Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical Debt after filing

Hi Everyone!
    So our Chapter 13 is finally done and over with. Discharged, closed, hurray. We've been slowly getting used to the extra money back in our paycheck, and being very vigilant with our spending.

In today's mail, though, we received something I wasn't expecting...a collection letter. It is Revco Solutions claiming my husband owes nearly $800 to a local hospital. The debt is from September 2016 (we filed in August 2015). I remember the time in question, I had to rush my husband to the hospital due to a near stroke. We have a high deductible health plan through my employer, so we were dreading the medical bills. I even told my BK attorney about it, and that I was worried. He told me to wait until the bill came in, and if it was too much to handle separately (and the hospital wouldn't make payment arrangements) he'd work to get the debt included in our plan. We never got a bill, though. Any calls that came collecting debts, we'd direct to our attorney. So, I don't know if they messed up, the billing was delayed or someone collecting on behalf of the hospital did contact our attorney.

Do I just send a standard "validate the debt" letter or do I just work with them to lower the amount (the letter is one of those, "we'll lower the amount you owe to another amount if you work with us") and pay it off and be done with it?

They waited FIVE YEARS to send you a bill??? Outrageous. I don't have advice for you but I am very curious to know how this plays out. Please keep us updated.

Comment

they waited 5 years to send you a bill insane!!! the sol is 6 years in mich.

Comment

make them validate the debt!!!! they have to prove that you owe the debt!!

Comment

It's post-petition debt so you owe. They will wait for you to fail the 13 or wait the 5 years for you to succeed. The creditor wouldn't want to be part of the 13 unless it's a high payout plan. Better to wait it out. They can sue during or after the 13, but they cannot collect on the judgment until after the 13 because the automatic stay still applies to your wages and assets. Now that the 13 is over, they can try to come after you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X