One More Question: Mandatory Classes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One More Question: Mandatory Classes?

If filing ch13, do you have to do the credit counseling & debt management classes that are required with a ch 7?

Yes

Comment

can they be done online?

Comment

Sure,

Go to this link, and use this only, do not try and google it instead.

Select your state, and it will give you a list, then go to their website.

Shop around, some are way cheaper than others, just research it.

Comment

Also some lawyers include the cost of the pre-filing and post-filing required courses in their retainer fees.

As Optimistic noted, you must be absolutely certain that whatever course provider agency you choose is on the lists approved by your state.

You can find the approved pre-filing credit counseling course agencies list at http://www.usdoj.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/ccde/cc_approved.htm

The approved post-filing personal financial management (debtor education) course agencies list is at http://www.usdoj.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/ccde/de_approved.htm
          I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
          06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
          07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
          10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
          01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
          09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
          06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
          08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
          Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

our lawyer gave us info of who to use and they automatically emailed him the cert of completion. it was simple

Filed July 09
            Confirmation - June 2010
            Final Payment - June 2014 - 7/2/14 DISCHARGED

Comment

right, thats what mine did, they printed out a sheet with multiple choices of online providers.

Comment

I got this site from somebody on this forum. It is COMPLETELY online and FREE!

The purpose of ConsumerBankruptcyCounseling.info is to provides fast, free and readily understandable bankruptcy counseling.

It is only good for California, but I see that it fits for you.

Comment

I found the post-petition (pre-discharge) Debtor education, complete and utterly useless for me. It was so repetitive on absolutely everything I already know. However, it is required, so I had to spend the 3 hours doing it. Took me about 3 hours over the course of 2 consecutive evenings. Just received my certificate this week via e-mail, and promptly placed it in the mail.

Totally useless if you ask me. I'm sure it's good for many people, but I already understood the materials. I even found mistakes in the material (spelling errors, wrong use of a word, like "except" vs "accept") which turned me off. Not that I'm some expert linguist or anything.

I'm also a speed reader, and they stated you must spend at least 9 seconds on each "slide" in the course. Well, one slide contained approximately 4 words. I read the slide in 0.5 seconds. After getting through a whole section, I had to go back and "read" that slide for 9 whole seconds. Really dumb stuff. Also, I scored 100% on the quizzes. Just boring.

Okay, I guess you now know that I wasn't happy taking this dumb course because Congress thinks we all need "debtor" education, so they have TWO classes.
                  Last edited by justbroke; 07-24-2009, 10:16 PM.
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                  Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

We are ch 7 but we also had problems with the 2nd class. We called after completion and were told to call back again later since we got through it too quickly. Had to pretend it took longer.
                    Ch 7 Filed: 4/27/09
                    341 Meeting: 6/11/09

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                      I found the post-petition (pre-discharge) Debtor education, complete and utterly useless for me. It was so repetitive on absolutely everything I already know. However, it is required, so I had to spend the 3 hours doing it. Took me about 3 hours over the course of 2 consecutive evenings. Just received my certificate this week via e-mail, and promptly placed it in the mail.

Totally useless if you ask me. I'm sure it's good for many people, but I already understood the materials. I even found mistakes in the material (spelling errors, wrong use of a word, like "except" vs "accept") which turned me off. Not that I'm some expert linguist or anything.

I'm also a speed reader, and they stated you must spend at least 9 seconds on each "slide" in the course. Well, one slide contained approximately 4 words. I read the slide in 0.5 seconds. After getting through a whole section, I had to go back and "read" that slide for 9 whole seconds. Really dumb stuff. Also, I scored 100% on the quizzes. Just boring.

Okay, I guess you now know that I wasn't happy taking this dumb course because Congress thinks we all need "debtor" education, so they have TWO classes.
                      I thought the pre-bk info was useless to be honest. I mean really...your trying to tell me about debt management now? did you really not think that being in bk was the last resort
                      its funny that Congress thought this would be helpful

Filed July 09
                      Confirmation - June 2010
                      Final Payment - June 2014 - 7/2/14 DISCHARGED

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X