Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On line 9. of Schedule J

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been addressed - I am really confused. On Line 9 of Schedule J - Recreation, clubs and entertainment, newspapers, magazines, etc. - what is reasonable expense?

My attorney has said ZERO in that line for a Chapter 13. She said it will raise questions. I live in Pennsylvania. I was thinking around $150 - we do belong to several military veteran's clubs, would still like to buy grandchildren gifts every now and then, maybe even go out for dinner once a month? Those aren't allowed in a Chapter 13?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello. I live in PA also... My lawyer entered $ 150 and it went thru with no problems. I think that is a reasonable amount...
    Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
    Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
    Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

Thanks so much. Did you list anything on line 17? We both smoke (yea, I know bad habit)... $50.00 a week - $430.00 a month. Too high? But that is an expense that can be proven.

Comment

No I didnt add my bad habit because if I have no money for them I may be forced to give them up ... The bad part about that scenario is I would rather smoke then eat sometimes !!!! Also, since everyone seems to be on the bandwagon to send all the smokers to a special island I figure my luck would be that the trustee will be one of those people I quit before for 20 yrs so I know I can do it again when I am ready and this is all said & done.... I did have in my pet care $ 50 mth, haircuts & personal items $ 85.00 mth, entertainment $ 120 a mth ... Sometimes I sit and think about all the stuff I spend my money on and realize why I have none ..Its the stupid stuff that can really add up...
        Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
        Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
        Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

Thanks again for the advise. Sometimes I seem to be at the end of my rope.

Comment

Originally posted by waitinggame View Post
            Thanks again for the advise. Sometimes I seem to be at the end of my rope.
            Feeeling like being at the end of your rope is a common feeling here when you start out. But stay with the forum as you will travel along from one tier to the next until it is all over. I am doing that now, and it is rough for me mentally and emotionally. But some say to take the emotional thing out of the mix because this is to be seen like a business deal gone sour with bk being the only way to end it for both sides. Good luck!
            (first 341 10/14/09, cont'd 341 10/23/09) (12/14/09 last day to object) (341 Shows HELD w/tt report of no distribution 1/9/2010)
            :clapping Discharged 1/25/2010 Case Closed 3/11/2010:D

Comment

Originally posted by waitinggame View Post
              Hi all,

Sorry if this has been addressed - I am really confused. On Line 9 of Schedule J - Recreation, clubs and entertainment, newspapers, magazines, etc. - what is reasonable expense?

My attorney has said ZERO in that line for a Chapter 13. She said it will raise questions. I live in Pennsylvania. I was thinking around $150 - we do belong to several military veteran's clubs, would still like to buy grandchildren gifts every now and then, maybe even go out for dinner once a month? Those aren't allowed in a Chapter 13?

Any help would be appreciated.
              I have NEVER put zero there. I always put $100 ot $150 for a family of four. It's never been questioned. You're not going to prison, you're filing bankruptcy. You're still entitled to have a life. Dinner out once a month and a couple of hundred dollars on grandkids at Christmas is not excessive.
              Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

I have a family of 5 and I listed $125 for entertainment. I had no issues.
                Chapter 13 Filed (Pro Se) - 9/30/09
                Confirmation Date - 12/1/09
                Stats - $1752/month, 29/36 completed, 4% to Unsecured, Lien Stripped 2nd Mortgage

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
                  I have NEVER put zero there. I always put $100 ot $150 for a family of four. It's never been questioned. You're not going to prison, you're filing bankruptcy. You're still entitled to have a life. Dinner out once a month and a couple of hundred dollars on grandkids at Christmas is not excessive.
                  thanks for saying that. About prison and all. SInce I often feeel like it's going to be a 5 year sentance. I asked my husband what we should get eachother for our anniversary on the 5th. He said "bankruptcy is our gift of 4 more committed years together". LOL.

Comment

While I don't recommend you doing what I did, I put $400 on Schedule J Line 9 and was never questioned about it.
                    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I put $75 and got an objection.
                      March 2009 - Filed Ch 13 April 2009 - 341 Meeting
                      Sept 2009 - Confirmed April 2014 Plan completed May 2014 - Discharged!!

Comment

What type of objection did you get to $75/month and did your trustee allow anything at all?

Comment

Originally posted by NoTomatoCan View Post
                          What type of objection did you get to $75/month and did your trustee allow anything at all?
                          "The Chapter 13 budget reflects a $75.00 per month
                          recreation expense; thereby, preventing the contribution of all
                          monthly disposable income to the zero percent (0%) composition
                          Plan. 11 U.S.C. Section 1325(a)(3)."

My plan was actually 24 % (at the initial filing - after I stripped my 2nd and 3rd, it bumped up to about 32%) but on the document submitted the % field was left as 0% on the item below. Eventhough, that was corrected, , all subsequent revisions to sched J had $0 for the entertainment expense as there was concern the objection would stay unless there was a significant % payback.

"7. Unsecured Claims. Debtor estimates that the total of general unsecured debt not separately classified in Plan paragraph 10 is
                          $ _____. After all other classes have been paid, Trustee will pay to the creditors with allowed general unsecured claims a pro rata
                          share of $ ______ or ____%, whichever is greater. Trustee is authorized to increase this dollar amount or percentage, if necessary, in
                          order to comply with the applicable commitment period stated in paragraph 2 of this Plan."
                          March 2009 - Filed Ch 13 April 2009 - 341 Meeting
                          Sept 2009 - Confirmed April 2014 Plan completed May 2014 - Discharged!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X