Over 2 months since application to discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Over 2 months since application to discharge

Hello, I completed my final payment after almost 5 long years. We got the final audit from the trustee in which all debts were paid. Then my attorney filed the application to discharge on March 25, along with my debtor course certificate. The court sent notice to creditors regarding my application to discharge on March 28 which said they have 14 days to object, if at all.

That was the last document filed to my case according to pacer court website, which has been 62 days.

What is the timeline for the court or judge’s response? Seems like it should have been updated already.

My attorney’s office was the most
    unhelpful and unresponsive group of people I’ve ever dealt with once our case was filed, so I’m sure they would not provide any update for me.
    Last edited by Cetra1; 05-19-2024, 10:43 PM.

You will receive your discharge when the court has the time to review everything. I have read that the Eastern District for California is notoriously slow. You can always call the Clerk of the Bankruptcy Court and ask. (The office of the Clerk of the Bankruptcy Court may be able to tell you if they are behind, or, in some instances, people have had the discharge entered right over the phone. Your mileage may vary.)
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thank you for the response. My case is under the Central court. My husband also had a case (separate) which we filed at the same time. He had a different judge also under Central court and received his discharge notice within 3-4 weeks after applying for discharge. That’s the only reason I was wondering what is going on with mine.

Comment

A call to the Clerk may cure that curiosity. It could have been missed or something is missing. The Clerk will usually let you know right over the phone.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

The office said “probably a few more weeks until it’s reviewed”. She said she has to review information and then send it to the judge. She said they have a full load of cases or whatever.

Comment

It's usually the Eastern District that is slow. Now the Central District is slow? I'm glad that you were able to get some information from the Clerk of the Bankruptcy Court and know that it's somewhere in the pile of things to be completed.

Comment

We are in southern California in the Inland Empire (east), so I don’t know if that is why. But they assigned our cases to the Central bankruptcy court. I believe the judge is also here in the IE based on their office area code. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

They probably did that because the Eastern District of California, which covers the "inland Empire," is notoriously overloaded with cases. They are renown for being very slow.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X