forgotten debt ..now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forgotten debt ..now what?

ok.. i got a call from a collection department. they were calling in behalf of a medical bill that is owed. It was like 300 or so.. the message was hard to hear and no call back number or caller id was left. i looked on my credit report and did not find any medical bill listed, but they said it has been reported.
    I think this is a bill we paid long ago. I called the doctors we use and the hospital and cant get any answer abuot an unpaid bill. They called my house and left message for me so i know it was the right number.

question is.. i confirm at end of month and cant find debt. What do i do if it pops up later on my report? can i just pay it off if i have the $$$? do i have to let someone know about if i locate it ? its sounds small enough that i can get it paid with some savings effort.
    filed 13 07-31-08
    confirmed 10-28-08
    33 payments down 3 to go

Broke - Contact your attorney and advise him/her of this situation right away.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

ive been trying to reach tem but no luck. Can i just pay it later outside of my plan?
      filed 13 07-31-08
      confirmed 10-28-08
      33 payments down 3 to go

Comment

Originally posted by brokeNconfused View Post
        ive been trying to reach tem but no luck. Can i just pay it later outside of my plan?
        Do not pay any creditor (listed or not) without speaking to your Ch 13 lawyer first. If he/she won't return your calls, make an office appointment. If your lawyer has an email address, send your question about this situation that way as well.

Keep calling every single day until you get a return call.
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

thing is that i have no idea if its my debt. Dont know where to find out. It was not on my credit report when i pulled it in March. Nobody has been to doctors in a year. Will plan extend if i find it after confirmation.? what happens if i find it and just pay it?
          filed 13 07-31-08
          confirmed 10-28-08
          33 payments down 3 to go

Comment

thing is that i have no idea if its my debt. Dont know where to find out. It was not on my credit report when i pulled it in March. Nobody has been to doctors in a year.
            Send the creditor a registered, return receipt letter asking them to validate the debt. Read up here to understand debt validation and why it's important - http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebu...lidation.shtml

And here's an example of a debt validation letter you can customize to your situation - http://www.creditinfocenter.com/form...eletter9.shtml

Will plan extend if i find it after confirmation.? what happens if i find it and just pay it?
            If the creditor was not listed on your original credit matrix when you filed, then the creditor must be added (usually costs less than $30) and then is given a specified number of days (usually 30-60) to file a claim or not. This may delay your confirmation, but you'll be making payments to the trustee the entire time anyway.

Paying a debt you left off your matrix right after you filed Ch 13 may trigger your trustee to take a closer look to see whether it's considered a preferential payment and whether to go after it. This is why you need to talk to your lawyer before doing anything with this debt.
            I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
            06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
            07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
            10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
            01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
            09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
            06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
            08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
            Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

ok.. i got a call from a collection department. they were calling in behalf of a medical bill that is owed. It was like 300 or so.. the message was hard to hear and no call back number or caller id was left. i looked on my credit report and did not find any medical bill listed, but they said it has been reported.
              I think this is a bill we paid long ago. I called the doctors we use and the hospital and cant get any answer abuot an unpaid bill. They called my house and left message for me so i know it was the right number.

question is.. i confirm at end of month and cant find debt. What do i do if it pops up later on my report? can i just pay it off if i have the $$$? do i have to let someone know about if i locate it ? its sounds small enough that i can get it paid with some savings effort.
              I believe when a collection agency makes first contact with you, they have to follow up within 5 days with a letter telling what the bill is all about. It sounds like the phone call was a 'fishing expedition'.
              Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

well we got the bill about a year and a half ago. Thought we paid everything. We never got a collection notice. No litigation, nothing on credit report. Now i call around and nobody seems to know what im talking about. guess ill have to just stay on it until i find out whats going on.

If this turns up later does it screw up a 13? if i need to have it added then? I just cant find anyone i owe right now.
                filed 13 07-31-08
                confirmed 10-28-08
                33 payments down 3 to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X