top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying for TSA Federal Job during Chapter 13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applying for TSA Federal Job during Chapter 13?

I'm going to my confirmation meeting on May 5. My 341 was on March 31. I applied for a job in the TSA. My assessment test will be May12. By the time they run my credit score it will be late May. My question is about passing the credit check. They state you will not pass if

If your credit check reveals any of the following, YOU WILL NOT
    BE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS POSITION:

Defaulted on $7,500 or more in debt (excluding certain
    circumstances of bankruptcy).

Owe any delinquent Federal or State taxes.

Owe any past due child support payments.

I'm good in all sections but the default of 7,500. I'm not in a 100% payment plan on my 13 and the amount I defaulted in credit cards was about $20,000.

Does anybody know if Bankruptcy helps you out or hurt your chances? What are the certain circumstances of bankruptcy?

Thanks

TSA Self Assessment

Cumulative delinquent debt of $7,500.00 or more.

(Delinquent debt is: (1) any past due accounts that have been sent from a creditor to a collection agency or attorney for action; (2) any unpaid balance that has been reported as a loss to a creditor; (3) a repossession; (4) a court judgment that has not been satisfied; (5) a foreclosure on property or assets; or (6) any debts that have not been dismissed through a bankruptcy agreement.)
    To me, "any debts that have not been dismissed through a bankruptcy" would mean that if you were discharged, then you have no debt. However, I am not and haven't applied for a TSA job, so I don't know exactly what #6 means.

Since you're in a chapter 13, I don't think you'd have a discharge ("dismissed") yet. This may be a factor.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Anyone else have a take?

thanks,
      justbroke

Comment

Here's your clue..."Defaulted on $7,500 or more in debt (excluding certain
        circumstances of bankruptcy)" and "(6) any debts that have not been dismissed through a bankruptcy agreement.) " You need to find out what is meant by "certain circumstances of bankruptcy." Also, since you are in an active Chapter 13, that may be the breaker as you are not yet discharged. Before you keep guessing about this, if you are truly concerned about obtaining this job and passing all requirements, I would talk to an attorney experienced in federal hiring practices (i.e., Labor Law attorney...).

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I had gotten a secret DoD clearance with my Chapter 13. I was on my way to try for a TS clearance from State when I pulled the plug on that idea. I'd say that if you can explain your situation it is worth going forward.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X