Living by a budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by momofthree View Post
    Here's the corn chowder recipe I use, I add in garlic (because I add garlic to everything, lmao), and a bit of celery, and omit the shrimp. I also have to use a cream substitute, I'm sure it's even better with the real thing.

I get a lot of recipes from All You Magazine.
    thanks! i copying and pasting the site now....i have a "recipe" folder and we LOVE soups....expensive, healthy way to eat and be full.....

if it makes you feel any better mom....i'm going to use extra yucky skim milk...ok? LOL!!!
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
      i'm sure your homemade sauce is wondrous as well....i'm married to an Italian...i really didn't understand it was a pre rec to the marriage vows but apparently, it was very important and one MUST know how to make and produce "sauce" much like babies...LOL!!! (where i was born and raised Italian only meant a few extra vowels in your name)...so, i had no idea it meant serious red stuff here! ;)
      My husband is Italian too (at least half anyway, his father's adopted so he doesn't know the other half and pretends he's all italian). It was with great pain that he finally admitted I make a better sauce than his mother who is a first generation Brooklyn Italian. But, his poor mother is cooking for a husband who doesn't like garlic or onion. So, she uses powdered garlic and onion. I'm sure that's what makes the difference. Fresh herbs help too. I don't think I could live with somebody who doesn't like onion and garlic!

momofthree, do you eat quinoa? In case you don't know, it's a great gluten free grain that requires only 5 minutes in boiling water to cook and is a complete protein.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

LadyInThe Red:My husband is Italian too (at least half anyway, his father's adopted so he doesn't know the other half and pretends he's all italian). It was with great pain that he finally admitted I make a better sauce than his mother who is a first generation Brooklyn Italian. But, his poor mother is cooking for a husband who doesn't like garlic or onion. So, she uses powdered garlic and onion. I'm sure that's what makes the difference. Fresh herbs help too. I don't think I could live with somebody who doesn't like onion and garlic!
        my mom ALWAYS use to say if you have a bit of garlic and fresh onion and an egg...you are there!! LOL!! i can't imagine how your mother in law does it...although, i must tell you my husband's family never used much onion...(that would be a sin in my family). actually, the cooks in the part of Italy where my husband's family come from throw everything in to a pot of red stuff. i rather like the "northern" style of Italian myself.... hahaha...so you make better sauce than HIS mom...now that's really IT!!

my husband is first generation american...born here...so his family is right off the old boat! i was a smart one...watched his sister, mom and grandmother....bless them all...and now the aunts say i make great food...as a woman, one can not be paid a better compliment in an Italian family as you must already know! i had german parents...just throw it in a pot and boil it up!! LOL!! but my mom was a great cook as well, just very different.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
          I don't think I could live with somebody who doesn't like onion and garlic!
          Amen, Sista! I add onion and garlic to everything, and if something already calls for it, I triple or quadruple the amount. Love love love garlic and onions!

momofthree, do you eat quinoa? In case you don't know, it's a great gluten free grain that requires only 5 minutes in boiling water to cook and is a complete protein.
          Hmmm...I've heard of quinoa but I've never tried it. We tend to eat a ton of brown rice. Is it similar to that? May have to try the quinoa. Is it fairly inexpensive? *off to search*
          Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
          0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

have you tried OHSO's.....they are OH so sweet onions...i have only been able to find them ONCE in my life...you can peel them and i swear they are sweet like an apple!!!! i cut them in half and stuffed them and then put them on the grill........they were soooooooooo good!!!

Comment

Here's a website for crockpot recipes that are gluten free:

Crockpot Slow Cooker Recipes by NYT Best-Selling Author Stephanie ODea from "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow" and "A Year of Slow Cooking" (crockpot365).

We aren't gluten free, but we eat mostly organic. I've noticed a lot of the organic brand names also offer gluten free lines of products. Just an FYI or those who have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by papie View Post
                Here's a website for crockpot recipes that are gluten free:

Crockpot Slow Cooker Recipes by NYT Best-Selling Author Stephanie ODea from "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow" and "A Year of Slow Cooking" (crockpot365).

We aren't gluten free, but we eat mostly organic. I've noticed a lot of the organic brand names also offer gluten free lines of products. Just an FYI or those who have to deal with that.
                I actually already have that site bookmarked! It's great! If you ever make the albondigas soup, leave out the mint, it totally ruins it!
                Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
                0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Originally posted by momofthree View Post
                  Hmmm...I've heard of quinoa but I've never tried it. We tend to eat a ton of brown rice. Is it similar to that? May have to try the quinoa. Is it fairly inexpensive? *off to search*
                  It's sorta like brown rice in that it has kind of a nutty flavor. But, the texture is different. I don't know how to describe it. My guess is it costs more than brown rice, but I don't know for sure. My husband brings it home from work every now and then, so I've never actually bought it.
                  LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                  Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                  $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X