recording successfully stripped mortgage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recording successfully stripped mortgage

Silly question... upon completion of a plan with a successfully stripped mortgage, is it the creditor's responsibility to record the release of the lien? Alternatively, does the debtor's recording of the order stripping the lien along with the discharge order serve as sufficient notice to other parties that the lien was in fact stripped?
    Comments are not, nor are they intended to be, legal advice. Replies to posts do not creat an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.

Yes, it's the responsibility of the lienholder to record a satisfaction of mortgage. In some Districts, the order stripping the lien is recordable, but probably not in a recordable format.

If you have trouble, I'd re-open the case to force the lienholder to record the satisfaction of lien. The satisfaction should be recorded within 30 days after discharge.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks so much!!
      Comments are not, nor are they intended to be, legal advice. Replies to posts do not creat an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.

Comment

Here's how it works in Northern CA:

7. Standard-form Orders. If the court determines that a motion to strip lien should be granted, the court will employ the standard-form ORDER VALUING LIEN OF [NAME OF LIENHOLDER], attached hereto as Appendix A. If the debtor’s plan is confirmed and completed and debtor receives a discharge, on request of the Debtor the court will enter the standard-form JUDGMENT VOIDING LIEN OF [NAME OF LIENHOLDER], attached hereto as Appendix B, after 10 days notice to the affected lienholder and opportunity for a hearing. If the debtor’s chapter 11 or chapter 13 case is dismissed or converted before debtor receives a discharge, on request of the “stripped” lienholder or other party in interest, the court will enter the standard-form ORDER RESTORING LIEN OF [NAME OF LIENHOLDER], attached hereto as Appendix C, after 10 days notice to debtor and opportunity for a hearing. NOTE: The standard-form orders attached contain language typically used to identify real property collateral. Where the motion concerns personal property, the debtor should complete the standard-form order with a description appropriate to the type of collateral (e.g., for vehicle, use manufacturer, model, year, and vehicle identification number).
        Source: http://www.canb.uscourts.gov/procedu...-cases-and-cha

The debtor would record the Judgment Voiding Lien with the County Recorder.

You might want to check your court's website to see if there is any guidance.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

wabkatty, I just noticed your name indicates you are a BK attorney in WA. Posting here seems like an odd way for you to figure out how to represent your clients. If you don't have experience with a particular issue and your research doesn't answer your questions, don't you have a mentor or peer group you can turn to?
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

California is much more organized than Florida.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
              California is much more organized than Florida.
              They're pretty much rubber stamped as long as all of the paperwork is there. In the Central District they have another silly requirement that the appraiser include a declaration stating that he is a licensed appraiser and that he appraised the house... you know separate from the actual appraisal that says that he is a licensed appraiser and he appraised the house It was a new requirement which actually got my first filing dismissed because it was missing.

Comment

Originally posted by walkthaplank View Post
                They're pretty much rubber stamped as long as all of the paperwork is there. In the Central District they have another silly requirement that the appraiser include a declaration stating that he is a licensed appraiser and that he appraised the house... you know separate from the actual appraisal that says that he is a licensed appraiser and he appraised the house It was a new requirement which actually got my first filing dismissed because it was missing.
                That's crazy! Northern District is apparently much more lax. My attorney is going to use Zillow for the value, combined with 1/1/09 assessed value from when my county lowered assessments across the board for residences purchased after a certain date. He's sure that's enough, maybe because of how underwater the 1st is. But I've decided to prepared to get an appraisal, just in case.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X