savings account in Chap 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

savings account in Chap 13

I've been in a Chapter 13 for about 2 and a half years. It is not a 100% plan. By being extremely frugal and the luck of my payment not being as high as I expected I've been able to save a good amount of money. I was thinking of getting a Cap One 360 savings account. I've realized based on the bonus they give and the interest I would acrue that next year I would get a tax form to pay tax on the interest. Since I have to give my tax returns to my trustee would this potentially cause a red flag that I have a savings account that I had interest acrue from? Would this possibly trigger an audit from the trustee? I could leave this money in my checking but I would definitely like to seperate it and earn some interest.

During four of the five years of my Chapter 13 I had a savings account which accrued enough interest to require a tax form. Even still, the amount if interest was so insignificant compared to the rest of my financial picture, the Trustee never once commented on it.

I'm not saying all Trustees will ignore it, but in my experience, a few dozen dollars, or even a few hundred dollars of interest is irrelevant.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Trustees usually don't care unless a.) your income increased over 10% (year-over-year), or b.) you miss payments. Other than that, the super-majority of Trustees do not scrutinize tax returns since they're using them, mostly, to determine if your income changed.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X