). He said, it sounded like we were at the end. Yay for us, right?!? Well... a week later, I received a copy of an "Attorney's application for compensation" in the mail for $2,500, with a court date in May!!! Okay, so more waiting. In the meantime, we're still paying our monthly dues.

Our trustee does all disbursements on the last business day of the month so I was anxiously awaiting an update at the end of March. But no disbursements have been made to date. Our Balance on Hand is just shy of $15,000.

Today, I logged in to NDC and saw that our Percentage Paid to unsecured jumped from 18.10% to 24.93%. At the original percentage we had about $6,000 left to pay (including the newly acquired attorney fees) but now we suddenly owe $13,500!

I don't get how they can change the payout at this point in the case.

I'm hoping someone here can help me make sense of it without me having to contact our attorney. We've paid him $14,000 for not much of anything, just initial filing, a couple of modifications and a letter of direction for our auto insurance when my husband's car was totaled in January.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Thanks!!

Last edited by redwood311; 04-26-2017, 02:57 PM.

Wow!!! If you were in a 100% payback plan you could've sent in the outstanding balance and paid it off. If you were in a plan that was paying back less than 100% (which you showed in your note), the money you sent has now going to be distributed to your creditors and you still owe. Your percentage to creditors has now increased. Have you talked to your attorney about this?
    I don't even know if there is anything that can be done to change what has happned. Did you ask the attorney before you sent the money? By reviewing your note aain, it lools like you sent the trustee the note than spoke to your attorney.
    I'm sure a moderator can respond to this note.
    Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
    Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

I had spoken with the attorney about it before I sent it. Our plan included an expected $8,000 annual bonus. Because it was more, I specifically asked our attorney if it would help us get out early and he assured us that it would and that we should send the full bonus.

If I had known this would have happened, I would have only sent the $8,000.

Comment

I went ahead and emailed my attorney the following question:
        "I saw on the NDC website that our unsecured payment percentage jumped from 18.10% to 24.93%. Changing our principle owed total from $5,891.71 to $13,332.07. Why did that happen? I thought after the 3 year mark they wouldn't take more than what was in the plan?"

His response was:
        "The two options I can think of is the bonus payment you sent in last month and/or because they are working on a final audit of your case. Maybe they are updating the figure based on the amount that they have paid in your case/expect to have paid in your case prior to your discharge.

I can’t guarantee either of those, but, those are my two best guesses. As far as making you pay more, they can’t. We do not think that is what is happening in your case, but we need to wait and see what happens in the next couple of months"

Comment

I checked NDC this morning and we've been updated to "Complete"! I don't even care that they took more than expected! I'm just so happy to be nearing the end of this journey!

Comment

Awesome redwood311!!!
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Congratulation! I'm very happy that worked out for you! You never know, you MIGHT get a refund. Like you said, the past thing is that you're done! I'm very happy for you.
              Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
              Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X