Very lost and need someone to talk to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very lost and need someone to talk to

I have read the articles available on this site, which is why I am even more confused than I already was. Based on what I have read, our attorney is being more strict than she should be. I just need someone to tell me if this is how the system really works, or if there is something seriously wrong here.

We decided to file chapter 13 and met with the attorney a few weeks back. We gave an approximate detail of our monthly expenses from a worksheet they asked us to fill out. We met several times providing required documentation. Based on the information requested we were put on a 100% payback plan for 40 months. The monthly figure is actually more than we pay to credit cards currently. They took 100% of our income not documented by the worksheets as disposable income. The attorney became agitated with us when we began asking if certain monthly expenses could be deducted such as educational expenses. She said that we never told her about those expenses, but we never knew we were supposed to. She handed us a piece of paper and told us to write down everything that we spend each month. She doubted that they would be considered, but she said she would try. It would be up to us to prove to the trustee that these are actually valid expenses, but chances are they would be considered a luxury.

As it is right now, if we end up having an electric bill increase, we will not be able to pay it since it was not accounted for in our initial expense worksheet. If my child gets sick, I cannot pay the doctor, because we did not plan for that expense prior to filing. She said that our estimated expense of $70 a month for car maintenance is too high, but our car has almost 100 thousand miles on it. We put more into that each year to keep it going. What happens if we have to replace something that will cost more? What happens if our property taxes go up, or our medical premiums go up?

We expect to be on a strict budget, but isn't there some sort of cushion in case of an unforeseen emergency?

We expected our attorney to help us through the process since we have no idea what we are doing. Isn't it the attorney's job to tell us what can and cannot be deducted? We are being told that everything else is a luxury and cannot be considered. They did not even deduct our FSA as a monthly expense and now want us to prove the FSA is legitimate. If the federal gov't considers it legit, shouldn't our trustee?

Help!

Time to look for a new attorney.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

That's not good. If your attorney gets agitated with you when you ask legitimate questions, you need to find another attorney. If you knew the answers to the questions, you wouldn't need an attorney. PM me your location and I'll see if I know of any attorneys in your area.
      Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
        Time to look for a new attorney.
        I second that.
        I am a Pennsylvania Eastern and Middle District Bankruptcy, FDCPA, FCRA and Foreclosure Defense attorney, information I post is based on experience in these districts. It is not legal counsel, consider it friendly counsel.

Comment

Originally posted by jergen View Post
          She said that our estimated expense of $70 a month for car maintenance is too high, but our car has almost 100 thousand miles on it. We put more into that each year to keep it going.
          I just want to add that most Districts, where a car is over 75,000 miles or 5 years in age, you get a $200/month expense for maintenance. Everyone knows an older car with lots of miles... costs more to run. Do you own the car outright?

Originally posted by JimKutkowski
          I second that.
          Hey Jim!
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Did you retain this attorney and provide a deposit/fee? If not, time for a few more consultations...call your State Bar Association (look in your phone book under the "state" section) and ask them for BK attorneys in your area. Most, as you know, give free initial consultations. Call and get some appointments. Put together a COMPLETE listing of all your debts, monthly payments, sources of income, paystubs, listing of assets and your most recent federal and state tax returns. If you are uncomfortable with this attorney, go elsewhere. If you have retained this attorney, review the retention letter copy provided to you in the event you want to change attorneys and what would be required to do so.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I can't think of a reason this can't be spread out into 60 months either. That would lower your payment by 1/3
              I am a Pennsylvania Eastern and Middle District Bankruptcy, FDCPA, FCRA and Foreclosure Defense attorney, information I post is based on experience in these districts. It is not legal counsel, consider it friendly counsel.

Comment

Your attorney works FOR YOU - - remind them of that.

There is no reason to be intimidated by an attorney, they are no better then you. Tell them you expect them to fight for you and not just put through a plan that is quick to approve with little effort on their part.

I challenge and ask mine to show me where in the law it says XX all the time, what it comes down to is he doesn't want to do any extra work and expected me to accept it as "I know more than you" which is true in some instances but pure BS in others. I actually have 2 attorneys doing the same thing for me right now - - it helps keep them honest and balanced. Neither knows about the other, I paid one a large amount so far but most likely will have to lose that and go with the other anyway but at least I know I'll get it done right.
                19% dividend

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X