top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 Taxes Due, Are they considered unsecured?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2009 Taxes Due, Are they considered unsecured?

Where will they figure in my 2009 taxes that are due?

I know they are a priority claim and have to be paid in full, which would make them secure, right?

I would like to surrender our home, but the deficiency would put us near 320,000 in unsecured debt nearing us to the limit in a 13 and I'm really hoping taxes don't fall in the unsecure category.

Taxes are unsecured.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

FYI, unsecured debt limit increases to an estimated $360,525 on April 1st, 2010.
      Filed CH13 - 06/2009
      Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

Forgotten,
        Really!!!?? Not sure that even helps. Have 82K in CC, 40K in Taxes plus whatever the deficiency will be on our underwater mortgage. Current market is about 200K and I owe 394K on the first and 50K on a second. Puts me at about 366,000. I guess we will try to pay some taxes before filing.

Thanks!

Comment

Be careful with that... Payments over $600 to unsecured - even the IRS - can be called back by the trustee to distribute evenly.

How accurate do you think the $200k value is? If its worth a little more, you might be able to squeak by in ~4 1/2 weeks with a little more secured, a little less unsecured.
          Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo

Comment

duplicate - not sure how I did that?

Comment

Originally posted by SMinGA View Post
              Be careful with that... Payments over $600 to unsecured - even the IRS - can be called back by the trustee to distribute evenly
              I'm not so sure about that... I don't see a point in doing a clawback since the IRS is a priority debt. If you took back $800 from the IRS you would have to mail it right back because they are first in line as a priority debt and they get paid at 100%.

Plus, the chapter 13 debt limit is your unsecured debt at time of filing. You could probably make a preferential payment to get you under that and win over any debt limit objection, even though the trutsee could take the payment back to distribute it.
              Filed CH13 - 06/2009
              Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

I read that in one of the threads here in the past 2 days... Someone asked about paying down his tax debt ahead of filing. I'll look for it...

Comment

Here it is:

Much of it might go back to the IRS, but if the trustee can grab it he/she will. And get to keep x% of it. Here the trustee gets 5.4%, some places are higher.

Comment

SMinGA, thank you for the link.
                    A trustee grabbing your money back from the IRS? That's scary! Just found out we will be able to pay about half of our taxes on time and would put us back under the limit for unsecured debt.

So here is where it gets tricky and I will have to talk to our attorney next week and see what he says... if the trustee pulled the money back we technically couldn't qualify for a 13 or we wouldn't be able to surrender our house. With ALL taxes included, We're at about 366,000 - still over the raised limit.

This will definitely be an interesting adventure. Thanks to all for your help.

Comment

Its a unsecured priority creditor, meaning "I am next in line, move bitc*."

Comment

LOL! That's exactly what I would expect the IRS to say. Thank you for the comic relief.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X