How is variable income treated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is variable income treated?

Your last six month's income will be averaged to determine your monthly income.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
      Your last six month's income will be averaged to determine your monthly income.

And NO CONSIDERATION will be given to your incomes fluxuations. Your payment will be what it is. This is what is keeping us from filing.

You can petition for an adjustment, but not until you can prove your income has changed and that may take time. You may also have to pay your attorney more each time you try and have it adjusted.

Comment

Well, it can be tough, but a number must be reached somehow. In more stable times, you can average your income over 1 or 2 years (but my guess is, your income was probably higher 2 years ago than it is now). Sometimes, if you can show a predictable pattern of increase and decrease, you can do tiered payments (e.g. Jan-April $600 per month, but Oct-Dec, $400 per month). But, the idea of a chapter 13 is to create predictability in the plan. So, you will need to have extra discipline to SAVE during the good months to make it through the lean months.

From a practical standpoint, is the home worth saving and even if it is worth saving, can you afford it. Ask yourself this, if you DID NOT get a modification, could you afford the home? If the answer is no, then forget, let it go. But for trying to keep the house, could you qualify for chapter 7?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by furr2ball View Post
            will I be able to keep large sums in savings for future payments and unforeseen expenses?
            After you file, yes. But, if you have balances on the date of filing that you can't exempt under your state's bankruptcy exemptions, the amount paid to unsecured creditors during the life of your plan must equal or exceed the non-exempt cash (and any other non-exempt assets).
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
              After you file, yes. But, if you have balances on the date of filing that you can't exempt under your state's bankruptcy exemptions, the amount paid to unsecured creditors during the life of your plan must equal or exceed the non-exempt cash (and any other non-exempt assets).
              I must be a little thick today I do not follow, could you please give me an example or direct me to a guideline for referance. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by furr2ball View Post
                I must be a little thick today I do not follow, could you please give me an example or direct me to a guideline for referance. Thank you
                When you file bankruptcy, how much cash you can have on hand on filing day depends on how much cash can be protected by the bk exemptions in the state you file in. Some states allow more cash to be on hand than others. You need to ask your attorney what to expect when you file so you can plan ahead. In our case, our state has no exemptions that protect cash, so our lawyer advised us to have less than $250 in our accounts on filing day.

However, after you file it's a different story. That's when you can save all the extra money you make on the higher income months to carry you over during your leaner months. After your confirmation, how much cash is in your savings and/or checking accounts doesn't matter except in very unusual situations (like winning the lottery ).
                Last edited by lrprn; 03-19-2010, 10:03 PM.
                I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
                  When you file bankruptcy, how much cash you can have on hand on filing day depends on the bk exemptions in the state you file in. Some states allow more cash than others. You need to ask your attorney what to expect when you file.

However, after you file it's a different story. That's when you can save all the extra money you make on the higher income months to carry you over during your leaner months. After your confirmation, how much cash is in your savings and/or checking accounts doesn't matter very much.
                  LOL, that is a much shorter explanation than I finished typing before getting an email saying there was another reply to this thread. My many words don't add anything. Your good, lrprn!

Comment

I'm in the same boat. I filed and my wife didn't. They looked at our average income over the last 6 months and can up with a number for my plan. At the 341 meeting the trustee asked for 2 more months of my profit and loss statements. My attorney said the trustee was checking to see if he could get more money out of me and they may ask for more P & L statements in the future. I was told that if they ask for more money my attorney will try and do a payment step up to put off the trustee and then if I have another 4 to 6 months of low income they will convert me over to a chapter 7. House is not in plan so a 7 is a better deal with my income, or lack of it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X