top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chapter 13 stays on your credit report for how long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 13 stays on your credit report for how long?

There seems to be conflicting information about this.

Can someone please clarify how long the Ch. 13 stays on your credit and when the timer actually starts? Some say the clock starts when you file, some say when it's discharged.
    Ch. 13
    5 payments down, 55 to go

I think chapter 13 BK will stay on your credit for 7 years. Chapter 7 BK will stay for 10 years.
    Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

While the law provides that any bankruptcy can stay on your credit report for 10 years, the Credit Reporting Industry has decided to keep Chapter 13s on there for 7 years and Chapter 7s for the entire 10 years.

The clock is from the filing date! I have a Chapter 13 converted to a Chapter 7 on my public records section. It definitely shows that it's 10 years from the filing of the Chapter 13 (since it's a converted case).
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

7 years from the date of filing. We filed in 4/02...it was totally off our reports by the beginning of May 2009.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

file date, file date, file date -- except for taxes. Evil.

Comment

I'm thrilled it's 7 years from the file date!
            Thanks so much for the clarification, wnguyen, justbroke, Flamingo and df04527.
            Ch. 13
            5 payments down, 55 to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X