Anybody had medical bills that can't be paid while in a 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody had medical bills that can't be paid while in a 13

We are 18 payments away from being finished with our Chapter 13. Everything has been going fairly smooth, until a few weeks ago. My daughter plays soccer and was injured during a game. We rushed her to the ER, they took x-rays and because of the swelling in her knee, couldn't tell us anything so we were referred to an orthopedic doctor. We took her there, more x-rays and found that she had a torn ACL. They gave her a knee brace (which we now know was EXPENSIVE!!). We have insurance, but looks like we are still going to be responsible for most of these visits. We are still looking into why,because our insurance is supposed to cover all of it. If we are responsible, I don't know how we're to pay it. Has anyone been in this situation? I really don't want to ask for the trustee to help us, maybe skip a payment, unless we absolutely have to. Things have been going so well, I don't want to rock the boat. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, bills incurred after your filing are your responsibiilty. Most of us have gone through a large bill during a Chapter 13 and sometimes you just have to get creative to pay it. In your situation, your first step is to work with the place that will send you your bill for their services, advise them you are in Chapter 13 (provide proof if necessary) and could they work out a payment that you can afford? If they balk at that, do you have any close family/friends that can help you out temporarily with that money and you can pay them back later when you are better off? You can also check with your attorney to see if your Trustee would allow you to skip a payment or two and make it up at the end of your Plan. Next is selling some items you may have that could put a dent in the bill as a start.

You will get through it, believe me...just be proactive and creative and remember it's not the end of the world. What you might want to try to start doing is putting some cash away if you can on the side to have something to put towards any future occurrances of even a dishwasher breaking during the rest of your plan.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Thanks for the support. I have been trying to put some money back for 'a rainy day' but I know it's not going to be nearly enough. I should've known things were going too smooth. And on top of that, my husbands hours have been cut, gas prices are going through the roof, not to mention our grocery bill is rising every week. It's still not as bad as it was before our ch. 13. At least bills are getting paid and we aren't getting phone calls every day! I know things will work out. As my grandma used to say, "When it rains it pours!"

Comment

Originally posted by beachgirl View Post
        Thanks for the support. I have been trying to put some money back for 'a rainy day' but I know it's not going to be nearly enough. I should've known things were going too smooth. And on top of that, my husbands hours have been cut, gas prices are going through the roof, not to mention our grocery bill is rising every week. It's still not as bad as it was before our ch. 13. At least bills are getting paid and we aren't getting phone calls every day! I know things will work out. As my grandma used to say, "When it rains it pours!"
        Count your blessings even though times are tough...Gas and grocery prices are hitting everybody in the pocket unless your last name is Hilton!

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

be very assertive with your insurance company and don't depend on the doctor to file the claims! If you are suppose to be covered then make sure they pay. Sometimes the doctors offices don't do their job. Stay on top of it!
          Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X