Would this be fraudulent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would this be fraudulent?

What if I enter into a chapter 13 at, obviously, the lowest monthly payment possible and "figure out a way" to come up with all of the money to pay it off at once? No, I would not be doing anything illegal to come up with the cash. I assume the Trustee would have a big problem with this, but I'm not sure? My guess is that I would be back in court in no time...I would come up with the cash from relatives and or my own retirement account (yes, I know about the tax penalties.)
    Thanks,
    Lefty
    Filed Ch 7 - January 29th, 2008
    341 - February 29th, 2008
    Discharge - June 20th, 2008
    Closed - October, 2008

Sorry Leftyf, you can't buy out under the new law.
    I used to have a life, now I have grandkids.

Comment

Originally posted by Granny View Post
      Sorry Leftyf, you can't buy out under the new law.
      Ditto, you cannot buy-out a plan. Once you file chapter 13, the only way to "buy-it-out" and receive a discharge is to pay 100% of the claims of creditors that get filed.

Comment

Originally posted by leftyf View Post
        What if I enter into a chapter 13 at, obviously, the lowest monthly payment possible and "figure out a way" to come up with all of the money to pay it off at once? No, I would not be doing anything illegal to come up with the cash. I assume the Trustee would have a big problem with this, but I'm not sure? My guess is that I would be back in court in no time...I would come up with the cash from relatives and or my own retirement account (yes, I know about the tax penalties.)
        The new bk law that went into effect Oct 05 confused Ch 13 early buyouts considerably because the new law doesn't include any language about how to do it like the old law did. The districts that do allow early buyouts now won't even consider it until after three years of on-time payments in a five-year plan, and after two years on on-time payments in a three-year plan.

If you are allowed to buy out of your Ch 13 early, after the appropriate number of years your lawyer contacts your trustee to get the exact payout figure. You will have to pay back all your creditors who filed claims 100% to get out early, even if your payback % is lower if you completed your plan as confirmed.
        Last edited by lrprn; 07-10-2007, 08:18 PM.
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Questions,

Why file bankrutpcy IF you INTEND to do a buy-out as quck as you can???
          Either borrowig money from friends, or using your 401K.....

What purpose would filing bankrutpcy fill??? Other than your credit being "trashed" for the next 3-7 years.....

If you intend on buy-out - after getting into a Chapter 13 - pay backs would be at 100% anyways......

So...... why not negotiate (can't spell) with your creditors on a settlement of account............ you may even only end up paying 75% of the balance to be free of the debt.....

Filing bankruptcy would protect you from "having to use" your 401k or retirement to pay these debts..... and they would be paid off under a Chapter 13 payment plan with the protection from the creditors thru the Bankruptcy Court.....

I don't understand you wanting to file bankruptcy and then turn around and use your retirement to pay them off quickly............... explain......

Minny
          Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Minny, I think what leftyf was thinking is that he would file chapter 13, and his disposible income is such that perhaps he would only pay 10% to unsecureds (or some low amount), lock that amount in to the chapter 13, and then buy out that lower amount and be discharged. But, unfortunately, he wont be able to do that.

But honestly, you couldn't even do that under the old law, let alone the new law. (even under the old law, most trustees wanted you to be in the plan for at least 6 months to a year).

It is kinda like a forced settlement, but the new law put a quash on the ability of a debtor to go this route.

Comment

Okay, I thought maybe that was what he was trying to do....... high hopes, but a "no-go" on that idea......
              Minny

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Exactly, I was hoping for the 10% payoff.
                Filed Ch 7 - January 29th, 2008
                341 - February 29th, 2008
                Discharge - June 20th, 2008
                Closed - October, 2008

Comment

Yeh, we all could "dream of that", huh.............. wishful thinking....... Life is NOT THAT KIND!!!
                  Minny

Comment

Why not just quit paying the CC, let them send a 1099 and pay the tax on the 1099. That's a cheap payout.
                    I used to have a life, now I have grandkids.

Comment

why not file the chapter 13 at the 10% payments and keep the retirement right where it is?
                      Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

If your retirement is in an ERISA Qualified Plan, it's protected in BK.

Personally, I'd wouldn't borrow from relatives to pay off CC debt. What if,..... Next week, next month, next year,......... You have a major personal need. Say medical. An injury. You get laid off and need money for rent. If you tap relatives now to pay CC's, they may not have the resources to help you later when you need it for a life necessity.

Old Law, you could pay off/buy out of your Ch 13. At the 36 month mark. New Law does not have verbage regarding early pay off. Since no Ch 13's have gotten to the 36 month mark under New Law, it's not yet known how that's gonna be handled.
                        Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                        Discharged - 12/2006
                        Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                        Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X