Get a 0% interest cc before discharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get a 0% interest cc before discharge?

I was wondering - since bankruptcy, I have significantly increased my credit scores. I am up at or over 650 I believe from all 3 bureaus. The other day I filled out my first credit application ever since filing and was approved for almost $10,000. I only spent $340 on it and don't plan to spend much more than that on it, if any at all, unless we get my wife a new wedding ring when we get our finances more in order. It is a store card from a Jewelry store (Kay's). With my credit score being up but still being in my chap 13 for 3-4 more months, do you think I would be able to score a 0% credit card? If not, do you think I will be able to immediately after discharge because of my credit score?

I'm not allowed to incur any debt without approval by the trustee. I believe debtors in some districts are allowed to incur small amounts of debt without approval. I hope your in one of those districts.

I don't know if they offer 0% rates to people fresh out of BK. But, I strongly recommend you save to buy your wife a new wedding ring. To build a strong credit rating, charge only small amounts that you can pay off every month. Don't waste your fresh start by using credit to live beyond your means. If you charge something you can't buy for cash, you are living beyond your means.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

To echo what Lady says... wanting a 0% credit card sort of indicates that you intend to carry a balance (hence needing a lower interest rate). That seems like a really bad idea, and sort of a bad mind set to get in coming fresh out of BK.

Comment

Creditors are going to see you are applying for credit while still in your plan or so soon after discharge when you hit that point. Hard credit inquiries stay on your records for two years. If you start applying for credit all over the place hoping to get a 0% card, you will just get denials. I know you are anxious to start over at the end of your plan but if you rush around like mad thinking all creditors are going to give you credit, you are in for a shock when you get a denial and it will happen due to your bankruptcy. Not all creditors are BK friendly and I would not expect a 0% interest card for at least a few years or more until you establish yourself as creditworthy again in that creditor's eyes. Some creditors blacklist permanently those that include that creditor in a BK filing and will not ever extend credit again.

Time is your friend after discharge. Take your time and try to be prudent or you will again be posting on here asking questions why you are getting denials since you just got a great "jewelry" store credit card which is good for jewelry only.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I have to have permission from the trustee before I can incur any debt over $500.
          Filed: 5/22/07; 341 Hearing: 6/27/07;
          Confirmed: 8/13/07; DISCHARGED 4/17/2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X