New job while in 13...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New job while in 13...

I'm in an active Ch 13 and trying to find a better job, most likely in the healthcare, receptionist/administrative assistant, insurance (customer service) fields.

On the applications, there are the standard releases for credit/background checks, but I'm trying to determine if employers do that prior to interviewing or only after hire. I would hate to put in my notice only to find out oops...sorry after a job had been offered.

I also want to know from others who have been through the process if you volunteered the information, if/when your credit check was run, and if any employment offers were withdrawn due to issues with the bk.

Thanks!

There's no consistency in how potential employers handle credit and security checks. Some are prompt and screen everyone. Some are check only one or the other depending on the job being filled. A few don't check anything.

If the application or an interviewer straight out asks, "Have you ever filed bankruptcy?" then it's best to answer it truthfully. Be sure to emphasize that you filed Ch 13 and repaid as much of your debt as you could.

However, if no one asks the question and the form doesn't mention it, then it's fine to stay quiet about filing.

I work in health care now, and most of the time hospitals do check credit files. However, bk is typically not a deal-breaker for most hospitals.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

lrpn is excellent as always. If I may - do NOT quit a job until everything is done on your new job!!!!!

Comment

Do a search in this forum on your subject - there are numerous postings consistent with your questions and some experiences. To be on the safe side, in today's business world expect a credit and background check to be run. At least 60% or more employers will run a credit check; almost all will probably run a background check. Expect it. Depending on if you handle finances, have access to peoples' social security numbers or other financial/account information, a BK on your credit report may or may not be a factor. If in doubt and you are called in for an interview and it bothers you, be open and honest about your situation with your interviewer as to why you had to file and that your BK filing will not affect in any way your performance in the prospective new position for which you are applying.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

agree with the others - but would like to add until you actually get the offer in writing and everything is done (i.e, drug testing, background, etc), dont put in your notice at your current job. Many times the offer of employment may come in writing, however the stipulation is also there "pending background / drug screen check", which means until that comes through, they can revoke the offer.

If you must give them an answer prior to the tests / backgrounds coming back - write an addendum to the job offer letter stating that no notice will be given to your current employer until all checks have been received by potential employer. You can also state upon checks returning, you will then provide 2 weeks notice to current employer and a start date for future employer.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Pandora actually answered the question I was asking. I had read the threads on the forum and several people said they had been offered a job, but then went on to say they were anxious about the background check and worried that offer would be withdrawn. But Pandora provided the info I needed because I was wondering how the two week notice was handled if the offer was contingent on the background checks and also when to put in notice at the current place of employment, but the info contained in the post above helped with that. Thanks!!

re: volunteering the info, of course I would answer honestly if asked; I just meant has anyone volunteered it prior to the background check in order to provide explanation.

Comment

Ineedinfo hello - I volunteered it twice - once for my present job - turns out didn't matter as credit check wasn't necessary for my position; second time for a job I wound up not taking - again no credit check...so...I think you need sort of feel things out...?

Comment

OK; thanks. I have a tendency to volunteer too much. I just don't want anyone to think I'm trying to sneak by with something.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by ineedinfo View Post
                  OK; thanks. I have a tendency to volunteer too much. I just don't want anyone to think I'm trying to sneak by with something.

Thanks for the info!
                  RIGHT!!! The thing is, it's sort of hard to know...if they don't have you sign the credit reporting form, then don't worry about it...one job I almost took last year (and perhaps I should have...) but anyway, had filled out the full credit reporting "stuff" and all they did was to check on my birthday, address, demographic "stuff." TO make sure I'm me - not the "credit" part....BUT sometimes it's hard to know...so that's why I say don't be like me :-) Try to sniff it out....

Also, try looking at the company that you'll be working for on www.glassdoor.com - reviews for most places from present/past employees.

Comment

I think for the most part it is a bluff, unless you are in a money handling job.
                    I think they want to check that the SSN you're using belongs to you, there is a database for employers to check.
                    Beyond that, it probably depends on the job.
                    filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

I just have to put my 2 cents in...... after an extremely hard hard 3 years and almost 1 year of it in my chap 13... I finally got an amazing new job making the same amount as I made before to do-do hit the fan and I was down sized!. I personally waited until the made me the offer and then I told them. I waited to give notice until they cleared the chap 13 with HR and I had a signed contract. I was told that because so many people are in the same situation that the 13 was/is no bearing on my ability to do the job... in fact they were impressed by the fact that I am taking accountability for my debt and also by lessons I have learned and now with my new big girl job I should actually be able to pay back 100% of debt (as opposed to the 20% plan that I am in!!) Now I just have to file my new plan.
                      I wish you all the best!
                      Filed 7/17/10 1st 341 8/17/10 2nd 341 9/16/10 1st confirmation 10/06/10 2nd confirmation 11/10/10 Bar Date 11/15/10 3rd and final confirmation hearing Dec 8 and acceptance of plan Dec 29 2010....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X