top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little over 2 years into 13 ~ can I get financial aid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little over 2 years into 13 ~ can I get financial aid?

I would like to go back to school beginning this summer. Will my 13 affect any financial aid I apply for?

I've looked this up before and the answer is that you can still get financial aid if you've filed BK. You of course couldn't get private student loans, but from the Fed, sure. I don't have the link to offer you though, I'm sorry. Check out Sallie Mae's site, they probably have it written out.
    Filed Chapter 7 on 2/22/11, 341 meeting held 3/30/11, relief of stay on foreclosure 4/12/11, relief of stay on auto 5/17/11, Discharge on 6/6/11!

Comment

Probably not in fact it may help - speak with the financial aid person at the school you wish to attend. There are various options available for people with financial issues and they will work with you.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I am in a graduate program and am receiving student loans. Yes, they are aware of the bankruptcy. I would not be able to attend school otherwise.

Comment

No, bankruptcy will not keep you from getting federal loans. Stafford loans would be the most common. You won't be able to take on any private loans though. If you need any more information on federal loans or the FAFSA I'll be glad to help.

Comment

Here's the link to the FinAid page on bankruptcy and student loans - http://www.finaid.org/questions/bankruptcy.phtml. You'll find this a wealth of reliable information about what's possible around student loans during an active bankruptcy. Good luck!
            I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
            06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
            07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
            10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
            01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
            09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
            06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
            08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
            Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Thank you, thank you for all of the information! I will check into these! You have given me a bit of peace of mind.

Comment

I got my student loans while going through a chapter 7. The only thing the school may ask is a signed statement from your trustee that it is okay to obtain the student loans. Even though I was going through a 7 I had to have a signed statement that the trustee was finished with my case and was awaiting a discharge from my debts. I had to also submit the information the trustee put on pacer stating this information and my lawyers information.
                Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
                341 meeting on 5/28/2010
                Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

what are the student loans are you receiving while you have a bankruptcy?

Comment

Originally posted by Exployer1234 View Post
                    I got my student loans while going through a chapter 7. The only thing the school may ask is a signed statement from your trustee that it is okay to obtain the student loans. Even though I was going through a 7 I had to have a signed statement that the trustee was finished with my case and was awaiting a discharge from my debts. I had to also submit the information the trustee put on pacer stating this information and my lawyers information.
                    what type of student loans are you receiving?

Comment

student2011- I receive Stafford loans. It's the only federal financial aid in which I am eligible due to income guidelines.

Comment

I have three children in college. I have filed for chap 13 my husband has not. You will get financial aid no problem. Also I have since I filed got 25000 in parent plus loans for my kids. The funny part is that they make both parents apply my husband's credit is perfect and I am in a chap 13 he always gets denied and I get approved all the time. I dont understand.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X