top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So close, so nervous, why do I do this to myself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So close, so nervous, why do I do this to myself?

I've posted a couple of recent posts but I'll recap. I had a change of income which gave me a DMI of $2115. So on 4/11/17 we put in amended I+J schedules + a mod to accelerate the C13 plan by 3-4 months just so I could be done with all of this and get back to normal life.

The lawyer said the trustee has 28 days to object to the plan (my modified plan is paying 100% of my balance, which is only about 6k), and it's 3 days away from the confirmation hearing and no objections have been filed. In fact the judge on 4/12/17 signed my amended wage order for the new amount and my employer deducted last pay period in which the trustee accepted the payment and distributed.

I had to go out of town this week for work, but while I was on the plane it's like all logic dropped out of my head and I am worrying about the hearing (I was not told that I needed to show up and never received a summons) on Thursday, thinking that there will be a snag or objection. It should be noted that my case status on NDC changed the day of the mod submittal from "Active" to "About To Close". My attorney said that the trustee is pretty hands off and 99% sure the mod will be confirmed since I'm at 100% and my balance is so low. I've dotted my i's and crossed my t's and made sure everything is correct. Yet I sit here worrying that something is going to go wrong.

Bankruptcy has probably been the most nerve wracking and stressful situation I've ever experienced in my life and after 5 years of it, I'm just ready to be discharged and be done with all this stuff. I'm happy that I'm able to pay 100% back to my creditors and that I will most likely be receiving a discharge soon. But for some reason I'm just worried that the trustee will object to the plan (which makes no sense since I'm so close to discharge and I'm paying 100%).

I'm running all these really really stupid scenarios in my head from the trustee objecting to my expenses not being in line with what he wants to see (my food cost and transportation cost went up since my last mod/amendment) to the FBI knocking on my door for being off by a few dollars on my expenses.

Am I the only one who goes through these irrational thoughts? I mean in normal every day life I'm calm, collected, and rational. But when it comes to the bankruptcy case I'm anxious and at times paranoid (to the point where I thought the FBI was going to bust down my door for filing late amendments). In my logical mind I know there is nothing to fear and if there was a potential issue with my case my attorney would have pointed it out. In fact he's said that I'm in a really good position right now and my case has no red flags. I pay the guy to worry for me, yet i have a hard time letting go of these irrational thoughts.

Just wondering if anyone else is going through a C13 and having anxiety issues or extreme worrying even though you're doing everything right. If so what have you done to mitigate these feelings?

Sorry for the rant, I think I just need a slap on the back of the neck and someone to tell me "shut up already".

When you're so close to the finish line it is perfectly normal to be nervous about being "judged" just seconds before crossing the line. I would not worry about this. This is entirely routine work for your attorney, the Trustee, and the judge.

Simply, do not overthink this.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I understand. We are just at the very beginning (should be getting my first call from a creditor any day now) and I am probably overthinking everything. I do deal with some anxiety in everyday life, but this is different. This is literally the first time in my adult life where I feel like I'm going to be "in trouble" for something, the first time I've had to worry about "red flags" ... And to be honest, the first time I have not been in complete control of our outcome. It is scary. I think these feelings are normal for anyone in our situation.

It sounds like yours will be over very soon, and you will get to move on and rebuild. Hang in there, but by all means -- if you feel this interferes with your ability to handle daily life, just know that there are counselors & medication, exercise & self-help books, lots of things you can do to help mitigate the feelings of anxiety. Don't be afraid to seek them out.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
        When you're so close to the finish line it is perfectly normal to be nervous about being "judged" just seconds before crossing the line. I would not worry about this. This is entirely routine work for your attorney, the Trustee, and the judge.

Simply, do not overthink this.
        I know you are right and I should not overthink this whatsoever. We filed the mod/amendments on 4/11/17. If the trustee was going to bark about something it would have happened by now I would assume.

I'm going to take a second job mid may which will give me the money to pay off the 5-6k balance in one swoop so I'm seriously considering doing that since my attorney said it's an option if I choose.

I think the thing that had me concerned this morning was the hearing this Thursday. I've had several hearings for multiple mods over the years and also my initial confirmation hearing. I've never been told to show up to them, and my attorney didn't inform me of having to show up nor did I receive a summons.

You're right, this is all routine for the attorney, trustee, and judge. Considering how little I have to pay off, being at 100%, and already making modified payments ahead of the confirmation I think Im in good shape.

I think I need a beer

Thanks for chiming in and bringing me back down to earth (yet again).

Comment

Originally posted by Chrysalis View Post
          I understand. We are just at the very beginning (should be getting my first call from a creditor any day now) and I am probably overthinking everything. I do deal with some anxiety in everyday life, but this is different. This is literally the first time in my adult life where I feel like I'm going to be "in trouble" for something, the first time I've had to worry about "red flags" ... And to be honest, the first time I have not been in complete control of our outcome. It is scary. I think these feelings are normal for anyone in our situation.

It sounds like yours will be over very soon, and you will get to move on and rebuild. Hang in there, but by all means -- if you feel this interferes with your ability to handle daily life, just know that there are counselors & medication, exercise & self-help books, lots of things you can do to help mitigate the feelings of anxiety. Don't be afraid to seek them out.
          This sounds like me in 2012 when I filed. While I do not suffer from anxiety in my everyday life, certain situations (mainly the bk process) has done nothing but stress me out. And it's totally my fault. I've had so many issues with my case from bad lawyers to errors on amendments and the judge and trustee never objected or raised an issue. So why should this be any different?

