My Stock skyrockets but I dont think I can sell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Stock skyrockets but I dont think I can sell

So I bought a tech stock back in 2008 under $3 a share and just looked in on it and it is now over $31 !!!! I have 200 shares in it! I wish I could sell but I don't think I have the cash excemption to do so. My luck is it goes way back down. When we filed it was at $18....Goodness it would be nice to sock that cash away.
    I am soo bummed :-(
    Filed CH13/5yr 7/29/10
    341 10/7/10
    Confirmed 11/7/10

Probate code Section 1327(b) provides
    Except as otherwise provided in the plan or the order confirming the plan, the confirmation of a plan vests all of the property of the estate in the debtor.

The exemption applies at the time of filing. So, converting an exempt asset to cash after confirmation shouldn't be a problem, as long as neither the plan nor the confirmation order prohibits the sale of the asset. The question is, would your capital gain be considered income that the trustee could get? Check with your attorney.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks! I am planning on shooting an email off to them and see what they say.
      Filed CH13/5yr 7/29/10
      341 10/7/10
      Confirmed 11/7/10

Comment

You should be able to sell it as long as you get trustee permission. Be aware that you will have to pay taxes on it though.
        Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
        0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Your stock gains will have to be listed on your tax returns for the year in which you received the gain and you will receive documentation as to the gain from the company or its agent that they have sent into the IRS. It will be considered income/funds that you will need to report to your attorney/trustee since you are still in your Chapter 13. To avoid issues and/or possible dismissal if you sell the stock and receive the gain, talk to your attorney before you do anything as to that stock.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Check with your attorney.

Mine said don't even call unless an event causes a change greater than $ 10,000. You'd be under that on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
              Check with your attorney.

Mine said don't even call unless an event causes a change greater than $ 10,000. You'd be under that on this one.
              That is rare. Most confirmations specifically require permission to sell any asset or incur any debt over a certain dollar amount, most commonly this amount is around $500.
              Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
              0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X