top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tax refund and reduction of payment plan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax refund and reduction of payment plan.

I'm 2 years into my 5 year 13 plan. I'm getting about $1700 back in taxes because of overpayment. I'm self employed and business was way down last year. My plan calls for the trustee to get all tax refunds. I'm waiting for a return call to see if my attorney can petition the court for me to keep the money. I sent a letter to my trustee asking if I could keep the money and he wrote back that my attorney would have to petition the court. Anyway, if the courts says no, then will the $1700 reduce the time of my plan? My plan calls for part of the money to go to the CU for my truck and the rest goes to my attorney fees. None goes to credit cards.

Thanks!
    Andy
    Filed CH13 November 2008
    341 with confirmation recommendation Jan 7/09 100% payback to secured and 10% to unsecured.Plan completed and discharge 02/20/13

Originally posted by Andyman View Post
    Anyway, if the courts says no, then will the $1700 reduce the time of my plan?
    Unless your plan is a 100% payback to all creditors who filed claims, then unfortunately the extra $1700 will simply increase your unsecured creditors' payback %. It won't shorten your plan even one day.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
      Unless your plan is a 100% payback to all creditors who filed claims, then unfortunately the extra $1700 will simply increase your unsecured creditors' payback %. It won't shorten your plan even one day.
      None of the unsecured creditors are in my plan.
      Filed CH13 November 2008
      341 with confirmation recommendation Jan 7/09 100% payback to secured and 10% to unsecured.Plan completed and discharge 02/20/13

Comment

Originally posted by Andyman View Post
        None of the unsecured creditors are in my plan.
        That doesn't make sense. What do you mean by that statement? Are you saying that not one unsecured creditor filed a claim, or are you saying that you're in a 0% plan?

If you're in a 0% plan with unsecured creditors, that still means that they are entitled to any "disposable" income, and the tax refund is definitely "disposable" income. The Trustee would distribute it to those hungry unsecured creditors.

If not one unsecured creditor filed a claim, the Trustee may still take it to pay your priority debt (taxes) which are still "unsecured".
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
          That doesn't make sense. What do you mean by that statement? Are you saying that not one unsecured creditor filed a claim, or are you saying that you're in a 0% plan?

If you're in a 0% plan with unsecured creditors, that still means that they are entitled to any "disposable" income, and the tax refund is definitely "disposable" income. The Trustee would distribute it to those hungry unsecured creditors.

If not one unsecured creditor filed a claim, the Trustee may still take it to pay your priority debt (taxes) which are still "unsecured".
          I had 3 credit cards and a car loan when I filed. the car loan (credit union) was the only creditor that was included in my plan along with my attorney fees. The credit card companies didn't file a claim. I pay $310 a month for 5 years and have about 42 payments left. Of the $310...part goes to the credit union, part goes to the lawyer and the trustee keeps a percentage. My plan calls for me to give all tax refunds to the trustee. The first year I was able apply any overpayments of tax (I'm self employeed) to my estimated quarterlies. This past year I didn't make much so ended up with not only applying to this years estimates but also in getting refunds. Hope that helps?
          Filed CH13 November 2008

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X