Like you, I enjoy having some semblance of control over things and the bankruptcy process is the first time in my life where I have very little control of the outcome so it's scary.

I don't think I'm to the point of needing medication, but I do have a counselor and have made an appointment to talk through my emotions with her.

Thanks for chiming in and for listening.

Comment

Lol, yeah, beer. That is always an option!

You're SO close. Congrats!

Comment

Dont worry; eveything will be fine. I was the same way, every detail that came up during the case caused me anxiety even though there was no reason I think it's because we've surrendered our finances to someone else and am afraid of the "what ifs". We paid our case off 7 months early, that caused me major anxiety, what if the trustee doesn't like this,, what if it isn't enough, etc.
              Everytthing works out. Now just relax, you are so incredibly close; it'll be ok.
              Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
              Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Originally posted by sophieanne View Post
                Dont worry; eveything will be fine. I was the same way, every detail that came up during the case caused me anxiety even though there was no reason I think it's because we've surrendered our finances to someone else and am afraid of the "what ifs". We paid our case off 7 months early, that caused me major anxiety, what if the trustee doesn't like this,, what if it isn't enough, etc.
                Everytthing works out. Now just relax, you are so incredibly close; it'll be ok.
                You're right, I've done nothing wrong but dealing with the US BK courts can be intimidating. In 5 years my trustee has contacted me 0 times and has made 0 objections to any mod I made. Plus in 2016 I had a DMI of 4K, filed the amended schedules and he didn't blink an eye in forcing a mod and let me continue at 70%

I just need to let it go and wait for the mod confirmation this Thursday. If there are issues, I'll just work with my lawyer to resolve, but it sounds like this is pretty much an open/shut case. I'm just turning anthills into mountains.

Congrats on your early discharge!
                Last edited by cz3ch; 05-08-2017, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Just got a friendly reminder (as friendly as a lawyer can be) regarding my mod confirmation hearing this Thursday. He confirmed I do not need to attend and he said he does not anticipate any objection from the trustee's office, but said he would call them prior to the hearing to see if they are wanting to object/oppose.

Time to just sit and wait.

Comment

Your note reinforces my belief that the trustee is not necessarily a bad person/buy. I had a few minor bumps along the way and my trustee always worked with us. I give my trustee a 10+. On Thursday you'll be writing about how happy you are and how the worry was for nothing
                    Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
                    Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Chapter 13 Trustees tend to have more favor than Chapter 7 Trustees. As my Chapter 13 Trustee said in our 341 Meeting, "I make no money unless you are successful!" Makes sense to me that, while they must ensure that you conform with the confirmed plan and that you are truly dedicating your DMI to paying back your creditors what you can (based on complex expense calculations), they do want you to succeed.

I have also witnessed several judges that bend over backwards for Chapter 13 debtors that try. As my favorite judge writes, "it is pay to play" and so long as you paid, she had your back. (This is in the Chapter 13 context.)
                      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by sophieanne View Post
                        Your note reinforces my belief that the trustee is not necessarily a bad person/buy. I had a few minor bumps along the way and my trustee always worked with us. I give my trustee a 10+. On Thursday you'll be writing about how happy you are and how the worry was for nothing
                        You're probably right. I will definitely update everyone Thursday. The attorney said he sees no red flags or reasons or objection, but he's still going to call the trustee directly to see if there's opposition and how to mitigate it. Finally my lawyer is on the ball, my case is closing in July so I'm one less person for him to have to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                          Chapter 13 Trustees tend to have more favor than Chapter 7 Trustees. As my Chapter 13 Trustee said in our 341 Meeting, "I make no money unless you are successful!" Makes sense to me that, while they must ensure that you conform with the confirmed plan and that you are truly dedicating your DMI to paying back your creditors what you can (based on complex expense calculations), they do want you to succeed.

I have also witnessed several judges that bend over backwards for Chapter 13 debtors that try. As my favorite judge writes, "it is pay to play" and so long as you paid, she had your back. (This is in the Chapter 13 context.)
                          I think you're right. In my 341 I didn't even meet the trustee, just one of his representatives. It was super easy yes, no, yes, no, blah blah blah. All honest answers. And in 5 years I've not heard anything from the trustee except for his bi-annual payment report which is normal. I think you're right in that they want us to succeed and that they only get paid if we pay.

As for my judge, I've never met the gentleman but he's actually allowed me to keep large amounts of DMI before (so has the trustee) according to my lawyer my judge is sympathetic to C13 debtors trying to build a nest egg and live comfortably. The only reason my lawyer suggested me dumping all my DMI at 100% on my own is because he knows how stressful the case has been for me and wants to see me discharged faster. So I just followed his lead instead of the trustee potentially forcing a mod of his own. We just beat him to the punch.

All in all, there's nothing I can do but sit and wait for confirmation of mod. So I'm just going to relax and try not to stress. Really appreciate everyone's support

Comment

Just heard from the lawyer who reached out to the trustee regarding my mod confirmation hearing tomorrow. The trustee is going to recommend the mod confirmation and the judge will sign off tomorrow. This takes the weight off of me, and I have 2.5 months worth of payments then BOOM. Done. So happy

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X