No announcement yet.

Just Made the Payment... Three Payments Remaining of 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Zombie13, yeah, the double move thing is annoying, but doable. My main gig when I moved here to the horse farm in 2013 was a Senior IT Analyst doing classic "IT stuff"; this allowed me to get up at "Oh-Dark-Thirty" Monday through Wednesday, take care of the horses, and then get to the office for my daily 8:30 conference call. Things got a bit dicey in 2017 when my then boss "voluntold" me I was moving into a new space within the company, a space now commonly referred to as "Conversational AI"; I have to be honest here, my (then) 60-year old brain didn't learn "new tricks" as well as my then young and flexible brain did back in the late 1970s, and at first, I was seriously concerned I wasn't going to get my brain wrapped around a totally new way of thinking. Then in 2019, with the success of the architecture I'd built for that company, I started travelling; this meant other folks needed to cover for me for horse duty, and then during the weeks I was home I needed to pay them back; there were times when I needed to do 17 straight days taking care of the horses. Not fun.

As 2021 dawned, Conversational AI suddenly became a hot skillset to have, and my phone, E-Mail, and Linked-In account blew up; I literally turned down over 100 requests for interview between January and late March. I did let three recruiters get me on the phone, and the third one essentially offered me my dream job; the main wrinkle of course was being on the road every other week (still hasn't happened because of the COVID thing), and this in turn meant I needed to resign from my duties in the barn. When I first accepted the new job I offered to move; the 3-generation family which owns this farm and lives here in three different (and very nice) homes immediately asked if we could renegotiate our deal to keep us here; we were actually happy to have our rent double overnight just so we could stay. In the end though, they couldn't find coverage for the barn duties, and the biggest bargaining chip they had was our apartment; hence the fact we're moving. We've loved our time here, both working with the horses and hanging out with the two grandparents and the families of two of their three children, and of course their seven grandchildren (many of whom don't remember before we lived here).
    Latent car nut.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X