Is this "normal"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this "normal"?

For the 4th time I have had to notify the lawyer's office of major errors in our Chap. 13 paperwork.

Such as wrong SS #'s, wrong income, missing or incorrect amounts, even spelling our last name wrong on some forms.

Does not give me a real warm cozy feeling here. If I knew I would have to continue to do all this work, why in the heck did I pay their firm?

This is NOT normal! Wrong SS#s, incorrect spelling of your last name. Not acceptable! I would definatly let them know how displeased I am with how they do business. One area you really want accuracy is a BK.

Comment

I tell you what, had I not paid their fee in full...I would go elsewhere. But at this point, who has a spare $ 1300- to throw to another lawyer?

I am so mad...I will make sure they know about this. This is not the first time we have had a problem with them either. Of course, they blamed a paralegal and fired that one.

Comment

We had the same type of problems with our attorney. Her overlooking a mortgage note and not listing it when we supplied her all the paperwork is what got us a Rule 2004(b) examination, and an extra $5000.00 we have to cough up to the trustee.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I had to review my paperwork more than once before my 341.
          And at that mtg I had to remind the attorney again that he was missing 3 major credit cards.
          I still won't believe this is over until it is O V E R
          CH 13 OLD LAW
          10/14/05
          Closed completed
          Final accounting 04/2009

Comment

Hi Debtslave, I'll be ready with the hamsters when you say it's DONE!
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by SwimminUpStream View Post
              For the 4th time I have had to notify the lawyer's office of major errors in our Chap. 13 paperwork.

Such as wrong SS #'s, wrong income, missing or incorrect amounts, even spelling our last name wrong on some forms.

Does not give me a real warm cozy feeling here. If I knew I would have to continue to do all this work, why in the heck did I pay their firm?
              Well, it's whoever input the information from the inforsmation provided to them. If it was handwritten, that could be the problem. However, there is no excuse for a lawfirm to make errors such as that. The assistant putting in the information from the forms is at fault. It is always best to mention that to the attorney as to those errors cause if it is a continuaing problem with other matters also, they need better help. Items such as SS numbers and account numbers need to be correct and you can expect a mistake now and then....that is why they give you the forms to review before filing and signing. As an example of how that works against a law firm/attorney, back in the 1970s before there were computers and word procesing, all letters and legal documents were typed by hand (remember white-out and correct-tape?). Well, if mistakes were made on a legal document, the entire page had to be retyped - no erasures or white-out was allowed. One day we received a letter in our office from a major law firm in the City. In the body of a letter was a sentence which read..."We plan to file a sh** on behalf of our client..." instead of the word "suit." I still remember that law firms name to this day. And the attorney signed the letter apparently without reading it.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I don't know if it's "normal" or even typical but when I met with the paralegal, she corrected a couple errors on the spot and reprinted the entire petition while I was still there.

ep
                California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

Originally posted by epiphany View Post
                  I don't know if it's "normal" or even typical but when I met with the paralegal, she corrected a couple errors on the spot and reprinted the entire petition while I was still there.

ep
                  Must be nice to use Best Case. Try us Pro Se filers who have to fill in forms or answer long series of prompts which then spit out the wrong thing anyway!

One day, in my Blog, I'll write about using those on-line services! I ended up using the service to do the bulk (Schedule 1 the Summary and D, E, and F)... but I did all the others by hand.

Even after complaining to the company, and having spent $200... they still hadn't corrected the numerous errors. Their guarantee was only that your documents would be accepted by the Court. Not that they would be accurate. Silly me!

I must say, I do LOVE Best Case. (Shhhh...)
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                  Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                    Must be nice to use Best Case. Try us Pro Se filers who have to fill in forms or answer long series of prompts which then spit out the wrong thing anyway!

One day, in my Blog, I'll write about using those on-line services! I ended up using the service to do the bulk (Schedule 1 the Summary and D, E, and F)... but I did all the others by hand.

Even after complaining to the company, and having spent $200... they still hadn't corrected the numerous errors. Their guarantee was only that your documents would be accepted by the Court. Not that they would be accurate. Silly me!

I must say, I do LOVE Best Case. (Shhhh...)
                    Okay, I'm not even sure what you are talking about when you say Best Case. But yeah, well, I'm guessing Best Case cost me a little bit more than pro se cost you. You get what you pay for.

ep
                    California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

Originally posted by epiphany View Post
                      Okay, I'm not even sure what you are talking about when you say Best Case. But yeah, well, I'm guessing Best Case cost me a little bit more than pro se cost you. You get what you pay for.
                      I was just ragging on the fact that many law offices use the Best Case software package to manage their Bankruptcy cases. It does all the schedules and filing for them. They just need to enter the information correctly. It (Best Case) will even submit the documents to PACER (CM/ECF) system for them!

Don't mind the pro se filer chiming in from time to time. We tend to babble.
                      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X